The penny drops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tribalclass, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

2. I seem to recall reading\hearing that G4$ are going to spend £2m and give the service personnel a coin or something? Oh, well that's all right then but still pocket millions from the contract. And that's after their £50m fine.
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Flymo, G4S are making a donation to service charities, not recompensing the government for using HM Forces to bail them out.
  4. I know what you mean. Howver, with so much training outsourced to civvy agencies these days, the MOD pays actual moolah to training outfits and they don't give refunds for unfilled places. In the bigger scale, Pongo units need to achieve a certain number of training days per annum on their tanks/helicopters/guns/trucks/field kitchens etc or they or not considered operational. If they miss their slot on the Canadian tank/artillery ranges, then they stay missed (They don't work over winter).

I don't think it is governmental spin, more Pongo central spin with a spot of real world fact.
  5. Cheers TC.
  6. OK, cheers TO. At least that won't make too much of a dent into their profits eh?
  7. Any financial whizzes on yer?

I thought if you donate to charities the company can claim a percentage back as tax relief or the like!
  8. Not even Pongo spin - the chief planner was a crab IIRC (Wing Commander Peter Daulby) - so the real story is that the RAF will take 2 years to recover from not having the proper standard of hotel accommodation, Percy will need 2 months to get over the shock of having better accommodation under bridges and the like than they are used to elsewhere and Jack ...well, Jack is Jack.
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, clever move eh?

Makes them look good and keeps the bottom line intact.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

11. It's nothing new. In fact the services have been doing it for ages. Especially officers. Get outside the promotion zone - **** up - lose seniority - then get promoted because the board remember your name, (for the wrong reasons), get promoted.

We've done it so why can't the private sector? Not being confrontational, just pointing out they haven't invented something new.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I understand that it occurs in all industries, especially the military. However I am disgusted that the guard (now manager) is effectively in charge of the process that allowed him to kill a teenage boy! In my Station we use G4S medics to assess and care for persons in custody; while I have no particular gripe with individual employees, G4S as a company are not exactly doing themselves any favours with incidents like this.

13. Agree, it's wrong and insensitive.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Just like a child "carer" being named in court as a child abuser and ending up as head of Children's Education...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Whoops - I've just had to double check that this post was on CA turf not at "Bloody Police!"...

So sorry.