The Pre Royal Navy Course (ratings) a reviewWhen I first applyed for the navy and was told about the course, I wanted to find out as much information as i could about what was expected of me, what I would get to do and what was PASS/FAIL.
I found very little about the course apart from some very iteresting advice from RUM RAT who said and I quote
"The two replies thus far whilst bieng comical are of course flippant.
What you should strive to portray is smart but practical.
I always found A loose fitting dress with a decent pair of thigh length boots to be fetching.
And a sword. Always carry a sword. Mine is Pork but very practical"
So as I have now attended and passed the course Iwould like to pass on some of what my class did:
Before i start the best source (sometimes) of accurate information is your AFCO always check any information with your AFCO
So you arrive at fareham train station where you are met by a member of the RNAC staff and transported to HMS COLLINGWOOD via mini bus, you are taken straight to your mess block where you are issued with your passes and locker keys Do Not Lose Your Pass it is an official document and if you lose it no one will be allowed to leave the base until it is found.
The RNAC staff are some of the nicest people you will ever meet funny and fair as long as you fall in line and dont piss them off you will have a right laugh, anyone who has met the older scottish guy will know what I mean. Now for the important points
- The morning after you arrive they will ask if anyone has any injuries one person was removed from the course that day because he had a pain behind the knee (the lesson being inform your AFCO before you go)
- You will be sat in a breifing room for many hours throughout the cource watching powerpoint presentations about the navy (DO NOT FALL ASLEEP)
- You will be made to stand infront of your class (in my case 28 people) and talk about yourself what you like to be called, where your from,why you want to join the navy etc
- you will be told to get out of bed at 6:30 you will however get up at 6 so you can make your beds and tidy your rooms ready for inspection (p.s theres a prize for the best one)
- The food is really good there cantine is not unlike a motorway service station (not really selling it am I)
IMPORTANT PASS/FAIL STUFF
- The 2.4km run is undertaken on a all weather 5 a side football pitch its 8 and a quatre laps
- You are given extra time for your run, I was given (as a 28 year old male) 12:48 to do the run
- DO NOT use your extra time for your run you will be expected to give 100% at all times and be so ****ed at the end of your run that you are unable to speak
- PRESS UPS and SIT UPS are done under the instruction of a PTI
- Do not piss of the PTI they are the only members of staff that can give you more than 10 press ups as a punishment
- Things that piss a PTI off are fidgeting, swearing ,lazyness, fidgeting, fidgeting and fidgeting
- Always run in the gym no one walks in the gym
- PRESS UPS and SIT UPS are done to a bleep recording to a maximum of 40 press ups and 60 situps you will be expected to hit the beep every time and are given one warning before being told to stop
- THE SWIM TEST is in three parts the first is simple just swim 50 meters in a swimming costume and get out at the deep end
- IMPORTANT the edge of the pool at the deep end is about a foot higher than the surface of the water
- For the second part you are given a boiler suit and told to get in at the deep end (do in all the way up and make sure to roll the sleves up so you dont have extra material flapping around) you tread water for 4 minutes then swim about 60 meters (two lengths of a 33 meter pool but you stop at some flags so you dont go into the shallow end)
- For the third part you jump/step off a three meter high (it seems higher when you up there trust me) wearing your boiler suit and swim to the side of the pool and get out, you can use the steps
THE FUN STUFF :smilebox:
- MARCHING: you will march everywhere to lunch, gym everywhere, we had a royal marine teach us he was right laugh (he will take the piss out of you)
- DISMOUNTED COMBAT TRAINING: if you remember those big time crysis arcade machines with light guns its that but with camo nets and sa80 rifles
- TEAM BUILDING: great fun stuff like simonsays (petty officer says), problem solving (get the bomb out of the contaminated zone), egg and spoon race and so on
- CIRCUITS: give 100% the OIC will be watching and it will be the best workout ever
- SHIPS VISIT: we were lucky enough to go on HMS ILLUSTRIOUS
- MAKING FREINDS:if you arent good freinds with at least half the class by the time you leave you have some serius social flaws
- CHAPLAINCY VIST:yes church.its alright they dont shove religeon down your throat you watch a video about what the bish does the you go play pool or fifa and have a drink (non-alcholic) and have a chat with your class mates for a bit
and thats just a small,very simplified list of what my class got up to and the prize at the end is a certificate , a class photo, remember to smile they took ours straight after the run and i dont look very happy lol
Last edited by a moderator: