The New EU Army.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Nov 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, and I agree with you, how do you get rid of an unelected, unanswerable Yuro Pollie?

2. ******* leave Europe, simples!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah leave europe before its too late.

4. I'm undecided as to a 'hard and fast' opinion of the EU. However, was this Lady Ashdon elected by anyone in the UK? It's dangerous to have unelected officials actually make the decisions, rather than just implementing them.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It is a mystery to me how someone who does not seem ever to have delivered anything worth as much as twopence halfpenny to anyone can float so serenely up into a massively overpaid job for which she appears to have no qualifications whatsoever. Is she Clement Attlee's natural daughter or something? How on earth does this work, that we end up being governed by utterly worthless drones?

6. Ahh, the Ashton lady:

In a deal finalised in Cairo between Egypt’s President Mohamed Morsi and the EU's Foreign Policy Chief and Labour politician Catherine Ashton the European Union has approved a 5.0 billion euro ($6.4 billion) financial aid package to Egypt after its economy was battered by a 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak, the presidency said on Wednesday.

Source: France24

7. Seaweed

Oh good, they can spend it on arms for Hamas.

8. And support the fighters for the government in exile in Syria too. And once the Muslim brotherhood have got a foothold there then they can start to look further afield\desert...

9. Looks like the old EU Army (sic) NATO is going to support Turkey against Syria.

10. I have vague memories that, because Blair wasn't been put forward as EU President, Ashton was suddenly made a Peer and was put into a high position as some sort of compensation.

Nigel Farage has the right idea about the democratic accountability of the high flyers in Europe.

11. It's just a shame that the UKIP MEPS have such a poor attendance rate in the parliament there. One could be led to believe that they are only there as a distraction from other anti-EU parties...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. Who do these gallant 5 fighting nations think would pay for it? Spain and Italy are on their uppers, France isn't much better, Germany is stuck bailing out Greece, Poland .... they already get most of their GDP from money sent back from Poles working in the UK (I may be a bit unfair here but I expect I will get a fair bit of support for that statement whether it is accurate or not!!!)... and anyway, what is wrong with NATO?

Hang on though - it might not be a bad idea after all because if we spend all our combined defence budgets on setting up an EU HQ it won't leave any money for equipping or deploying troops etc - Peace in Our Time! Where do I sign?

13. Seaweed

The EU Army is about capturing for the self-aggrandisement of politicians from nations that won't fight, the fighting capabilities of those nations like Britain that will and do.

14. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

You may be largely right, but Baroness Ashton of Upholland was made a life peer in 1999 and was a Labour Minister and eventually Leader of the House of Lords, before being appointed to her EU post in 2009.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  15. Can she be "dis-appointed" because I know I am (see what I did there?)