The "On your knee" Mutiny

Discussion in 'History' started by Nutty, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You find some strange items in this cyber space of ours. Who knows about the "On your knee" Mutiny in Victory Barracks in 1906. THe Lt. who caused it was repremanded, one stoker received 5 years imprisonment.

Nothing changes there then. Follow the link:

On your knee

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

stokers eh?? can't live with 'em and you can't move without 'em.....
  3. Bet they didn't sell their story either. :lol:
  4. To go for the obvious joke, they probably though he said "on yer knees" (it will save a visiting pongo from writing it) :D

So much for steam stokers (even if they were only baby ones) being hard as nails, running off because of a bit of rain! :(

Still, on the positive side, the oriffecers got some grief as well. (Still bitter after all these years!) :)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Blummin' Stokers eh? Pah, typical! Well, have to dash, it looks like rain.
    Don't know about the order "On your knees" but remember meeting a young lady in a bar on the Baltic coastal port: Onya Backyabitch, but I digress...
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

1. 'Front rank, On the knee' was a perfectly normal drill order (but somewhat discredited by this incident!) so that rear ranks of a squad being addressed could better see who was addressing them. However stokers had rather less Whaley training in those days; my great-uncle as an RNR mid in HMS Kent in 1914 had problems getting his RNR stokers to desist from coming on Divisions smoking their pipes.

2. One result of this mutiny was that metal plates were put up round the inside of the RNB railings so that whatever went on there was no longer so much on view to people in Queen Street. These were only taken down relatively recently (I think because of roadworks).

3. The anti-hero of this, Sammy Collard, went on to become a rear admiral and in Malta provoked a far more serious incident aboard HMS Royal Oak when he took exception to the way a dance was being conducted on her quarterdeck. There was an aprocryphal story that at the ensuing Court Martial he was asked 'Is it true, Sir, that you called the bandmaster a bugger?'

He is said to have replied 'Yes, and what I want to know is who called the bugger a bandmaster?'

4. During the war Collard lived near me. His wife, who must have had a lot to put up with, used to go round collecting money for Savings Stamps. In retirement he is said to have sent for an architect, Ernest Emerson (father of one of my godmothers).

Collard: 'Want a house built!'
    Emerson: 'Of course, Sir, what sort of house would you like?'
    Collard: 'Like a ship of course, with a forecastle and a quarterdeck!'
    Emerson, as he turned on his heel and walked off: 'What you need, Sir, is a jobbing builder.'

5. Later on when I was a Lt aged 26 or so I remember Collard leaning out of his car and yelling at me 'When are you going to Dartmouth m'boy?'

6. Queen St itself has passed into history as about the only place post-war where a sailor has personally shot someone. This happened soon after sailors were issued with SLRs and put to guarding the gates of RNB when the IRA started their nonsense. The hapless victim of the accidental discharge was a Pompey passer-by.
  7. Hi Nutty.

That was a very interesting tale there mate, I must admit that it was a new one on me, but very interesting, shows how simple, a rating, and in this case an officer can get in the rattle.

I mentioned earlier on another thread, about one case that I was involved in when I was just an O/D, the whalers crew that I was part of got charged with mutiny on the high sea, but sense prevailed and it was dropped as soon as we got onboard and saw got the Coxwain and the Jimmy.

The officer in question was a wavy navy officer, kept giving the command for oars", we kept doing the correct action, , and it went on for over half an hour, in rough weather with a 21" torpedo tied alongside the boat, until the Killick finally took command of the boat as he (the wavy navy guy) was endangering the boat the crew etc etc.

It certainly makes the oraficies tighten up though :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted

regards pingbosun
  8. There was a mutiny on one of HM LSDs, NORTHWAY, (FEARLESS & INTREPID predeccesors) during WW2 caused by the serving of packet mashed spuds because the chefs had all gone for a fag and let the real spuds boil off to nothing - sure I've got the details tucked away somewhere, but reading between the lines, the war was over, Jack wanted to go home and be discharged, but the Pusser wanted to go back to pre-war routine. If I'd been there, would've probably joined them !!
  9. Thanks, for that one...
    interesting stuff.

It just goes to show how the Andrew works (or doesn't) sometimes.

Drill & matelots doesn't make much sense anyway. These days the decks aren't big enough to muster on, let alone do 'military dancing' on! :wav:

10. Thanks for that Nutty , never read of that one before
  11. Thanks for that Nutty. I should have thought it a bit risque for a ossifer to demand dozens of stokers allow him to sit upon their knees, but to each their own.

Poor Stokers! All they needed was some hot kye, sticky buns at Stand Easy and a cuddle!
  12. Interesting one Nutty. Not come across it before either. I like the host web site too.

Nice find.

13. Seaweed, How do you know all this stuff? Both you and Nutty are on impressive form.