The pleasure of hating

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Montigny_La_Palisse, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmm ... interesting theory!

"The shooting wasn't designed to get rid of the British Army; it was designed to bring it back. It was the first atrocity in a desired new cycle of attacks, arrests, martyrdoms, bombings, internments, hunger strikes, funerals, orations, gun-runnings and crying children, which could return us to the Seventies, the golden time of death and certainty" (same article)

Makes you wonder why people can't get their kicks in other ways ...
  2. Just goes to show how fckng sad those bunch of barstewards are. Why not station a bomber down near Gib somewhere and change that heap of shite into a newly glassed over car park? If they want to play tough lets give them what they want. Or am I being a tad over the top ?
  3. just a tad dear.
  4. It is to be hoped that the "ordinary" catholics in Northern Ireland make it too difficult for this group to persist. The haters need to be left nowhere for their sores to fester.
  5. Absolutely nothing to do with religion despite what these sad mixed up bastards would like people to think - the motive for their actions is probably far more criminal than religious (or even nationalistic).

Since the ceasefire a lot of the previous high profile acts by both sectarian groupings have been fully exposed as purely criminal acts to line individuals pockets - bank robberies, drugs, extortion, prostitution etc.

I wouldn't mind betting that this is just a precursor to more of the same and if they can get the army back on the streets and a general feeling of malaise in the Province (and the Republic) it will be a nice little shield for a return to the previous selfish criminality.

6. My thoughts exactly.
  7. Belief/Ideology + Stereotyping + Prejudice/Discrimination = the Fire of Hatred

Why be suprised. It was inevitable.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Religion has not played a significant part in NI terrorism for many years; regrettably some continue to use it as an excuse to target certain sections of the community and to justify their actions, when in actual fact those responsible for these acts are not much different from any other violent criminal in this and other countries... :oops:
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Dicky asked

Is the 'Y' in Dicky silent? If you can't meet the intellectual standards required in the Current Affairs forum, don't post here.
  10. Does any one actually agree with what David Aaronovitch has written in this article? Or at least see his point? I think in loose terms he's hit the nail on the head. There is no doubt that there are a handful of idiots who yearn for the height of the "troubles" to return as it gives their lives meaning.
  11. I agree with him. I read a very good book (by a lapsed PIRA member) many moons ago which more or less said the same thing, though that was during the troubles. I mentioned his name & the book somewhere on RR when I was called Always_a_Civvy. Unfortunately I cannot remember either the author or title. It's called early onset senility! :roll:
  12. "The desire to hate and kill comes first, and then grubs around in the shit for its excuse."

That just about sums it up.
  13. Quite agree Broadside! I think this went back a long way not just since the ceasefire. Irish version of the Russian Mafia????
  14. On R4 this morning I think they said the Real IRA had about 200 members, the problem is it doesn't take much infrastructure to support that number.
  15. IRA protection rackets were all the fashion in 1970/80's Dublin and the line between them and the criminal fraternity was blurred.I recall having a run in with a little runt called Cahill who was promoted by the gutter press as "The general", threaten us with the IRA but I do believer it was they who shot the little cnut. I always confuse him and Bono when i see their photies ,both of them seedy looking twats
  16. Nothing would surprise me! Amazing how many times someone starts something and the criminal fraternity jump on the band wagan as a way to ameans to coninue with the murder and mayhem!
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cahill was an audacious but mid-level criminal in Dublin at the time; he infuriated the IRA almost as much as the Gardaí! And yes, it was strongly believed that it was they who killed him - probably because he got to steal more assests than they did... :wink:
  18. Fortunately not correct in terms of them having the ability to conduct terrorist acts. They still need int, couriers, QMs, dickers, etc, etc to carry out their atrocities succesfully.
    The hope would be that they are "rusty" in these initial stages and as a result get hammered (a la the 2 quick CIRA arrests) however the issue is not that clear cut. What mainland UK (generalisation) is probably unaware of is that there have been numerous attacks on the PSNI over the last few years (some covered in threads here and in That Other Place). Yesterday Orde estimated that if all had been succesful up to 49 policemen or women would have died.