The Navy cant go Anywhere else?? Adm Band

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by scouse, Jun 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ministers accused of 'sea blindness' by Britain's most senior Royal Navy figure
    Britain’s most senior naval figure has accused ministers of “sea blindness†and has told them in tense discussions that our navy is “very stretched†and “can’t go any more placesâ€. -
  2. It will be a sad day when Big JB steps down. I have a lot of time for that bloke.
  3. Link to outgoing 1SL's interview here.

It says it all, really, and JB will be sorely missed. He's been responsible for some real fireworks arguing the Navy's case behind the scenes, ever under the threat of having the new carriers pulled. Without those carriers, the RN really would be reduced to a coast guard, unable to support the Pongos and the Booties anywhere but Salisbury Plain. All well and good as long as the Crabs start using seaplanes and flying boats when their nearest friendly airfield is several thousand miles away.
  4. I'm not happy that the Tories have made no commitment to increase investment in the Forces after the next General Election. There will have to be widespread cuts in public sector expenditure to accommodate the massive £90Bn bailout to the banks and tax shortfalls, and either cuts or increasing the standard rate of income tax to 40p in the £ for a decade*. As the latter would be political suicide, I fear pollies will make those cuts in areas they perceive to be less electorally damaging.

*Even that would not be sufficient, and cuts would still be necessary.
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

What with? As you go on to say

I'll be happy if they cut the £170 000 000 000 'Social Protection' bill - wasters to work.

Yet to read 1SL's dit.
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Have I got this right? Overseas aid is allegedly 'ring fenced' i.e. we are going to give £800m to India to cross-subsidise its nuclear and space programmes (because it lets India off the hook of doing anything about its appalling poverty). However defence of our country will be treated as some sort of toy that we don't really need and lower on the priority list than subsidising work-shy cannabis junkies and all the other deliberate public waste programmes. Cameron has publicly demonstrated his want of understanding of defence or the nuclear deterrent (and indeed seems eager not to find out) - I see him as a shallow, self-serving opportunist, a reincarnation of Blair and not to be trusted further than I could throw him. With 'Dave' it seems to be all knee-jerk reaction, soundbites, and populist quickies. I think he's totally empty (and I have no wish to hug a hoodie). The only thing in Cameron's favour is that he's not quite so provenly awful as either the dishonest Broon nor the creepy, evil, scheming paid-Euro-hack Mandelbum.
  7. I'm not happy that the Tories have made no commitment to increase investment in the Forces

Can you honestly see the tories leaving the defence budget untouched cos i for one cant (the carriers arnt safe yet !!!).Cos they will stop them if they want to even if started
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Some housekeeping to rid the thread of Norman (clovehitch). Apologies to those whose posts have been caught up in the cull. Please don't feed the troll.
  9. Whilst not injecting further finance into the Royal Navy HM Government contiues to recruit sailors with fewer ships for them ever to sail on.
    Good for the employment figures but sheer hypocricy sadly.
  10. :wink: :wink: Your supposed to have been culled :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: arise slipknot Lazarus :) :)