Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

THE METEOROLOGY SPECIALISATION - WASTE OF RATIONS?

Correct me if I'm wrong Fido but wasn't the met officer on board usually also a schoolie?
Now he was a useful man especially when it came to EVTs
 
letthecatoutofthebag said:
slim said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Fido but wasn't the met officer on board usually also a schoolie?
Now he was a useful man especially when it came to EVTs

Schoolies became Engineering (Training Managers) about 9 or so years ago and gave Met to the Droggies - they're now HM not just H.

"From Doctors and Dentists and Schoolies and Padres, good Lord deliver us"

Old Naval toast
 
slim said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Fido but wasn't the met officer on board usually also a schoolie?
Now he was a useful man especially when it came to EVTs

You're absolutley right Slim, times however, have moved on and Schoolies had to reinvent themselves when it was discovered that new entries to the Royal Navy were educationally better qualified than those very same schoolies. Since then the 'Seaweed Queens' have been scooped up by the Droggies (who, I must admit are quite useful [and get cracking good runs ashore in S.America])!

Let The Cat Out of the Bag has more below.
 
MUST AGREE I CHANGED TO THE MET BRANCH BRANCH CIRCA 1974,AFTER 12 YEARS AS A CLANKY,DID A COMMISSION ON PREVIOUS ARK ROYAL AND A COUPLE OF AIRSTATIONS,AND THOUGHT IT A WASTE OF SPACE,TOP HEAVY WITH OFFICERS EMPIRE BUILDING,DUFF KIT,AND OLD MET DATA,THATS GARBLED ,THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO READ IT WHERE THE CREWS OF THE A.I.GS. FOLLOWING US,AFTER IT WAS DITCHED LEFT BRANCH ASAP,BUT ON THE UP SIDE ,MISSUS DOES ASK IF ITS OK TO PUT THE DHOBYIN' OUT,AND MOST TIMES AM RIGHT.TO THE AIRCREWS OF ALL WEATHER FIGHTERS I SAY,LET THE MET MAN KIP,TO GET MY RESPECT,LOOK OUT THE SCUTTLE AN SAY' FCUK IT I'M GOING'
 
ganges62 said:
MUST AGREE I CHANGED TO THE MET BRANCH BRANCH CIRCA 1974,AFTER 12 YEARS AS A CLANKY,DID A COMMISSION ON PREVIOUS ARK ROYAL AND A COUPLE OF AIRSTATIONS,AND THOUGHT IT A WASTE OF SPACE,TOP HEAVY WITH OFFICERS EMPIRE BUILDING,DUFF KIT,AND OLD MET DATA,THATS GARBLED ,THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO READ IT WHERE THE CREWS OF THE A.I.GS. FOLLOWING US,AFTER IT WAS DITCHED LEFT BRANCH ASAP,BUT ON THE UP SIDE ,MISSUS DOES ASK IF ITS OK TO PUT THE DHOBYIN' OUT,AND MOST TIMES AM RIGHT.TO THE AIRCREWS OF ALL WEATHER FIGHTERS I SAY,LET THE MET MAN KIP,TO GET MY RESPECT,LOOK OUT THE SCUTTLE AN SAY' FCUK IT I'M GOING'

ganges62, nothing has changed - the 'wet mets' continue to be a self serving bunch of cloud gazers with little to do but record what has already happened and, as we all know, that 'aint difficult. Any seaman or outdoor person is perfectly capable of working out the future weather by virtue of experience and observation.

We must have been in Ark together - I served in Ark 1969 - 1972 and then again between 1976 until paying off.
 
HI FIDO,I LEFT ARK NOV 76,HAVE THREE DAYS MISSING OUT OF MY LIFE,LAUDERDALE BICENTENNIAL YEAR INDEPENDANCE DAY.SORRY RITA YOU WERE A GREAT GIRL,YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE PUSHY WHEN YOU ASKED ME TO DESERT AND SHACK UP WITH YOU. :whew:
 
Good Grief - if any further proof were needed on the usefulness (or otherwise) of the Met Spec consider this:

a. VL SMETO declined to not turn up for work because it was wet and windy in Weymouth and he didn't want to risk driving.

b. Having arranged a self imposed inspection by the HM trappers, he detailed off the Met Junior ratings to weed and garden the SAMOS site to avoid any criticism.

Nuff said!
 
chockhead819 said:
Just found out one of Hermes Met Wrens was last seen working as an FDO on Lusty!!
How about that Roger!!

Chocks,

You're having me on shipmate - either that or I'm not reading too well after my daily tot!

Do hope that you are well - Rooty ain't - had to have his cartilege done but God was with him!

Yours aye,

Fido
 
No tis true Paddy Cottingham I only found when speaking to another NavAir.
How can a softie like Wroot damage a cartlige???
Must be with carrying all the cheese & biscuits up to the VCP!
 
chockhead819 said:
No tis true Paddy Cottingham I only found when speaking to another NavAir.
How can a softie like Wroot damage a cartlige???
Must be with carrying all the cheese & biscuits up to the VCP!

There's a mutiny brewing in the VL Met Section - all to do (I hear) with 'carbon footprints' preventing some from having to travel to wor more than once a week!

As for Wrooty - he's spent the last six months on EVT (PRVT as now is) - we're fresh out of cheese, biscuits and sacremental wine but God and Crash Evans love him.
 
Nice to see you back Roger, where you been I'm still waiting for that cuppa you offered in 86!!


Can't be bad when a Lt Cdr offers a NavAir a cuppa, i don't mind if theres no cheese they need it on the lusty by the looks of the tv programme :)
 
Hi Chocks, not only the TV programme (cringe!) but a NA(AH) drove a tractor off the flight deck whilst alongside in Istanbul leaving a Merlin in the port forward cat walk. The last tractor over the side that I can remember was NA Vickers in Ark whilst anchored of Barcelona!

Yours aye,

Fido
 

Latest Threads

Top