The most dangerous job in UK?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Apologies if I missed a previous post on this, but I wonder how many parents are aware there were 78 fatalities in the UK construction industry last year?

Construction Industry Report

I often hear parents state they do not want their offspring to join the Services, particularly the Army, because it's so dangerous, but it certainly makes you think.

2. v interesting NS.
    Just out of curiosity how does that compare with fatalitys in the services last year.

Anyone know exactly?

3. Ninja_Stoker

From the MOD Intranet:

"As at 1 August 2007, a total of 164 British Armed Forces personnel or MOD civilians have died serving on Operation TELIC since the start of the campaign in March 2003."

Obviously that's just Iraq over the previous 3 years.

4. So thats 41 a year in the last 4 years.
    A little less than the construction industry.
    Personally, I find this quite comforting.

5. You can only make a valid comparison if you do deaths per 100k employees in the "industry" per annum. The fact is there is no comparison, people join the forces mostly for other reasons than simply it is a job. Yes they expect to get paid but there are easier ways, and we have high levels of employment.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Quite right, but I wasn't trying to compare, merely stating that some jobs are more dangerous than many perceive.

7. Well............

I'm going to be a boring twat and ask the obvious then.....so......

Q. What is the most dangerous job in the UK, or for people from the UK.

8. I remember reading a similar study that put trawler fishermen near the top, Fishing 'most dangerous job' not quite like "deadliest catch" (Alaskan crab fishermen) but up there. I think highway workers have a pretty good chance of being killed or seriously injured owing to working environment and hours, and amount of driving in the job, although for years railway workers have had worse stats according to the HSE. The BBC study lists FDOs as the no.3, or is it just because its often the Joss or CWEM..????

(from above link)
    1. Fishermen
    2. Merchant seafarers
    3. Aircraft flight deck officers
    4. Railway lengthmen
    5. Scaffolders
    6. Roofers and glaziers
    7. Forestry workers
    8. Quarry and other mine workers
    9. Dockers and stevedores
    10. Lorry drivers

9. Ninja_Stoker

It's all to do with perception on what you view as dangerous.

Personally I'd be reluctant to circumcise a rhinocerous, but that's another "run-ashore dit" & I digress somewhat...

10. Dont know if anyone remembers, but technically our first casualty of the '91 Gulf war was the guy who was driving tanks off a train (in Germany IIRC) and the vehicle antenna caught the catenary and electrocuted him, causing severe burns to his legs. Although he didnt die in theater I think he was reported as a casualty as he was employed in the operation. I know there have been some deaths in Iraq that were industrial accidents or suicide but somehow are lumped into the casualty stats. Bearing in mind the average age of people in service they are far more likely to die from suicide and road accidents than combat operations even in these days of active deployments.

11. The death of anyone in any industry is sad, but is it not typical of the Government to dramatise these by stating that 'leapt by 25% to XX in XXX period....'!!

But by how much has the population of the UK expanded in that same period ?

If I recall, there is something like 300K people came into the UK recently, according to Gov figures, so on the basis of that summation, the rise is not really as drastic as it is made to seem.

It's a shame that these 'Government Ministers' do not spend as much time soundbiting on the deaths of the troops they so willingly send into combat at the drop of a hat. !

:|

12. Hear Hear!