The origins of 'Navy names'

pinkprincess

Lantern Swinger
#1
I understand 'Chalky' White, it really doesn't need an explanation.

'Sticky' Green was explained to me, although one chap said it was in Amsterdam, one said Singapore. Either way, it was to do with a girl asking you to buy her a drink in a bar, all she ordered was 'this sticky green stuff' and you found yourself a hundred quid lighter.

The one I don't know the origins of is 'Slinger' Wood, it sounds like some sort of old boxing hero.

Can anyone tell me where 'Slinger' comes from?
 
#2
pinkprincess said:
I understand 'Chalky' White, it really doesn't need an explanation.

'Sticky' Green was explained to me, although one chap said it was in Amsterdam, one said Singapore. Either way, it was to do with a girl asking you to buy her a drink in a bar, all she ordered was 'this sticky green stuff' and you found yourself a hundred quid lighter.

The one I don't know the origins of is 'Slinger' Wood, it sounds like some sort of old boxing hero.

Can anyone tell me where 'Slinger' comes from?
Ask Tug Wilson or Plug Sinker, if you can't find them Baz Riley will know :wink:
 
#4
On reflection my reply was not what I had in mind and may seem a little terse. For that I apologise. In short the term Slinger Wood was in common parlance when I joined 64.
As a consolation I can tell you that Tug Wilson earned the title by the FO Gib. Name was Wilson. (Pre ww2.)seeing a ship trying to berth and making a hash of it, signalled to the ship that he personally would berth the same using a larger ship as a tug for it. :wink:
I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the info a retired Cdr Engineering Officer who served in the first world war. He also related many other dits about the change from straw hats to the newer style
 
#5
pinkprincess said:
I understand 'Chalky' White, it really doesn't need an explanation.

'Sticky' Green was explained to me, although one chap said it was in Amsterdam, one said Singapore. Either way, it was to do with a girl asking you to buy her a drink in a bar, all she ordered was 'this sticky green stuff' and you found yourself a hundred quid lighter.

The one I don't know the origins of is 'Slinger' Wood, it sounds like some sort of old boxing hero.

Can anyone tell me where 'Slinger' comes from?
Bar girls bum drinks in the FES to make commission in the bar.
Its usually green and like creme de menthe, costs sh*t loads.
The blokes who lash them up to it are usually called "sticky green kids."
As in milky bar kids, oh fcuk it I'm loosing myself. :oops: 8O :D
 
#6
trelawney126 said:
On reflection my reply was not what I had in mind and may seem a little terse. For that I apologise. In short the term Slinger Wood was in common parlance when I joined 64.
As a consolation I can tell you that Tug Wilson earned the title by the FO Gib. Name was Wilson. (Pre ww2.)seeing a ship trying to berth and making a hash of it, signalled to the ship that he personally would berth the same using a larger ship as a tug for it. :wink:
I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the info a retired Cdr Engineering Officer who served in the first world war. He also related many other dits about the change from straw hats to the newer style
In my case it was cus I could always "Pull" 8O :wink: :roll:
 
#7
Rumrat said:
trelawney126 said:
On reflection my reply was not what I had in mind and may seem a little terse. For that I apologise. In short the term Slinger Wood was in common parlance when I joined 64.
As a consolation I can tell you that Tug Wilson earned the title by the FO Gib. Name was Wilson. (Pre ww2.)seeing a ship trying to berth and making a hash of it, signalled to the ship that he personally would berth the same using a larger ship as a tug for it. :wink:
I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the info a retired Cdr Engineering Officer who served in the first world war. He also related many other dits about the change from straw hats to the newer style
In my case it was cus I could always "Pull" 8O :wink: :roll:
Or were very "sticky" :D
 
#9
trelawney126 said:
Rumrat said:
trelawney126 said:
On reflection my reply was not what I had in mind and may seem a little terse. For that I apologise. In short the term Slinger Wood was in common parlance when I joined 64.
As a consolation I can tell you that Tug Wilson earned the title by the FO Gib. Name was Wilson. (Pre ww2.)seeing a ship trying to berth and making a hash of it, signalled to the ship that he personally would berth the same using a larger ship as a tug for it. :wink:
I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the info a retired Cdr Engineering Officer who served in the first world war. He also related many other dits about the change from straw hats to the newer style
In my case it was cus I could always "Pull" 8O :wink: :roll:
Or were very "sticky" :D
8O :roll: :thumbup:
 
#12
#15
Rumrat said:
pinkprincess said:
I understand 'Chalky' White, it really doesn't need an explanation.

'Sticky' Green was explained to me, although one chap said it was in Amsterdam, one said Singapore. Either way, it was to do with a girl asking you to buy her a drink in a bar, all she ordered was 'this sticky green stuff' and you found yourself a hundred quid lighter.

The one I don't know the origins of is 'Slinger' Wood, it sounds like some sort of old boxing hero.

Can anyone tell me where 'Slinger' comes from?
Bar girls bum drinks in the FES to make commission in the bar.
Its usually green and like creme de menthe, costs sh*t loads.
The blokes who lash them up to it are usually called "sticky green kids."
As in milky bar kids, oh fcuk it I'm loosing myself. :oops: 8O :D
I sometimes used to buy the girls “sticky greenies†because, being a mug, I felt a bit sorry for them. My oppo “Taff†(I wonder why we called him that) used to call me the “Green Godâ€. :?
 
#16
I sometimes used to buy the girls “sticky greenies†because, being a mug, I felt a bit sorry for them. My oppo “Taff†(I wonder why we called him that) used to call me the “Green Godâ€.
_________________
Dreaming the dream; living the nightmare.
Gombear


The boys used to buy me "Sticky greens" so what does that make me,i wonder :D
 
#18
NorwayChris said:
I sometimes used to buy the girls “sticky greenies†because, being a mug, I felt a bit sorry for them. My oppo “Taff†(I wonder why we called him that) used to call me the “Green Godâ€.
_________________
Dreaming the dream; living the nightmare.
Gombear


The boys used to buy me "Sticky greens" so what does that make me,i wonder :D
Stick Green Slut? 8O :roll: :wink:
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#19
http://www.godfreydykes.info/NICK NAMES IN THE ROYAL NAVY - and elsewhere!.htm

My understanding was that "Sticky Green" was not originally a nickname for a shipmate but the name given to a drink bought for a random lady you happen to meet in a bar, for the purpose of... well I'm sure you can guess the rest! I seem to recall that it came from a particular bar in The Ghut in Malta, where matelots and ladies of easy virtue would congregate. Jack would be waiting for their shipmates to finish the dirty deed elsewhere, and would thus fall into conversation with the local females. Being on limited funds Jack was unable to afford the more expensive liquors on sale, and would therefore buy her the cheapest - a nasty, sweet, thick concoction like absinthe, which was light green in colour.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M The Quarterdeck 21
Stirlin The Book Club 2
C The Quarterdeck 34

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top