Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ordeal of the USS Franklin

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
Just got this book from the States :

'Inferno' The Epic Life And Death Struggle of The USS Franklin in WW2'
by Joseph A. Springer (Zenith Press)

I had seen the famous photo of this carrier heavily damaged after a Japanese attack (only one bomb actually hit her) but didn't realise quite how horrendous the casualties were despite her remaining afloat and making it back to the States. It is grim reading, 798 dead and 487 wounded, truly horrendous. Here is the photo that has become one of the iconic images of WW11.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g270000/g273880.jpg

lsadirty

War Hero
Found an old video about the FRANKLIN I taped when I lived in London, 6-7 years ago. Dear me, what a disaster ! The RC Chaplain won the MoH for dumping ammo, fighting fires and rescuing trapped men, as well as carrying out his more normal duties, first aid/spiritual. Callahan or O'Callahan ?
But they managed to get up some sort of steam power, and eventually cleared the danger area.
Unfortunately, she was placed in reserve post war, and eventually scrapped. What a museum ship she would've been.

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
lsadirty said:
Found an old video about the FRANKLIN I taped when I lived in London, 6-7 years ago. Dear me, what a disaster ! The RC Chaplain won the MoH for dumping ammo, fighting fires and rescuing trapped men, as well as carrying out his more normal duties, first aid/spiritual. Callahan or O'Callahan ?
But they managed to get up some sort of steam power, and eventually cleared the danger area.
Unfortunately, she was placed in reserve post war, and eventually scrapped. What a museum ship she would've been.

You are spot on Isa, the RC padre was Father Joseph T. O'Callahan who was awarded the Congressional Medal Of Honour by President Truman in January 1946 for his bravery in the damage control effort and looking after the troops in such a horrendous situation. 798 dead, thats the ships company of one of our CVS's.

lsadirty

War Hero
One good thing that came out of it was that Uncle Sam realised that armoured flight decks were infinitely preferable to wooden ones. There was a classic quote by an Elmer Senior officer that more or less ran "If a kamikaze hits one of our carriers, it's 3 months in Pearl. If it hits a Limey carrier, it's Sweepers man your brooms, followed by Hands to Flying Stations". Proved several times off Okinawa, but a very expensive lesson to learn, both in equipment and manpower.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Scouse_Castaway Navy News- HMS Cornwall ends 3 month hostage ordeal Current Affairs 3
rustyferret Fcuk me what an ordeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Ordeal By Exocet History 24
Seaweed USS JOHN S MCCAIN COLLISION Current Affairs 53
SONAR-BENDER USS Fitzgerald collision June17th Current Affairs 21
MoD_RSS News story: USS Theodore Roosevelt calls into Portsmouth MoD News 0
A The USS Barb History 0
soleil Lockheed Martin: "British Pilot & Maintainer Test F-35B On USS Wasp" The Fleet Air Arm 10
trelawney126 USS Freedom based in Changi Naval Base International 4
Seaweed Telegraoh - USS John C Stennis Current Affairs 3
trelawney126 USS Porter hones her Navigational & DC skills International 5
scouse USS Carl Vinson hands to Basketball Stations The Fleet Air Arm 6
brigham600 USS George W Bush Current Affairs 8
soleil Twenty Years Ago Today: HMS Gloucester Shoots Down Missiles Aimed At USS Missouri The Fleet 9
scouse BBC Reporter onboard USS George Washington The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse FLY Navy USS George Washington The Fleet Air Arm 6
BillyNoMates USS San Francisco (SSN-711) Submariners 0
soleil Constable's Dues Ceremony at the Tower: USS Halyburton History 0
BillyNoMates USS Annapolis in the Arctic Ice. Submariners 8
BillyNoMates Website of USS Casimir Pulaski. Submariners 1
Pete_N Big Thanks to the Crew of USS Theodore Roosevelt Current Affairs 10
Naval_Gazer USS Theodore Roosevelt to visit Pompey from tomorrow Current Affairs 37
BillyNoMates USS NAUTILUS History 5
B Carrier (USS Nimitz) National Geographic Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
D USS New Hampshire - early and under budget Current Affairs 10
Ships_Cat Carrier: Life aboard USS Nimitz Diamond Lil's 3
M USS PORTER visits Mombasa The Fleet 6
5dits Indian navy may buy ex USS Kitty Hawk Current Affairs 5
skyvet USS New York The Fleet 10
Bergen Fortieth Anniversary Of The Attack On The USS Liberty Current Affairs 17
Chalky USS Princess Diana - Marvellous Submariners 5
S USS Elrod The Fleet 0
Tartan_Terrier USS Indianapolis History 12