The longest time ashore ( Culdrose or whatever)

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by bumblebee, Aug 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am compiling a list recording the longest period of time a Royal Naval Officer or rating has spent ashore as a proportion of his/her naval service.
    I currently have two 100 per cent's for officers having served over 30 years. 30 years and never once been to sea. Well!! Let me know.
    No names just details please.
    I've just heard that a WO at Yeovilton, retiring shortly, has spent the past 13 and a half years there.
    Where have all our taxes gone?

2. Longest i've spent ashore was a total of 2 years at Sultan. But then I'm one of those matelots who likes to go sea-to-sea and didn't join up to be a barrack stantion. :)

3. Good fer you me ol' mucker. Otherwise, presumably you'd have joined the army. I seem to remember Sultan as Siskin
    but 2 years there Sultan or Siskin would have been enough for me, and you. Well done!

4. been in 14 years. 2 years training, 1 year teaching at Raleigh, Now on LFS. All the rest in Sea Billit.

5. Ashore where? I'm sure those currently in Afghanistan or Iraq don't consider it too much of a waste of taxpayers money (Beyond the obvious issue of UK PLC being there at all). I wonder what those who spent time shoreside in Sierra Leone , the Balkans, Georgia, Cambodia etc over the last years might imagine?

Presumably legacy WRNS?

6. Much like Nutty, between '60 and '72 I had 16 weeks at Raleigh and throughout my time I had courses for RP Basic, Navigators Yeoman, and RP2 at Dryad. Total time ashore 1 year 2 months the rest at sea mainly East of Suez. It's what I joined the mob for though so no complaints. :thumright:

7. Just checked on my SC's non sea appointments/drafts 105 months in total in 35 years. 35X12 = 420 months 1% of full time = 4.2 months 105 / 4.2 25%

Not too bad really

8. The only sea time I did after 1962 was brown-bagging it..from the Sub Andrew right thru the alphabet to HMS Zulu............Oh, and the Star Ferry of course!

9. Good for you. Not sure what LFS is but my taxes well spent on you and yours. Say, 10 years or more of your time in the Andrew at sea . Now that's what you joined the navy for. It's the 10 years or more ashore I'm detailing.

10. Good fer you me ol' mucker. Otherwise, presumably you'd have joined the army. I seem to remember Sultan as Siskin
    but 2 years there Sultan or Siskin would have been enough for me, and you. Well done!

H.M.S.Siskin was the School of Aircraft Handling up to about late 56 or early 57 I believe, I did my Training there although we lived at Daedalus Lee- on - Solent.

11. I heard of a CPO on another forum who did his full 22 at Yeovilton and never went to sea, he did something with helicopters and rivets (not the golden kind)

12. Now submariners are in a different class. I hold, and have always held, the greatest admiration for those who carry out duties beneath the sea that most of us cannot even imagine. Whatever my criticism of today's navy might be it does certainly not apply to Submariners.

13. What is the point of it all?

14. Are these soldiers or sailors you're referring to What on earth are sailors doing ashore in Sierra leone? (a country I know well)

15. RN of course, given that was the context of your question. Or am I expecting too much, for that to have been understood?

16. What are Legacy Wrens pray? The only WRNS I came across wouldn't have known what Legacy was. Legover-- Now that's different. Most would have known

17. Now now, Kindly refrain from superiority. Sailors ashore? Doing what?

18. EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????

19. Hitherto, we trained the Iranian navy at HMS Ganges. We trained the Japanese navy at HMS Excellent and elsewhere. We are training Zimbabwe Cadets at Sandhurst. Why?

20. I fear we are sharing different planets. If it's money-- Then we had all better walk the streets. Principles? None