Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The NATO NAVAL COMMUNICATIONS COMPETITION

As David Perry appears in the posts under the article. I would suggest the OP changes his name on here for Personal Security. Unless of course the object of the exercise is to blow ones own trumpet.

As David Perry appears in the posts under the article. I would suggest the OP changes his name on here for Personal Security. Unless of course the object of the exercise is to blow ones own trumpet.
I have nothing to boast about or blow my own trumpet about- I didn't do very well in the competition.

I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. Perhaps as it is only relevant to ex communicators perhaps I should have posted it under that section. Perhaps one of the admins could delete this thread.

Go to https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/search.htm then search with 'NATO NAVAL COMMUNICATION. COMPETITION'

You should find = About 134 results (0.33 seconds)

Let us know whether any of those results relate to your particular needs.

Meanwhiles:
Yawn - Bashing out biffers rarely appealed to communicators (let alone the rest of us!)
Thank you. Some of the information was obtained by looking through the Communicator magazines but it isn't easy or quick. Some of the information on that blogg post was obtained from a couple of other operators who've managed to contact me directly.
I'm sorry you appeared bored by my 'Biffer' but I put it here as this section was titled "Bloggs".

If you could tell me how to delete the post I'll do so.

@David Perry

I never knew that such a thing existed.
30wpm for a biffer is some going.
The speed for morse reception was increased to 36wpm for the simple reason 30wpm was relatively easily achieved by intensive training. Under the competition rules I think a maximum of 6 weeks pre- competition training was allowed which we did at HMS Mercury.

It's more thinking of security I made my remark. I would say 99% of use service associates user names. Using your own name - is a no-no.
We bang on to the young newbies all the time.
I was only required to manage 8wpm so anyone doing more to me is a god in my book of ditty dar-ing!!!

Last edited:
The speed for morse reception was increased to 36wpm for the simple reason 30wpm was relatively easily achieved by intensive training. Under the competition rules I think a maximum of 6 weeks pre- competition training was allowed which we did at HMS Mercury.
Struggled with 18-20wpm as it just became a blur after that and couldn't write fast enough if I missed a character in order to catch up.

I have nothing to boast about or blow my own trumpet about- I didn't do very well in the competition.

I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. Perhaps as it is only relevant to ex communicators perhaps I should have posted it under that section. Perhaps one of the admins could delete this thread.

Not going to delete it - we have a large number of 'lurkers' who dip in and out but not necessarily post, so some of them may have found it of interest.

Would ask you to change the call sign though, if you can. Even if PERSEC is not so relevant to individual members now, the principle of general anonymity remains valid.

Latest Threads