The night he helped blow up the Tirpitz

Discussion in 'History' started by 5dits, Sep 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope they still make them like that today and pass them thru BRNC. Reading the memories of these men I always wonder how I would have acted if or when placed under the same long term duress and uncertainty.

I hope I would have just gone out got pissed , shagged anything that said yes and did what I was told to do when I was told.

Nutty

2. You mean you didnt?

I'm gutted,all my illusions about you shattered in one post! :thumright:

3. SORRY. I did do the second bit;

"I just went out, got pissed , shagged anything that said yes and did what I was told to do when I was told."

Except for Borneo where the only dangerous thing I ever met was a mosquito that put me in sick bay for three week. I was a Cold War Warrior
    most of my time. No Barent Sea GSM(OSM) for us then or now.

NUtty

4. Hi.
    Re Tirpitz. When she was finally sunk, both 617 and 101 Squadron were over the target at the same time so it was a toss up who actually sunk her. At Binbrook, was a bulkhead door that had been presented to Binbrook as a memento. It went originally to 617 Squadron. But 101 did a raid and put it in their mess. Then it was 617's turn. After a year of battle, the Officer Commanding decreed that it stayed at each squadron for six months at a time. Fun over!

5. It is on a security wall on 617 Squadron at RAF Lossiemoth and has been there as far as i know for the last 15 years.