Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Mighty 801 Naval Fighter Squadron

I believe that 801 squadrons inferiority complex started in the 60s when there where three buccaneer squadrons. 800, 801 and 809.
The two top squadrons 800 and 809 were given the best carriers HMS Eagle and HMS Ark Royal while poor old 801 had to make do with HMS Victorious.

slim said:
I believe that 801 squadrons inferiority complex started in the 60s when there where three buccaneer squadrons. 800, 801 and 809.
The two top squadrons 800 and 809 were given the best carriers HMS Eagle and HMS Ark Royal while poor old 801 had to make do with HMS Victorious.

Get out of here - I was in Victorious in the mid 60's in 893 NAS (Sea Vixens) and it was the best carrier I ever served in bar none. Incidently, I was a deck killick then and LMEM Beatty was the Lox King - he is now the General Manager of RN Historic Flight.

fido said:
slim said:

Get out of here - I was in Victorious in the mid 60's in 893 NAS (Sea Vixens) and it was the best carrier I ever served in bar none. Incidently, I was a deck killick then and LMEM Beatty was the Lox King - he is now the General Manager of RN Historic Flight.

Oh Fido you are showing your age now :)
Just as well the vixens have gone though, poor observer didn't stand much of a chance.

im only joking fido - happy new year, sat at home with the kids wishing i was out with the boys - including the guys from all harrier community - whats left of it.

If anyone is interested I have updated the 800 Squadron website with some new pictures. If you click on the 12th december paragraph it will take you to the latest pics.

[align=center]www.800nas.org.uk [/align]

Happy New year to all the guys on 801 and The unlucky 800 guys out in the 'stan'

shag_shacker said:
im only joking fido - happy new year, sat at home with the kids wishing i was out with the boys - including the guys from all harrier community - whats left of it.

Thanks shag - and a very happy New Year to you and yours - I'm just off to the pub to swing a lamp or two.

onions said:
Fido, were you on Vic when she was re-commissioned by air in Singapore?

Keep Striving.

If that's when we all flew out in a 'CrabAir' Britannia - yep. The last commission. Vic caught fire in Pompey on return from an outstanding Far East commissh and 893 went firstly to Boscombe Down (Yeovilton 09/27 runway was being extended) thence to Akrotiri in Cyprus for a very long detachment before embarking in Hermes - Vic having been condemned by the facists (Labour party) in power at the time.

Were you one of that magnificent crew too?

slim said:

You said it yourself Slim - "Never let the Truth Spoil a Good Dit"!

If VICTORIOUS was such bad news, why was she chosen for the first embarked squadron of Buccaneers operated by ....? Oh! I remember now - 801 NAS commanded very successfully by Lt Cdr Ted Anson (later Vice Admiral Sir Ted), Lt Cdr (later Commodore) Mike Clapp as SOBS and Lt Cdr (later Commander) John "Dixie" Dougan as AEO.

I was there from early 1963 to late 1964 when she was commanded by the very cheerful and throroughly professional Captain Peter Compston (later Vice Admiral Sir Peter) principally in the Far East. I was on board again in 1965/66 when Captain (later Rear Admiral) Dudley Davenport was in command following recommissioning at Singapore, and during both times VIC was a very happy and much loved ship, certainly much more so than at least one of the other carriers you mention, and in which I also served.

As a big fan of 801, and setting inter squadron rivalry aside, I feel it only fair to point out that their great success in VIC in two commissions, especially in bringing the Buccaneer into embarked squadron service, is hardly evidence of inferiority.

Jack

Jack, I used to be like that, loved 801 until I did two tours on 800, different class!

Anyway 80 who? there is only one operational Naval Air Squadron at the moment and that's 800 just back from Khandahar, well done guys (& girls).

Oh UnionJack its great to see that I can go fishing and still get a bite after being outside over 21 years.
There was never anything wrong with any of the Buccaneer squadrons, 800,801 or 809 or the ships that they embarked in. There was however always friendly rivalry between the squadrons and thats the way it should be, its good for moral. When I was on 800 squadron it was the premier Buccaneer squadron though later when I served on 809 I was convinced that 809 was the tops. I expect that if I had been drafted to 801 my loyalties would have changed somewhat. However when it came to aircraft types all buccaneer men knew that they worked on an aircraft which was far superior to a Vixen, phantom, Gannet..................
Nice to see squadron rivalry still exists, I would hate the OC brigade to interfere

Slim and ChiefTiff - Glad to see we agree on the important bit. If you have't already done so, Have a look at the Buccaneer dits on pprune.org .... we were there first!

Good wishes

Jack

Latest Threads