The longest time ashore ( Culdrose or whatever)

PINCH

War Hero
What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)

Best you get back there then you tosser, Because you left it in shit order, we are trying to put it back together, and give the people a focus on their future, without having tossers like you leaching of them

We have been training and supporting navies, overseas since the 1800's you prick.. It pays well, and we win hearts and minds. That is what you as a tax payer pay us to do!

slim

War Hero
andym said:
I joined in Aug 78 and left in Dec 84.Apart from an afternoon on Hermes and 2 afternoons on Diamond and Russel(HTS for Casulaty handling)i never set foot on a Pusser War Canoe!

Well done Andym
Lots of jealous sailors out there.
I did 22 years as a wafu and spent about 4of those years at sea. there again I always was unlucky, some of my mates did a lot less

andym

War Hero
Not sure its something to be shouted about.They were selling off ships faster than they could shut Shore Estabs and with the Medical Branch some 1500 overborne Seadrafts were thin on the ground.I even spent time with the Army on the ambulance strike in 82 just before the FI conflict.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Are these soldiers or sailors you're referring to What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)

BB, Lots of us have served in Joint appointments working with our Army and RAF cousins. It is not unusual to have served on the land overseas but still be a matelot. I was in Sierra Leone for the civil war, Mozambique for the floods in 2000 as well as a couple of other non-traditional places.

BusterQuin

War Hero
andym said:
I joined in Aug 78 and left in Dec 84.Apart from an afternoon on Hermes and 2 afternoons on Diamond and Russel(HTS for Casulaty handling)i never set foot on a Pusser War Canoe!

Doesn't time on the Gosport ferry and PAS boats count Andy

Seadog

War Hero
IIRC there were sailors ashore in one of the Boer Wars, a division ashore in WWI as infantry. Don't kid yourself that sailors employed in extraneous duties began when you left bumblenorman.

I notice from your posts that every second post you make includes a request for an explanation or a declaration that includes 'I'm not sure'. Is there anything you do know or do you just have a lot of uninformed opinions?

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Sailors landed guns and fought ashore to relieve Lucknow in the Indian Mutiny 1857 - the RN pulling the army's chestnuts out of the fire as usual - Norway, Dunkirk, Crete you name it. The Navy had to run the Ashantee war until the army bothered to turn up.

Re WW1, the RND was Churchill's idea and eventually was mostly recruited from Durham miners. Officers included Rupert Brooke and AP Herbert. There's a flourishing RND Association which commemorates this Division and its actions in Belgium, Gallipoli and France and Flanders.

chief tiff - harrier. been in 16 1/2 years - 6 years at sea.

my neighbour a LCH or whatever they call em nowadays, been in 7 years 6 years at sea.

boy does it piss him off.

bumblebee

Banned
PINCH said:
What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)

Best you get back there then you tosser, Because you left it in shit order, we are trying to put it back together, and give the people a focus on their future, without having tossers like you leaching of them

We have been training and supporting navies, overseas since the 1800's you prick.. It pays well, and we win hearts and minds. That is what you as a tax payer pay us to do!
One can only hope that with your charm and diplomacy the Sierra Leone sailors have been spared your company.

Latest Threads