The longest time ashore ( Culdrose or whatever)

#1
Am compiling a list recording the longest period of time a Royal Naval Officer or rating has spent ashore as a proportion of his/her naval service.
I currently have two 100 per cent's for officers having served over 30 years. 30 years and never once been to sea. Well!! Let me know.
No names just details please.
I've just heard that a WO at Yeovilton, retiring shortly, has spent the past 13 and a half years there.
Where have all our taxes gone?
 
#2
Longest i've spent ashore was a total of 2 years at Sultan. But then I'm one of those matelots who likes to go sea-to-sea and didn't join up to be a barrack stantion. :)
 
#3
Lamri said:
Longest i've spent ashore was a total of 2 years at Sultan. But then I'm one of those matelots who likes to go sea-to-sea and didn't join up to be a barrack stantion. :)
Good fer you me ol' mucker. Otherwise, presumably you'd have joined the army. I seem to remember Sultan as Siskin
but 2 years there Sultan or Siskin would have been enough for me, and you. Well done!
 
#5
bumblebee said:
Am compiling a list recording the longest period of time a Royal Naval Officer or rating has spent ashore as a proportion of his/her naval service.
Ashore where? I'm sure those currently in Afghanistan or Iraq don't consider it too much of a waste of taxpayers money (Beyond the obvious issue of UK PLC being there at all). I wonder what those who spent time shoreside in Sierra Leone , the Balkans, Georgia, Cambodia etc over the last years might imagine?

I currently have two 100 per cent's for officers having served over 30 years. 30 years and never once been to sea. Well!! Let me know.
Presumably legacy WRNS?
 

navyeo60

Lantern Swinger
#6
Much like Nutty, between '60 and '72 I had 16 weeks at Raleigh and throughout my time I had courses for RP Basic, Navigators Yeoman, and RP2 at Dryad. Total time ashore 1 year 2 months the rest at sea mainly East of Suez. It's what I joined the mob for though so no complaints. :thumright:
 
#7
Just checked on my SC's non sea appointments/drafts 105 months in total in 35 years. 35X12 = 420 months 1% of full time = 4.2 months 105 / 4.2 25%

Not too bad really
 

exile1

Lantern Swinger
#8
The only sea time I did after 1962 was brown-bagging it..from the Sub Andrew right thru the alphabet to HMS Zulu............Oh, and the Star Ferry of course!
 
#9
agrippa said:
been in 14 years. 2 years training, 1 year teaching at Raleigh, Now on LFS. All the rest in Sea Billit.
Good for you. Not sure what LFS is but my taxes well spent on you and yours. Say, 10 years or more of your time in the Andrew at sea . Now that's what you joined the navy for. It's the 10 years or more ashore I'm detailing.
 
#10
Good fer you me ol' mucker. Otherwise, presumably you'd have joined the army. I seem to remember Sultan as Siskin
but 2 years there Sultan or Siskin would have been enough for me, and you. Well done!

H.M.S.Siskin was the School of Aircraft Handling up to about late 56 or early 57 I believe, I did my Training there although we lived at Daedalus Lee- on - Solent.
 
#11
I heard of a CPO on another forum who did his full 22 at Yeovilton and never went to sea, he did something with helicopters and rivets (not the golden kind)
 
#12
exile1 said:
The only sea time I did after 1962 was brown-bagging it..from the Sub Andrew right thru the alphabet to HMS Zulu............Oh, and the Star Ferry of course!
Now submariners are in a different class. I hold, and have always held, the greatest admiration for those who carry out duties beneath the sea that most of us cannot even imagine. Whatever my criticism of today's navy might be it does certainly not apply to Submariners.
 
#14
Karma said:
bumblebee said:
Am compiling a list recording the longest period of time a Royal Naval Officer or rating has spent ashore as a proportion of his/her naval service.
Ashore where? I'm sure those currently in Afghanistan or Iraq don't consider it too much of a waste of taxpayers money (Beyond the obvious issue of UK PLC being there at all). I wonder what those who spent time shoreside in Sierra Leone , the Balkans, Georgia, Cambodia etc over the last years might imagine?

I currently have two 100 per cent's for officers having served over 30 years. 30 years and never once been to sea. Well!! Let me know.
Presumably legacy WRNS?
Are these soldiers or sailors you're referring to What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)
 
#16
bumblebee said:
Karma said:
bumblebee said:
Am compiling a list recording the longest period of time a Royal Naval Officer or rating has spent ashore as a proportion of his/her naval service.
Ashore where? I'm sure those currently in Afghanistan or Iraq don't consider it too much of a waste of taxpayers money (Beyond the obvious issue of UK PLC being there at all). I wonder what those who spent time shoreside in Sierra Leone , the Balkans, Georgia, Cambodia etc over the last years might imagine?

I currently have two 100 per cent's for officers having served over 30 years. 30 years and never once been to sea. Well!! Let me know.
Presumably legacy WRNS?
Are these soldiers or sailors you're referring to What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)
What are Legacy Wrens pray? The only WRNS I came across wouldn't have known what Legacy was. Legover-- Now that's different. Most would have known
 
#18
bumblebee said:
[
Presumably legacy WRNS?What are Legacy Wrens pray? The only WRNS I came across wouldn't have known what Legacy was. Legover-- Now that's different. Most would have known
EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????
 
#19
letthecatoutofthebag said:
bumblebee said:
What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone?
Training the Sierra Leone Navy. Just as there are sailors in Southern Iraq training the Iraqi Navy.
Hitherto, we trained the Iranian navy at HMS Ganges. We trained the Japanese navy at HMS Excellent and elsewhere. We are training Zimbabwe Cadets at Sandhurst. Why?
 
#20
letthecatoutofthebag said:
bumblebee said:
letthecatoutofthebag said:
bumblebee said:
What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone?
Training the Sierra Leone Navy. Just as there are sailors in Southern Iraq training the Iraqi Navy.
Hitherto, we trained the Iranian navy at HMS Ganges. We trained the Japanese navy at HMS Excellent and elsewhere. We are training Zimbabwe Cadets at Sandhurst. Why?
Two answers:

1. Defence Diplomacy. Make friends and influence people, etc.

2. Money. Its often said that one International cadet at BRNC pays for 6 RN Cadets (as the RN urban myth goes).
I fear we are sharing different planets. If it's money-- Then we had all better walk the streets. Principles? None
 

Similar threads

Top