The law is an ass ( hole ) in the USA

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by hobbit, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I suppose it should be the lawyer who is the asshole for beginning this case but it is perhaps a classic example of how a useful modern service can be mis-used . The money and stress caused by this no-brain is incredible . He either has to be insane or simply a bastard , either way he should be thrown out of the legal profession . What a bleedin ' tosser . Still , Disneyland , what can you expect and these are the ones trying to sort out the troubles of the world ,

Dry cleaner wins 'missing pants' case
    Tuesday Jun 26 05:53 AEST
    AP - A US judge has ruled in favour of a South Korean dry cleaner who was sued for $US54 million ($A63.8 million) over a missing pair of pants in a case that garnered international attention and renewed calls for litigation reform.

The owners of Custom Cleaners did not violate the city's consumer protection act by failing to live up to Roy L Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign that was once placed in the store window, District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled.

Bartnoff ordered Pearson to pay the court costs of defendants Soo Chung, Jin Nam Chung and Ki Y Chung, which came to just over $US1,000 ($A1,180), the Chungs' lawyer said.
  2. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Sorry Hobbit, but that is in America. If you can find a similar case in the UK I would be surprised.
  3. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Point taken and as mentioned, Disneyland ( US ) , the land of make-believe where trivial cases are the norm although this one is extreme . OJ is another example perhaps .It seems in the US ridiculous cases are made for almost any minor matter .

Interesting perhaps this quote from way back

A lawyer is a gentlemen that rescues your estate from your enemies and then keeps it to himself.
    Author: Lord Henry P. Brougham 1778-1868, Scottish Whig Politician
  4. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

If you go private for medical treatment do you begrudge paying the doctor or your dentist? No because you pay them for their knowledge. Should you wish to extract your own brain tumour then off you go, and similarly if you wish to conduct your own criminal defence, you are perfectly entitled to do so. But do not imagine that you can do either as well as a person who has spent many years doing the same thing until they are perfect at it.
  5. Wot's a TOG again, Rosie??
    Is it "a person who has spent many years doing the same thing until they are perfect at it."
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  6. Some interesting quotes have been made by leading people regarding the law and medicine . My main concern with them is where they are self regulating and beyond the law . Some awfully large outstanding income tax debts where I' m located , no prizes for naming the guilty profession . Anyway, nothing personal about this although history and the present time reflect public perception in these areas .

Doctors are just the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too.
    Author: Anton Chekhov 1860-1904, Russian Playwright, Short Story Writer
  7. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Highly unlikely that someone else is going to hire another expensive doctor so that they argue about your treatment for four years, resulting in no treatment, but several very rich doctors. :money: :money: :money:
  8. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Whilst most of the time I would agree with you, this time the lawyer in question was the plonker making the claim, an US Judge no less, although from reports on the radio this morning his fellow lawyers are working hard to ensure this is the end of his legal carreer.
  9. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

How about the innumerable land border cases over two or three inches, trees blocking views, apples that have fallen next door cos the tree overhangs, rights of way. All cash for Solicitors

10. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Boundary disputes, like divorces, are driven by clients. Any sensible person would not fight over 3 inches now would they? However irrational and angry clients insist on matters being pushed through the courts. A lawyers duty is to his clients, and if you say to a client, really mate, no chance of winning, client goes elsewhere.

And Geoffers a TOG is a Terry's Old Gal or Geezer, I can direct you to the web site if you like?
  11. A lawyers duty is to his/her bank account
  12. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

Whilst I would agree that the solicitor is but Mr Numpty's servant, I understood the code of practice today does require the solicictor to advise the client of both the likely costs and the likely outcome before accepting Mr Numpty's instructions or is that just up here in the civilised part of the country.
  13. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

I have attended many Criminal Court cases where the four people who seem to know the least about the matter and what they are doing are the two barristers and CPS and defence Solicitors, that is if they have not just sent a clerk along. Most of whom only read the brief on the train to the court or in the robing room. In most cases even the Judge displays more knowledge of the facts than either the prosecution or defence.

14. ok ok I give in, all lawyers are sharks, we are a complete drain on society. I shall go away now and never darken your door again.

Shheeesh. Bullies.
  15. Hey Rosina it could be worse, you could be a Traffic Warden or even worse a Speed Camera Operator.
  16. Rosy

Unfortunately you have chosen a profession the is rated only above
    Politic ions, Journalists, Estate Agents and Double Glazing Salesmen in the Publics, no doubt well founded, estimation of truthfulness and honesty.

PS OF course many Politicians are legally trained.

18. Re: The law is an ass ( hole )

To an extent there is an ethical question there, if one is convinced that a case has no merit and the client is going to pursue it anyway, does one just take the money, since otherwise it'd just go to the competition down the street. Complex considerations because a failure on the case may have an impact on reputation and consequential market presence.

There are similar issues in my profession, when clients bring in MCs to legitimise their bad decisions.

Of course many clients see the statement above, or similar from MCs, as the professions equivalent of a car mechanic sucking his teeth, shaking his head etc.
  19. Oh we are in a mood this morning, shouting in red, hangover from too much Fundador last night?