the navys 8 week fitness program

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by flano, May 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am soon to start basic training (38 days time) and was just wondering if the 8 week program you are told to do is enough to make the first few weeks comfortable or should I so more than just this program.

I was due to originally join on the 13th of April but developed shin splints and had to pull out before I even got down there. I was told that the shin splints could have been caused by over training as I was doing a lot as I was really nervous about failing the test when in fact I would have probably passed them.

I am now starting to worry again however this time I am not as fit as I haven’t been able to train until 3 weeks ago.

So back to the point will the 8 week program is enough to get through the first few weeks or will I struggle?

2. really it all depends how fit you are at the moment. if you've got a level of fitness thats average then your going to manage the PT (although it is hard) i passed out 2 weeks ago and by time i finished my training i had lost 17 pounds in weight and i thought that when i joined i was as fit as i was going to get, about shin splints... there is a chance they will come back two people in my entry suffered from them, more shin strain then splints, and one was eventually discharged because he couldnt pass his PT'A due to his legs, hope i havent scared you but i would inform the PT staff on your arrival of your first PT session which will be your PT run

3. Does it not beg the question, why are you young men not fit?

4. thanks mate

i am average at the moment

5. Here here, when I joined in '83 ... <cough> we weren't given any sort of pre- joining training instructions. It was assumed that you had the CDF to be fit already. Perhaps we were in "those days" (Oh God, did I just type that?)

6. i agree however back in 83 ther wasnt as much known about injuries related to overtraining thats why a guide to build you up slowly an provide u with rest is a good thing as this will avoid less people becoming injured

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...troops/sailors were fit enough to fight a war in '82, weren't they?! :?

8. I agree flano, but watch your double negatives!

I think it will avoid more people becoming injured ;)

9. Oh how the Navy let's it's (WO)men down, although truth be told the following statement (Or something damn similar) will be somewhere in your joining instructions or in the Fitness Programme instructions themselves.
    The 8 week programme if followed will get you to the gate at Raleigh with the MINIMUM required fitness level. You will be expected to further develop your fitness from there, with the PTIs assistance, to be able to achieve the passing out fitness tests.
    So if you do more than the programme requires you'll be that more able to cope.
    Not that the RNs fitness tests are that hard.

10. they mite of been fit enough to fight however alot of these people now have injurys due to this

11. sgtpepperband

Don't know about a Pre-Joining Fitnes Test - how about a Pre-Joining Spelling Test?! 8O

12. there isnt one you know

so who gives a **** :smile:

i have talked about this in other posts i type quick an sometimes in sms an instant messenger talk and i never check for mistake its a bad habbit of mine but it will change as o become older

13. Let's hope so. :thumright:

14. i agree but lets be onest ok you can spell but your still pathetic for sinkin so low to " skit " a city for no reason

15. sgtpepperband

"Skit"? Wow, I'm learning so much 'yoof-spk' in this forum... :roll:

16. great stuff

all yous old farts should get to grips with youth talk as when yas are inable to look after yourself it will be up to us

only messing mate i didnt know another word

its verbal bullying

17. sgtpepperband

You think this is bullying? You wait until you join your first ship...

:twisted:

18. haha it is a form of bullying and no i only used that to explain what it is

i love all this banter its great fun

19. sgtpepperband

Fun? Hmm, so long as you know we're laughing at you, not with you...