The Navy Lark

Discussion in 'History' started by Buccaneer, Oct 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Shipmates

Anyone remember thr Navy Lark used to be a radio program on Sunday evening, it was absolutely stupid but I found it amazingly funny. call me weird if you like.

Would like to hear your thoughts - those of you that remember the program and if anyone has any recordings they want to get rid of please let me know.

Many thanks
  2. Great program featured Leslie Philips and Jon Pertwee
    More info for you here:
    Used to be required listening in our house on a Sunday afternoon.
  3. I've got a couple of the programmes on cd from Past Times i think it was.
    Still very funny after all these years.

Left hand down a bit,right hand up a bit.
  4. Me and Isadirty were on the Troubridge which the crew of the Troutbridge adopted. We got invited to their recording of one of the shows I didn't go but wish I had
  5. "Oh, lummie!" (said in an ultra-smooth Leslie Phillips voice.)
  6. i do have tapes of the navy lark collection lol
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Pertwee's cousin of the same surname commanded a genuine frigate 1968-9 - x-refs to his theatrical relation were not welcome! ..nor was the phrase 'left hand down a bit' popular on the bridge.
  8. Loved the program as a kid, now listen to it every week on Radio 7 (via Internet, as I'm currently in the land of sausage and sauerkraut).

Try their "Listen Again" facility here
  9. They broadcast that episode a week or two ago, by the way. As the announcer said, it makes a change for them to have to apologise for the audience laughing too much....
  10. It was supposed to be funny - hell I thought it was for real - very lifelike; especially the guy from Naval Intelligence

(Incidentally I believe that Jon Pertwee was actually an ex Chief - probably explains why it was so near the truth!

Wasn't a 'filum' as they were called in those days made of something along those lines!
  11. From Wikipedia:

"Pertwee was an officer in the Royal Navy, spending some time working in naval intelligence during the Second World War. He was a crew member of HMS Hood and was transferred off the ship shortly before it was sunk, losing all but three men."

I'll see what I can dig up about it. In the mean time, anyone know more at first hand?
  12. I have to confess to having an awful lot (60%+) of the shows in mp3. I downloaded them a few years ago when file sharing was all the rage.
  13. I've heard of it, but am too young to actually remember it.......
  14. still find it funny..
  15. magic ... "left hand down a bit" ;)
  16. Having got home to double check my Navy Lark directory, it would appear that I have 186 out of the 245 (75%) shows broadcast. The MP3 file size ranges from 6 to 12 Meg.
  17. Great radio shows. They are still available on the file share site that I use. :thumright:
  18. They were as camp as a row of pink tents and very funny indeed!
    I reckon it is a bit sad that this type of humour has gone, fun but not filth; good stuff.
  19. I've got a couple of recordings of it. My Dad was on the HOOD with Pertwee and he loved listening to the programme. As someone said, it was compulsive listening in our household, particularly as we didn't get a tv until 1961. Radio was our main entertainment.