The Lord Mayor's Show

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by angrydoc, Nov 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched a bit of this on TV this morning.

I'm no drill queen, but I don't think I have ever seen as much tick-tocking and generally awful marching. It was embarrassing on occasion. The culprits were mainly RAF and RN, presumably mainly Reservists. There was also a fair smattering of cadets who have more of an excuse I suppose.

Does anyone concur or am I just about to get flames by every Reservist on here?

2. talk about hand-cuffed crabs!
    i think that they were reservists though, but still officers.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

RNR was AWFUL.

4. I concur, we are talking in general terms aren't we!?

5. Definately concur. I only saw the London RNR Det. Each member was in step only with themselves, and when they did the eyes left for the Mayor they were all over the road. I bet there were Chief GI's turning in their graves.......... :roll:

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Guys,

If you're so good, perhaps you'd like to give up your weekends for it? Most of that detachment were either new entry, or recently back from an Op tour doing their job for real.

Its very easy to criticis, harder to put money where your mouth is.

7. So you were marching then

8. I'd say that most Matelots, not just Reservists, have issues with co-ordinated walking.

P-T did these new RNRers/Just back from Ops guys not get a drill sesh or two once they'd been pinged?
    As per with RNR issues 'The lady doth protest too much.' me thinks.

9. Purple_twiglet

"So you were marching then"

Nope - am in Theatre and not part of said unit.

However, it pisses me off when people decide that its a good idea to post anonymously on the open internet to slag off people - either regular or reserve, who are giving up their time to keep the armed forces in the public eye. I'd have responded identically if this had been an attack on the regular RN too - its very easy for some people here to sit back and criticise - its a hell of a lot harder to actually go and do the job.

Many years ago I used to be a member of said unit, and I know that this weekend is one of the busiest in their calendar. They will have done the LMS yesterday, and prepped today to travel all over SE England to provide small colour parties at a wide range of ceremonies to ensure that there is an RN presence at places which otherwise would not get one. They will have had minimal preparation time beforehand, many won't have been in the RNR for very long and due to the way the RNR works, it wont have been possible to spend a week rehearsing for the event - at best they may have got an hour on one Tuesday night. I didnt see the parade and don't know what went right, or wrong, and if they were out of step then I'm sure that something will be done about it for next time. However, I'd much rather that the RNR was there, representing the Navy, even if a couple were out of step, than not there at all.

So, while you sit there smugly slagging off a pretty dedicated bunch of people who are helping keep the RN in the public eye, ask yourself this - if you have that much of an issue with the units drill, what are you going to do about it? Do you have the moral courage to write a signed letter to the CO of the Unit openly criticising his people, or do you just want to sit here and get your cheap little anonymous shot in and feel better for doing that?

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Purple twiglet

I am glad that you are able to condone slack drill and put down any person who thinks that a bit of personal and unit pride is a bad thing. These people have given up their Saturday after all!! Pity they did not give up just a couple of Saturdays prior to this so they could learn to saunter along together. Still, no matter, no one will notice out of the millions of people watching.

Strangely enough, most of this sort of drill comes because people are trying too hard and stiffen up instead of relaxing and marching normally.

Having said that, poor drill, 8O , it will probably be the same next year 8) - so well done to those that took part and keep coming back.

11. Purple_twiglet

Ageing Gracefully - I am not condoning slack drill - I havent seen the footage to see how bad it really was, and don't want to pass direct comment on it until I have seen it.

For those of you not familiar with the RNR, it doesnt have many training days to play with, and its almost impossible to get the full guard together for a rehearsal prior to an event like this. So you often have to make do with what you can - thats not the fault of the lads, its an inevitable result of not having enough finance to fully fund all aspects of training.

As for the personal / unit pride - thats a cheap and unnecessary shot - PRESIDENT has one of the best team spirits that I've ever encountered in an RNR unit. They are a good bunch of people who are incredibly committed to supporting the RN and they deserve better than a bunch of people anonymously slagging their efforts off.

So once again, for all those of you out there posting who are saying 'they were shite' - do you have the moral courage to write to the Unit to say so and put your name to the letter? Come on, I'll even give you the name of the CO and their address via PM if you want it. After all you seem happy enough to slag them off behind their backs, why aren't you prepared to go on the record and do so.

12. Yep they were shite, pm me the address .

13. I did suspect this would happen.

P-T, don't take this personally. If you watch the footage I'm sure you'll agree the standard could be better.

I would have thought extra preparation could have gone into such a public event. If the personnel were tired etc then other Units could have been called for help in plenty of time. That's how the RN would do it. And, for the record, there's one or two RN personnel taking part in Ceremonies this morning too.

There should be no need for letter writing as the appropriate personnel should already be aware of the situation having seen it. It wasn't just the RNR - the RAuxAF was terrible too.

And your post on the RNR thread mustering support is a bit inflammatory, don't you think?

14. Purple_twiglet

PM sent as requested.

As for 'mustering support' - I'm making sure that as this thread was posted in a quiet subforum without many posters, that the RNR personnel who may well have been there are aware of it - if you want to criticise people, then do so where they are more likely to see it. I know a lot of PRESIDENTS are on the RNR forum, but tend not to cross post and I think its only fair that they have a chance to defend themselves.

MOD Edit - As this is turning into a purely RNR thread, not a 'fleet thread' I've tput this into the RNR forum now so it is more likely to be seen by those who were involved, and merged with the other threads on it, rather than clog up 2 forums

15. I watched some of the parade, and I thought the standard of marching was pretty much that - standard. What I thought was appalling was the Guards' band. They were nowhere near as crisp and smart as the BoG are at Trooping the Colour. Let's not forget that, CAMUS aside, most of those there could be described as 'operational, not decorational'.

16. PT, I really think you are trying for Cock of the Month, we are all grown up and should be allowed to pass comment on the absolutley shite marching of that group.

If they can't do the task required, get them to stay at home, whether they tried their best, just back from ops, (looking at them, I doubt it) or whatever reason, they were an embarrassment to the RN.

EDITED FOR PERSONAL ABUSE - Any abuse towards other posters will be deleted.

17. PT, it was hard to decide which of your irrational rants to quote this one will do..!

Points for your consideration in no particular order, some made by others already:

1) Giving up a Saturday is not an excuse for slack drills.

2) A lack of training days is not an exuce for slack drills; turn to on the Friday night, on your own time if you had to and march till you've cracked it, then get in the mess. This is a lack of effective leadership rather than a lack of money.

3) The ongoing reserve forces review could do with focusing on the points 1) and 2) above.

4) This is an internet forum; anonymity is part and parcel of participation.

5) It is you who are making unreasonable judgements about others without considering their context. I was one of the first to express an opinion on this thread. Why? because as a reservist for 18 years I know what it is to give up a weeke paid or unpaid.

6) As a member of RMR London for 6 of those years I marched in the LMS 4 times As you rightly point out November is a ridiculously busy time of year, doing 4 weekends on the bounce was not uncommon and the Unit met the footprint requirement over Remembrance weekend every year without lowering standards.

7) I have no desire write in to HMS President and express my view about the lack of effective leadership that results in such a poor performance. My experience of the RNR over 18 years is that while there are many professional individuals their is an institutional williingness to politic at all levels rather that focus on building the reputation of their establishments. If you feel the CO there need to know what's being said drop him an email on our behalf with a linky...

8) Most importantly, the public does not see what ship you are from or which unit you serve in on these parades, they see the rig, in this case that of the RN. As a bootneck marching in arctic whites in the same parade I didn't fly a banner from my sloped skis saying "forigve our slackness, we are RMR" we made sure that any bootneck watching would feel we represented the Corps to the Corps's standards.

Summary: You are very quick to distance yourself from their performance. My advice is take onboard the opinions expressed and spend less time having a hissy fit and more time considering what can be done to get it right next time if it happens on your watch.

Edited for gash spelling assorted typos..

18. Wasn't this thread or one of similar content done last year as well?
    Obviously the lack of outraged letter writing to RNR COs by RumRation members has resulted in another poor display.
    Something should be done!! 8O

Like perhaps the CO of President having a look at a recording of the parade and taking steps so next years display doesn't provoke such 'undeserved' criticism. :roll:

19. Purple_twiglet

Labrum

Thank you for your points. I will reiterate - I have not seen the Iplayer, as my desktop PC in HERRICK doesnt support it and it will be some time before I can see it to pass judgement.

I am well aware of the issues with the RNR, and, after a similar length of time in to yourself, I am well aware of the politicing that goes on. However, I am a firm believer in ensuring that the unit internally handles issues, and is externally supported. I have no doubt that if things were as bad as is being alleged (and as said, I havent seen it to confirm this), then there will be an inquiry and internally things will be dealt with.
    What annoys me though is the way that people see fit to slag off others without thought as to what is or isnt going on, and the circumstances behind this. I will publicly support 100% the RN, RM, RNR and RMR participation in these events, and not stand by while others see fit to slag people off anonymously. Why? Because I think that if you are concerned enough to post on the internet about someones performance and slag off their efforts, you should be concerned enough to write it and make a complaint and stand up for your viewpoint.
    I believe in standing up publicly for those people - there may well be private conversations, and changes of practise, but that is an internal unit matter. To my mind it is simple - I will 100% publicly support anyone or any unit which comes under fire on this board because someone didnt like how they marched or stood or breathed, because I don't think that it is appropriate for us to slag off our shipmates in this way.
    Call me old fashioned but I believe in demonstrating public loyalty to our comrades (regular or reserve, serving or retired) who are publicly representing us, and not displays of cattiness and backstabbing to make them look bad. By all means have a closed cabin conversation, and sort things out for next time - but do it privately and not for the whole world to see our dirty laundry.