The Naval Club

D

Deleted 108567

The Naval Club in Hill Street London W1 is closing in September 2021.
It is amalgamating with The Rag ---The Army and Navy Club 36 Pall Mall London SW1
Shrinking numbers taking their toll everywhere.
The Naval Club is being offered for sale at £35 million

Sidthetiff

Midshipman
It is amalgamating with The Rag ---The Army and Navy Club 36 Pall Mall London SW1
Is 36 Pall Mall called the "In and Out" My old boss took me there for lunch a couple of times when I was drafted to MOD. He was barred from most of the gaming clubs and I was a member of the Playboy Club, so he paid for lunch if I got him in the Playboy.

D

Deleted 108567

Is 36 Pall Mall called the "In and Out" My old boss took me there for lunch a couple of times when I was drafted to MOD. He was barred from most of the gaming clubs and I was a member of the Playboy Club, so he paid for lunch if I got him in the Playboy.
The In and Out is on St James's Square SW1. I think the FAA Association people have an office there. These must pale into insignificance alongside The Playboy Club--So long as you got big eats there too.

Sidthetiff

Midshipman
The In and Out is on St James's Square SW1. I think the FAA Association people have an office there. These must pale into insignificance alongside The Playboy Club--So long as you got big eats there too.
We could have a prime cut of beef for fifty p. Great value.

huwshpis

War Hero
Shame. I used to be a member, but it got too expensive when I stopped being "overseas"

D

Deleted 108567

Shame. I used to be a member, but it got too expensive when I stopped being "overseas"
Perhaps you'll qualify for their Ancient Mariner grade of membership which is quite reasonable.
I've heard that The Naval Club and the Army and Navy are having difficulty reconciling their Membership Grades. We will see.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
The original "In and Out" was actually based at Cambridge House at No 94 Piccadilly, and was so named after the prominent entrance and exit signs to the courtyard, and the nickname was transferred to front door portico pillars at the new premises when they opened in 1999.

Jack

D

Deleted 108567

The original "In and Out" was actually based at Cambridge House at No 94 Piccadilly, and was so named after the prominent entrance and exit signs to the courtyard, and the nickname was transferred to front door portico pillars at the new premises when they opened in 1999.

Jack
Thank you for that interesting information on Cambridge House. I see it was purchased by a disreputable Middle Eastern chappie called Simon Halabi for £50million who then allowed it to run into ruin.
Google Halabi and see what you think --unless you already know of him. Calls himself Mohammed (sp?) Halabi when it suits his nefarious ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

huwshpis

War Hero
I think Simon Halabi's dead. He was regarded as having the Midas touch when it came to property deals and one of the original 3 who put money into building the Shard.

huwshpis

War Hero
False alarm, he is still alive, [edited to say] it's the other two of the original 3 investors in the Shard who've karked it - Irvine Sellar in 2017 and Sten Mortstedt in 2020.

Latest Threads