Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The penny drops

flymo

War Hero
I seem to recall reading\hearing that G4$ are going to spend £2m and give the service personnel a coin or something? Oh, well that's all right then but still pocket millions from the contract. And that's after their £50m fine.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Flymo, G4S are making a donation to service charities, not recompensing the government for using HM Forces to bail them out.

Tribalclass

Midshipman
Don't get that!

One of the ministerial observations was the fact the Military were flexible. Needing two years to recover is hardly being flexible. More government spin and confusion!

I know what you mean. Howver, with so much training outsourced to civvy agencies these days, the MOD pays actual moolah to training outfits and they don't give refunds for unfilled places. In the bigger scale, Pongo units need to achieve a certain number of training days per annum on their tanks/helicopters/guns/trucks/field kitchens etc or they or not considered operational. If they miss their slot on the Canadian tank/artillery ranges, then they stay missed (They don't work over winter).

I don't think it is governmental spin, more Pongo central spin with a spot of real world fact.

Waspie

War Hero
Any financial whizzes on yer?

I thought if you donate to charities the company can claim a percentage back as tax relief or the like!

broadside

War Hero
I know what you mean. Howver, with so much training outsourced to civvy agencies these days, the MOD pays actual moolah to training outfits and they don't give refunds for unfilled places. In the bigger scale, Pongo units need to achieve a certain number of training days per annum on their tanks/helicopters/guns/trucks/field kitchens etc or they or not considered operational. If they miss their slot on the Canadian tank/artillery ranges, then they stay missed (They don't work over winter).

I don't think it is governmental spin, more Pongo central spin with a spot of real world fact.

Not even Pongo spin - the chief planner was a crab IIRC (Wing Commander Peter Daulby) - so the real story is that the RAF will take 2 years to recover from not having the proper standard of hotel accommodation, Percy will need 2 months to get over the shock of having better accommodation under bridges and the like than they are used to elsewhere and Jack ...well, Jack is Jack.

Waspie

War Hero
So what to do with a 100kg guard who fatally restrains a 40kg boy? That's right - promote him to Safety, Health and Environmental Manager at G4S Children's Services..! :shock:

G4S guard fatally restrains 15 year old - gets promoted | openDemocracy

It's nothing new. In fact the services have been doing it for ages. Especially officers. Get outside the promotion zone - **** up - lose seniority - then get promoted because the board remember your name, (for the wrong reasons), get promoted.

We've done it so why can't the private sector? Not being confrontational, just pointing out they haven't invented something new.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I understand that it occurs in all industries, especially the military. However I am disgusted that the guard (now manager) is effectively in charge of the process that allowed him to kill a teenage boy! In my Station we use G4S medics to assess and care for persons in custody; while I have no particular gripe with individual employees, G4S as a company are not exactly doing themselves any favours with incidents like this.

Waspie

War Hero
I understand that it occurs in all industries, especially the military. However I am disgusted that the guard (now manager) is effectively in charge of the process that allowed him to kill a teenage boy! In my Station we use G4S medics to assess and care for persons in custody; while I have no particular gripe with individual employees, G4S as a company are not exactly doing themselves any favours with incidents like this.

Agree, it's wrong and insensitive.

I understand that it occurs in all industries, especially the military. However I am disgusted that the guard (now manager) is effectively in charge of the process that allowed him to kill a teenage boy!

In my Station we use G4S medics to assess and care for persons in custody; while I have no particular gripe with individual employees, G4S as a company are not exactly doing themselves any favours with incidents like this.

Whoops - I've just had to double check that this post was on CA turf not at "Bloody Police!"...

So sorry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Letter from Penny Ciniewicz to the Loan Charge All Party Parliamentary Group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Penny Mordaunt attends NATO's 2019 Defence Ministerial MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women & Equalities Penny Mordaunt – Launch of the Women’s Empowerment Roadmap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt statement on fighting in Libya MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Penny Mordaunt welcomes China move on international development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Minister for Women and Equalities Penny Mordaunt: Stonewall Workplace Conference London 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt to pledge extra Cyclone Idai funding, as she issues stark climate warning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt on improving sexual health rights globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt speech to the Bond Conference 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt doubles support for plastic recycling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt doubles support for plastic recycling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Penny Mordaunt: International Women's Day Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt launches new funds to tackle period poverty globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt: the Rohingya crisis must not be forgotten MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt launches Companies to Inspire Africa 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt’s new mission for Government Equalities Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt: “I see a chamber filled with powerful and strong women." MoD News 0
F Penny pinching scotsman gives to charity. Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Mail: "Tory MP Penny Mordaunt Signs Up To Take Part In TV Diving Show Splash" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
soleil Independent: "Revealed - How Ministry Of Defence Penny-Pinching Led To Disaster" Bases / Shore Est 22
janner The last penny Miscellaneous 0
soleil RN Careers Website: Live Chat 23/09: Penny Clark MEO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S worth every penny The Gash Barge 31
H Penny for the Guy Current Affairs 15
W Desperate attempt to penny pinch..or wholly justified!!! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 27
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: An inspection of the Home Office’s response to in-country clandestine arrivals (‘lorry drops’) and to irregular migrants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Isathal 10 mg/g eye drops, suspension for dogs, cats and rabbits - product defect recall alert MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 Prisons Project sees drops in violence and drugs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Essential oils business drops in on UAE MoD News 0
M Occasional use of eye drops Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Lancashire Evening Post: "School Flies By When Pilot Chris Drops In" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Carrick Gazette: "Santa Claus Drops In By Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
T F-35 drops a Paveway on a Patton Tank The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Scotsman: "HMS Unicorn Drops To Dock Floor" History 8
P Defence Minister drops a ball over name of HMS Bulwark Current Affairs 1
trelawney126 Finknottles Dad Drops a bollock Diamond Lil's 4
soleil Scotsman: Enjoy A Spot Of Naval Gazing As HMS Edinburgh Drops Anchor In Leith The Fleet 0
soleil Goole & Howden Courier: "Trainee Pilot Drops In At School" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil NNews: Saudi, Partners!-HMS Somerset Drops In On The Kingdom The Fleet 0
soleil T'graph: "MoD Drops British Socks For Cheaper Chinese Ones" Current Affairs 22
soleil "Local Lad Drops In On Old Stomping Ground" The Fleet Air Arm 1
WhizzbangDai USAF wants prop planes back, drops the whizzy ones for COIN! The Quarterdeck 8
soleil RN Merlin drops in on HMAS Toowoomba The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Telegraph: Jobs at risk as MoD drops jump jet fighter engine The Fleet Air Arm 29
soleil Royal drops in on new creche The Corps 0