The paras vs the royal marines

Grim_Reaper said:
Having operated with the Army chaps I will just say that we all got on with the job in hand without any problems or inter branch oneupmanship.
I'd rather have someone whom I can trust watching my back regardless of his branch than some pillock from my own branch.
The place for banter is in the bar afterwards and those of us with a sense of discipline and professionalism can do so without getting into bitching or fisticuffs.
My point exactly !!

They do do different things. Parras go out and hit innocent people, are overly aggressive and even figfht amongst themselves. Marines for some reason like getting naked together, dressing up as women and looking at each others dicks.

To sum up:

Paras - Thugs
Marines - Benders

Nails said:
They do do different things. Parras go out and hit innocent people, are overly aggressive and even figfht amongst themselves. Marines for some reason like getting naked together, dressing up as women and looking at each others dicks.

To sum up:

Paras - Thugs
Marines - Benders
Nails:

Mummy won't be too happy with you. Does she know you've got access to your computer !!!! :threaten:

Drakey said:
Nails said:

To sum up:

Paras - Thugs
Marines - Benders
Nails:

Mummy won't be too happy with you. Does she know you've got access to your computer !!!! :threaten:
Yeah cos that really was my mum and not me taking the p1ss and get a shit load of bites now wasn't it einstein! How did you pass the mental aptitude test to get into anything other than someone who mops the floors on board a ship ... whatever it is they're called in the Gayvy.

Nails said:

To sum up:

Paras - Thugs
Marines - Benders
Jealousy, jealousy. Now cut away and hump your sister or dog or whatever else inbreds like you get up to on your caravan site bank holidays.

Para v Marine.
i always laugh when i read a subject like this. As a Marine (there is no such thing as an ex Marine!) i am obviously bias but here's my snippet.

For a long time there was always a SGT Para based at Commando training centre (CTCRM) who would take a nod troop through. A few years back he took his troop to Aldershot to do the log, and a few other p coy bit s and bobs. and i believe a few records got taken. But this is to be expected, the marines do a longer training time.
You cannot really compare them though. They both have a magnificent esprit de corps, pride in their history and ventures. Although the bootys have a longer heritage. The place where they differ is their thought process.
They do things differently, different thought processes and different ways of getting the job done. In the 90's an army brick got jumped by the paddies, the village was surrounded and brigade sent the paras in. They got the weapons back and people moaned because they were "overly aggresssive". well don't send the paras in if you dont want someone to get a bloody nose!! they are trained to jump into a combat zone. it may never happen again but you need a mindset unlike most others. instant aggression, don't think about it, go and don't stop until you reach the objective. The marines can adopt this mindset if they ever were in the uneviable place of doing an opposed beach landing but would rather approach a bit sneaky beaky and do the objective that way.

What you do have however is a set of awesome fighters. tHE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS THE PARAS DO NOT DHOBI PROPERLY AND CALL THE GALLEY A COOKHOUSE. oh and a wet a brew... such common manners!!

I would like to finish off with a tale that also negates the common image that marines and paras cannot mix. Back in 87 i attended the milan det course at netheravon, and got paired up with a lad from 3 para called tel mulvaney, he was ex mortars so i could never understand why he was on a milan course! However we gelled instantly over some mad benders, whiskey, fallschimjager and bootneck songs. On one weekend i got an invite up to the shot. Johny 5's, airbourne inn, some other dives. great bars, full to the brim with para stuff, 1 para were in battalion and we met up with 3 para boxing team. a cracking night, i was taking the piss with a cheeky god is airbourne, he failed the commando course t shirt, ended up in the sgt mess, there were paras kipping in the skips, scrapping each other and all and sundry. as a young lad a very enjoyable night. but i was made welcome, had the piss ripped all night long but was made welcome and entertained. Although they did show there thicker side when i led the hunt in the mess for the marine who was in uninvited......

who is best? who gives a ****! they are both exemplary, i'll swear blind it's the Corps, tel the Reg. Any way much better than a hat, crabfat or matelot!!!! have it!!

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
5 years later and the yawn factor is still there.

To sum up;

Both are elite. Both have different roles. Both like getting naked.

But to be honest, who cares?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Current Affairs 5
T Land Ops 0
W Current Affairs 30