Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Police

I did 9 year in the Andrew and then joined Ayrshire Constabulary ( Now Strathclyde Police) and retired 5 year ago after 30 y service.I would definately advise if you want to join, dont go for Mod Plod.Brit Transport etc as they are classed as inferior by the proper Police forces. In my 30 y I only came across a few x RN cops, however I never came across many other English in the "Jock Polis" either. The variety in work is unbeleivable, you literally dont know what each day will bring.I was 26 y Traffic which got me bike and Hgv licences as well as advanced driving etc. I also had the pleasure of booking Naval Officers for Drink Driving and speeding etc, Sweet revenge for the hard times .

icantfly said:
Nutty said:
AS far as SOCA goes I have had no recent imput but at the time of formation great problems were going on trying to put Police, Customs, Tax, Immigration etc all with different terms of Service and Powers if any to enter seize and arrest. As I understand it they are not Police Officers but are civil servants, or Goverment Agents but thats only via press reports etc.

Nutty,

SOCA was formed from the former National Crime Squad and the National Criminal Intelligence Service, with members of organisations such as HMRC drafted in. As such, they are considered to be a police force and do have the power of arrest.

Icantfly

Just about all the person's drafted into SOCA had a power of arrest before they moved from their old job and of course always had a citizens power of arrest and the knowledge to use it correctly even if local Police are unhappy with people who avail themselves of this power. To be Police Officer they must be sworn in and come under the Police Act 1996 and 1997 which consilidated the 1964 Police Act.

As I undrstand it from old friends and a Senior C & E Officer who is a friend. All SOCA Staff are civil servants but would revert to their old grades and conditions of service if they leave and return the Police, Revenue etc.

See this artice of 31/03/07

SOCA

SOCA Telegraph

So Jimmy are you still looking at Plod and have you reached any conclusions.

Nutty

Nutty, as I understand it from several pals who are now SOCA agents, they had to resign from the Police, hand in their warrant cards and therefore are no longer "appointed" and no longer hold the powers of arrest and detention available to the office of contstable.

However, I believe that the agents have similar, and sometimes enhanced, powers of Pc Plod.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you can now apply to join SOCA without having first been a wooden top, Customs, etc.

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Nutty, as I understand it from several pals who are now SOCA agents, they had to resign from the Police, hand in their warrant cards and therefore are no longer "appointed" and no longer hold the powers of arrest and detention available to the office of contstable.

However, I believe that the agents have similar, and sometimes enhanced, powers of Pc Plod.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you can now apply to join SOCA without having first been a wooden top, Customs, etc.

KLNA

That is how I understand the situation, and no doubt within the Act that set up SOCA had a power of arrest was written in. I am uncertain in a penny pinching UK style operation how they intend to turn raw recruits into investigators without that two year apprentiship on the street gathering evidence for presentation to the CPS and Courts that Plod and Customs Officers had. What is it now in Plod from joining to Appointed CID officer who has completed his CID Course about 4 years.

The FBI etc throw shed loads of money at training their agents.

Nutty

Also, how lucky was it that the Submariners Old Comrades Association SOCA changed its name to Submariners Assiciation, SA or the Serious Organised Crime Agency would have had to find a different name. Stiil there are loads of Laid Up Colours of SOCA they may like to purchase.

Nutty

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I certainly wouldn't go for Mod Plod, life is much more interesting on the streets.
Couple of pointers, if you can make an interview at short notice let them know, a lot drop out before they get to the interview stage and it can get you in earlier. Don't be afraid to ring up and ask how things are progressing with your application, it keeps you in mind if an interview vacancy comes up.
If you know someone currently serving in the Force that you apply to spend some time having a chat, one of the questions that frequently comes up is "What steps have you taken to find out about life in the Police"
If you don't know anyone go into your local Nick and ask to speak to someone. Don't use recruiters (sorry NJ) as your main source of information as to what the jobs about, they are frequently out of touch with life in the real world.
I did the best part of 30 years with a County Force and obviously would recommend that against the City Forces, others like Nutty and Sheerlegs would advise differently.
Be careful of taking advice from KLNA it would appear that he could be a Black Rat, if this is the case its only a bit like being a real Copper :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :thumright:

War Hero
Nutty said:
That is how I understand the situation, and no doubt within the Act that set up SOCA had a power of arrest was written in. I am uncertain in a penny pinching UK style operation how they intend to turn raw recruits into investigators without that two year apprentiship on the street gathering evidence for presentation to the CPS and Courts that Plod and Customs Officers had. What is it now in Plod from joining to Appointed CID officer who has completed his CID Course about 4 years.

Nutty

You'll recall that NCIS, which in practice formed the core of SOCA at the merger, was about 50% civil service and 50% seconded officers anyway. That worked out reasonably, although the seconded staff retained their powers whilst the CS side didn't.

Not all SOCA staff have police powers, although I don't have exposure to how the split is made up and how individuals are allocated. It's less important anyway as the role is more of an Intelligence capability, than front line policing.

Interesting opportunities, particularly as they're only a year in and they had a huge organisational problem when they were created.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Nutty, I am still wanting to join the feds but as has already been mentioned there are only a small number of forces currently recruiting.

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/officers/po_vacancies.php

With only 574 days to go (at this time of writing) I have started to do my research and preperation prior to applying. I will approach my local plod to try and get a ride along and I also intend to attend the 2 week Potential Police Officers course held at Aldershot as part of my resettlement.

The Home Office forces I am most interested in joining are D&C, A&S, Dorset or Wiltshire, but of the forces that are currently recruiting the one that appeals most is Hampshire.

In an e-mail reply from the Hampshire recruitment department I was advised that the process would take between 9 and 12 months, so unless one of the South West forces re-starts a recruitment process beforehand that is the one I will apply to.

Of the Non Geographic forces, other than MoD Plod I am also interested in CNC, though BTP doesn't really interest me. I know there is a world of difference between these forces and the 'standard' police forces but I get the impression that they are less PC or target driven than HO forces, plus they don't have to deal with chav ASBO teenagers and act as a social worker in domestics, which I see as the downside of the job.

lamptramp63 said:
I also had the pleasure of booking Naval Officers for Drink Driving and speeding etc, Sweet revenge for the hard times .

My dream job would be traffic, in an unmarked car on the A38 near Guzz on a Friday afternoon. :evil2:

Perhaps I totally misunderstood the conception but SOCA was suppose to add an operational arm to NCIS at the same time adding in the Regional Crime Squads, Customs, Tax, Immigration, DSS etc to be the No1 Operational Investigation Unit in the UK. and remove it from the not always helpful interference of Senior Police and Customs Officers.

Are you saying they just are acting as another intelligence gathering organization and are not to bothered about getting their hands dirty nicking people.

When I spent 3 years on a C1 Squad we would take many jobs and import intelligence from where ever we could, be that, our own team efforts, dedicated surveillance units, local collators, C & E, Bank accounts etc. But the end game was always for us to do the arrests and present the case at court.

Nutty

War Hero
Nutty said:
Perhaps I totally misunderstood the conception but SOCA was suppose to add an operational arm to NCIS at the same time adding in the Regional Crime Squads, Customs, Tax, Immigration, DSS etc to be the No1 Operational Investigation Unit in the UK. and remove it from the not always helpful interference of Senior Police and Customs Officers.

I'm not particularly close to it any more, and frankly was only ever on the fringe of that particular area, but from what I understood it was always going to maintain a relationship with local forces and HMRC etc rather than become a national force.

Are you saying they just are acting as another intelligence gathering organization and are not to bothered about getting their hands dirty nicking people.

Nope, but they don't need everyone to be carrying a warrant card in order to do their job. If you look at the Security Service, none of them carry Warrant Cards, relying on local forces to arrest and compile evidence achieving a constitutional separation and a clear demarkation between their own work and the prosecution activity.

But the end game was always for us to do the arrests and present the case at court.

Indeed, and I don't disagreee with the need for that.

Thanks Janner - I think ! FORMER Black Rat - I grew up and became a Dungeon Meister.

Jimmy - I work for one of your chosen forces. One of my ancilary duties is part of the National Recruit Assessment team so I may be able to give you some tips even before you submit an application increase your chances of getting through the paper sift. Linking in with this I have been informed also that we are looking, along with a neighbouring force, to run an assessment centre soon so we should be advertising soon - If I can get you any more info I will and let you know.

In addition to the advice given above, our force allow people interested in joining to go on patrol to get a real insight into the old bill - if you're interested I should be able to jack this up for you.

I have been informed that we should be recruiting about 60 this financial year and natural wastage should necessitate more next year.

If you want more info feel free to PM me

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Many thanks Windy, will be in touch soon. At the moment I'm working through the questions for the application form and once I've got that little lot sorted I'll PM you with it for your critical appraisal, most probably with a few questions too.

Regards

Jimmy

Fore_endy

I left the Mob in 99 and joined Hampshire Constabulary and was stationed at Pompey Central nickng all my old shipmates!

I went to London in 2001 and had the best time ever there, if you are anywhere near the capital take a look at the City of London Police, way less crap than being the Met and they lurve ex-forces, you get to live in Central London for £300pcm if you're a singly, 8K a year over non london forces plus loads of overtime if you want it, free train travel, plus they're rich (funded by the Bank of England) and have all the best kit!

Last year I jumped ship from the UK and transferred to the Royal Cayman Islands Police (A British territory in the Western Caribbean) where I'm serving on the Marine Unit/dive team, and now I spend my working days screaming round in speed boats or on jet skis, or getting paid to go diving in crystal clear 30 degrees C waters, and living next to the sea with a load of fit dive instructor girlies who just want to have drunken beach parties all the time!

This may sound like blatant gloating but there is a point to it! In case you hadn't guessed I think the job is awesome, it's given me too many opportunities and skills to mention over the past eight years and I've made loads of lifelong mates and locked up some real scum which is always a good feeling. It's a lot more accountable than the mob because it's much more in the public eye, and as with every job theres a few ******* and sad cases, but you will just have to content yourself with hiding their patrol car keys every chance you get. There are a few frustrations with criminals getting off or leniently sentenced in court, but they alsways come back again and we only have to get lucky once! My advice would be just to go for it, the only thing that really bugged me in the UK was the political correctness and the people who believe in it (they are always the least effective police officers but have the most to say about everything) but find some like-minded mates (usually ex forces!) and just laugh it off and get on with the job and it won't get to you too much. The job is 5% negative and 95% positive I reckon. and if you don't like it, it looks excellent on your CV when you move on.

Good luck mate, any Q's give me a shout!

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
I'm encouraged by all the positive feedback. It seems to me that most people that have joined the Old Bill have enjoyed their time in the job.

Although Fore_endy, a quick google on the RCIP has thrown this one up from an expats forum, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?s=27d448fb4f3365be594da6413d082b94&t=296385.

Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police

"I don't think its quite as bad as you make out. I know that crime is out of control and that from being one of the safest its now one of the most dangerous and drug infested islands in the Caribbean but the new Commissioner seems to have got a grip recruiting 24 new officers from the region - its just to be hoped that they can all read and write this time and have not been appointed solely through the usual nepotism. He certainly got one priority right - I read somewhere he's got a six year contract! As we say in Cayman - 'It's all relative.'"

And also "The trend is now towards 'ditch the expat' which is what the Government want"

I hope it's not that bad for you.

Fore_endy said:
I left the Mob in 99 and joined Hampshire Constabulary and was stationed at Pompey Central nickng all my old shipmates!

I'm sure you had a bit of sweet revenge on some of those who may have given you problems during your time in the mob.

I don't really want to join any force near London, neither the Met nor the City Of London Police, even if they do get all the funding.

My aim still is to join a South West force or the CNC/MDP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints former Chief Constable to support police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC and Kent Police joint initiative going strong one month after launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MDP Superintendent Trevor Clark awarded Queen’s Police Medal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 002/2020: Amendments to annex U under Police Regulations 2003 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC joins forces with Kent Police in new community patrol initiative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police super-complaints: force response to police perpetrated domestic abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary speech at the Police Superintendents' Association conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Priti Patel to create police covenant to protect officers and staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick Sees Dstl’s Police Innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police given new powers to tackle hostile state activity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveillance Camera Commissioner's statement: Court of Appeal judgment (R) Bridges v South Wales Police – Automated Facial Recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary sees first-hand the science supporting UK police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police to receive 2.5% pay increase MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pay rises for doctors, police and more in the public sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency joins Warwickshire Police to stamp out illegal waste crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New police powers to tackle hostile state activity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of arrests and deal lines closed as police crackdown on county lines gangs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police: COVID-19 response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government urges public to make a difference and join the police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police given new powers and support to respond to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office brings together Police and Crime Commissioners at Tackling Crime Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches consultation on covenant to protect police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy SW semnar: The challenges of a Police and Crime Commissioner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter for Police Remuneration Review Body 2020 Northern Ireland pay round MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Biometrics Commissioner on the police use of live facial recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 017/2018: Updated Home Office guidance on police misconduct MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: police station telephone advice tender is now open MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fines for captain and owner of party boat which collided with police dock and vessel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New powers for the police to enforce drone laws MoD News 0
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
Y Royal Navy Police - Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Crime news: police station telephone advice tender launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government gives police new powers to protect victims of stalking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police leaders to start bidding for more Taser from today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office overhauls police complaints and discipline process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gareth Wilson awarded Queen's Police Medal in New Year Honours MoD News 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Police Renew Search For Sailor Who Went Missing In 1986" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Remit letter to the Police Remuneration Review Body: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
slim Police will get powers to arrest travellers and seize caravans if they set up illegal campsites on private or public land Current Affairs 17
MoD_RSS Government consults on new police powers to criminalise unauthorised encampments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh police forces to recruit new officers in first wave of 20,000 uplift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office announces first wave of 20,000 police officer uplift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Home Secretary to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office encourages civil servants across government to volunteer with police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 007/2019: Eyesight standards, police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary at Police Superintendents' Association MoD News 0