The Naval Service's view of the Army

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by persona_non_grata, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right... they've been fairly popular on ARRSE and seem to be a good sounding board for various views on us lot and the Crabs, therefore it would appear to be useful to extend the franchise over here and see what happens.
    Honest thoughts and banter would be most appreciated as always so long as they are roughly on topic...

PNG

2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Have spent more of my Naval career working with USN/Army/RAF/RM than the Navy - ha ho.

I found them fun to work with. They have a similar level of banter and pish taking. They are very can do and if they can't do it they will tell you why and try and come up with a solution.

Interaction between Officers and Ranks is.... well different. I found it hard to talk to junior guys, they seemd distant and not sure how to talk to you. Once they got to know you it was better. I remember taking 2 lads from the ship on an exercise with the Black Watch (a friend invited us). They were short of a GPMG team and my two guys were GPMG trained. They formed the team and dug in. When I came across them in the field we chatted and joked. Afterwards we meet up and both of us found that the Officers I was with and the JR they were with found it unusual the way we chatted. Who knows may be it is just me.

More to follow.

3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Oh and they smell and have twigs in their hair, obviously.

4. After finishing my 22 I did 14 years with the TA. Not the same as a regular unit I know, and the regs did tend to take the p*** out of us "civvies", but nearly all of our senior NCOs were ex regs, pensioners from all three services, and we seemed to get on fine. We had 2 ex CPOs, 2 POs, a WO1 Grenadier (one of Churchill's bearer party), 2 Coldstream Sgts, a crab F/Sgt, a Bootie Sgt, and many more, and the cross service banter in our mess was par excellance.
    Having been a parade instructor at Raleigh for four years, I had inbuilt attitudes about drill movements and found the foot stamping left footed orders a bit strange at first. The Army version of discipline seemed to involve an inordinate amount of unnecessary shouting at close quarters, but after initial training we did things on a more relaxed basis.
    The tri-service regular WOs and Sgts mess in Aldershot was quite good, but the crabs seemed to huddle in a corner by themselves whilst the Army and RN got on with the business.
    When we had a function in our mess, the duty RN senior would normally be invited, and the above mentioned CPOs/POs would enjoy telling him how much better OUR Navy was.
    So you see - nothing changes!
    I agree with Guns on the Occifer/junior relationship (with the regulars), but with our TA unit, it was very much on the same lines as the RN.
    Ironically, if I'd not volunteered early, I'd have been "called up" for National Service, probably in the Army, when I reached 18, so I think I made a wise decision to do my time in a dark blue suit.

2BM

5. Only really had brief interactions with Army Wallahs, nearly ended up in the Guard Room as I kept sniggering at their gash drill. Well I was at the Royal army Vet Corps, Melton Mowberry(??)HQ doing a baiters (nutters who run out in the midle of a paddock and let guard Dogs attack them. Damn invigorating I can tell you.) course. And the RAVC ain't the Guards by a long stroke, still the WRACs (Yes it was that long ago!!) were extremely impressed by Green Lid and Commando flashes and behaved accordingly.
    NZB

6. I worked with an army unit and a RM unit who allegedly did the same job. The Royals were a breath of fresh air, the pongos seemed to be unable to function using their own brains.
    Unless they were having orders barked at them they were lost.
    Army, I guess they are like Royals but not as clever.

7. My only experience with another service was with Crabs at RAF Pitrievie the hole in the ground near Rothsyth. I worked in the main ops room for a major submarine exercise "Fish Play"about 1968/9.

I have to disagree with the previous contributors statements about the more relaxed closer attitude between Officers and Ratings. The Navy dressed in No.3's and very formal. It was very much a "Yes Sir, No Sir Three Bags Full sir, how many sugars in your Coffee sir" on the other side/half of this large Ops room the crabs all dressed in similar trousers, open necked shirts, all used first names, all took turns in making coffee etc and seemed to be very informal.

In 1963 I worked in a similar Ops Room in Singapore for 2 weeks. It was just the same. Jack in starched white fronts, white shorts, long blue knee length socks and very shiny black shoes, up tight and formal. Crabs in sandals, no socks, shorts and open necked shirts, all very informal.

Nutty

8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I've had the pleasure of working with the pongo's a fair bit in my career, never really had a bad experience to be honest, as has been said all very "can do". Funniest was on 801 Sqdn during Bosnia. A bunch of guys from 148 Battery RA, came onboard to join us in Sardinia for LGB training. First night they arrived stinking, threw sleeping bags on grots and proceeded to sleep for 24 hours solid, got up went to gym, drank beer....... This went on for a couple of days, LH of the mess got a bit pi**ed off and grabbed hold of their Bombadier (not physically he would have killed him) explaining that although we were a watch keepers mess and the lights tended to be off almost 24/7 he expected everyone to get up and clean up at some point in the evening, bombs was very apologetic but they had been in the field for nearly 6 weeks and were knackered.

Went on watch at 8, came back to the mess after night flyers to find the mess in turmoil, the ladder leading up the to the ramp messes had 3 guys, one on each's shoulders so they could clean the overheads (we had never cleaned them because they were too high) looked like Billy Smart's Circus act, they'd had also stripped the mess and it was immaculate. Good bunch of blokes who, as tradition dictates, never paid for their beers.

When we arrived in Sardinia they organised a night out for the mess to repay us for our courtesy, they paid for taxi's, entry to a nightclub and for all of our drinks all night then we went back and trashed their hotel! doh............ they ended up paying for the damage of letting off 3 dry powder fire extinguisher in the lifts and corridor... wasn't me obviously.

There were also 3 SAS guys with us in Deci, a more miserable bunch of feckers I have yet to meet, conversation only centred on "me, me ,me" "this is what I did" "I am" The 148 Battery guys did nothing but take the p*ss out of them constantly, we watched mostly; although there was a short physical interlude at the Sqdn BBQ when 3 or 4 lads decided to get themelves beaten up by one every pi**ed off Special Forces/ Ninja soldier :threaten:

9. Worked with the army Int Corp in J2 Northwood very strange very much like our CTs or whatever they are clled nowavery professional though dealt with a lot of shit coming out of Kosovo. Has some SSAS onboard during the 1st Gulf war the bossman was at least 6'8" how the fcuk he stayed incognito ashore I'll never know. And the fcuked off without paying their bar bills still at least they took the tin with all the beer chits with them.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Long ago but .. matelots sent up to the New Territories on Hing Kong to play with the artillery for a few days, breather for Jack really. Pongoes hauled their gun around a bit and the rope broke. Pongoes to sit tight and wait for replacement. Jack does magic tricks with his fingers and rope is whole again. Pongoes amazed.

11. In the 80’s an Oppo and myself used to go up to London most weekends to get away from Saturday morning cleaning and Sunday morning church at Mercury. We used to stay at the Union Jack Club in Waterloo, and would go and get drunk on Friday and Saturday nights in town. One weekend we were in the night club in Leicester square when a group of Scots Guards, who we had been drinking with kicked off with some civvies, the bouncers tried to break up the fights but were filled in as well. The Red caps were called to help the police, so my Oppo and me crept out the side door to avoid getting nicked, strait into the arms of two red caps waiting outside. Being young and proud when asked if we were in the forces “yes†we replied, “good†said they “into the van†off we went for a tour around London with a red cap firing questions at us ten to the dozen. Every time the red cap asked a question he got a reply, unfortunately we didn’t add “corporal†at the end of every answer, the first time we got a fairly gentle reminder, but by the fourth or fifth time he was going as red in the face as the colour of his cap, It didn’t help that we had left our ID cards in our rooms (to stop them being lost or stolen), and rather then taking us strait back to the UJC to prove who we were they got on the radio and asked them to check out our names and numbers. They found me right away but couldn’t find my mate so we spent a nice Saturday night in the back of a service police van with a jumped up corporal who was one step away from a coronary. After about two hours the red cap asking the questions threatened to pull the van over, take us down ally way and fill us in, but before we found out if he was serious my mate was IDed, they then did pull the van over, kicked us out and told us to go back to the UJC and get our ID cards before going back on the lash again. That was my first run in with the service police but not my last. Long dit I know but it always brings on a smile thinking of that red cap getting wound up because we went out of our way not to say “corporal†at the end of every answer. :frustrated:

12. Having experienced both TA and RNR I can say that the difference was astounding. TA weekend: Drive to Salisbury Plain in 4 tonner, dig ditch, sit in ditch, go home.
    RNR weekend: Drive to Pompey or Guz in Tilly, go out on the lash, go home. 'Nuff Said!

13. I fink that the RNR weekend is superior :thumright:

14. Remember them well. What a bunch of scruffy, drunken scrotes they were. They made us matelots look well turned out. The Bootnecks were the total opposite.

Ling, what about the scrap on the jetty among the army contingent?

15. Afternoon everybody. Just thought I would nip across from the other site for a gander.

Am not going to slag you all off, I will let you do that yourself. 16 years with A***, Armourer by trade.

All I will say is that "Warship" does not make you look very good.

Now standing by for the flak, whch I can take.

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

POB: I doubt you'll get much flak, as most people here may be inclined to agree with your assessment of the programme... and to be honest, I always thought that that 'Soldier Soldier' was also a documentary... :wink:

But welcome to RR anway; hope this isn't a fleeting visit and I look forward to reading your posts in the future!

:thumright:

17. No will not be a fleeting visit. even though I left the Army 20 years ago, I still take a great deal of interest in what are Armed Forces are doing.

In fact off to a reunion this weekend. It is 25 years ago since C Sqn QDG were in Beirut Lebanon. Although we did not have the support from the RN when we were there, the RN did support A Sqn QDG and also 16/5 QRL who took over from A Sqn.

so hello to any ex RN who were involved in Beirut Lebanon and have the GSM 62 Clasp Lebanon.

As for Soldier, soldier no comment.

18. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I've worked alongside the SAS and SBS and I have to agree with you about the SAS and the miserable bunch of feckers assessment. The SBS were just plain scary though...

I've worked with a fair amount of pongos and have to say they're not a bad bunch-you just need to adjust to their methods and you'll be fine. A lot of matelots can't do this (or won't) and this causes problems. I've also experienced first hand what carnage baby pongos can inflict and have to admit that baby matelots are far better behaved (that's not saying much though!).

However, some of what the pongos do is bullshit for the sake of it and I can't be bothered with that.

I've got some very good mates who are pongos though and the attitude of both services is very similar-but completely alien to the RAF who I still have 'issues' with at times :D

Pongoonboard,

Don't worry-I think most matelots are cringing at the debacle that is 'Warship'.

19. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Pongo won some sort of unit competition, prize was 1 wk aboard frigate.

Totally impossible to find anything constructive for him to do. Ended up bulling all the shoes in the bottom of my wardrobe. Seemed perfectly happy with that. Some pairs survive, still only need a quick flick with a duster and they gleam.

20. I think the ginger scrote was stabbed ashore when he got back from the gulf, or so I heard. Not surprising really. Gash hands one and all.