The new Prince of Wales

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Sep 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A bit of time lapse video of a huge section of PoW leaving the constructing yard to Rosyth.

Interesting stuff, good to see the tug working its trade!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. My next ship, hopefully!
  3. Standby to spend a lot of time here in Rosyth then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Just watching that video clip and it will be tight getting them out of the docks.
    Sod being special sea dutymen and Navs for that.
  5. A couple of fenders, They'll be fine....;)
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

SDSR15 said that we had to fit out PWLS for a LitM role. Work is being done to understand what that really means and what that will cost. Before SDSR there were some assumptions that a CVF could operate in a LitM role but nothing had really been done to work the detail and implications out, so SDSR has formalised that.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. **** me fella, when's your FAD? 2035?

The plan for both to carry out LITM has been on the table for ages. Ain't no money for modification, it'll be doing it as is. By the way, it's PWLS not Prisoner of War. Prisoner of Rosyth perhaps.
  8. wave_dodger

Not true. As the sponsors we had plans for carrier strike. The LitM role was hinted at preSDSR but not funded. So now the work looks at what is needed, quantifies that and seeks appropriate funding.
  9. Glad I am not going to sea on her. I feel much safer shore side, I was part of her design team?
  10. wave_dodger

Are you certain?
  11. Yep 2001 - 2003 pre and post down select?
  12. 2ft either side, of the hull for when we leave the basin in Rosyth
  13. Are sure?
  14. I will take it on advisement, just in case the memory is more shot than first thought, were you there?
  15. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

That was a while ago. Bloody thing is almost complete now.

16. Unsurprisingly, your reply would indicate that a lot of people aren't talking to each other.

Carrier Strike with tagged on LitM has been a lot more than hinted at. Happy to discuss offline if you like.
  17. Excuse my ignorance but what does "LitM" mean?
    In the context of this thread I'm guessing it's to do with amphibious ops: Littoral ... something?
  18. Levers true a whole Naval career ago for some?

The scary thing for you large target dwellers is you had an ex-submariner writing you Availability, Reliability and Maintainability requirements, but that is not too much of a problem, they mainly affect contract stuff, the really scary bit is I also wrote the Survivability, Manoeuvrability and Operability requirements which could affect the way the vessel feels and operates at sea. As the project moved North I had a call from the CVF MD a number of years after I had left, to see If I wanted to re-join the project, as all the requirement’s I had signed off with the customer back in 2003 were still valid and had not been changed, so when you are at sea in roughers doing an hand break turn remember that Sumo may have written that Key User Requirement on Manoeuvrability?

I declined the MD’s offer, as it was too far North, only a small customer facing team would be left in Bristol.

The question is what the hell did an ex-Chief WEA Submariner know about big ships, and who trusted him to write requirement’s?
  19. The question for me would be, 'Would anyone understand what you had written?!' :D
    • Funny Funny x 2