The last man to be hung from the yard-arm of one of HM Ships

Discussion in 'History' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Royal Marine Private John Dalliger.

Précis - He joined HMS Leven in February 1860. He was of previous bad character, with rather an unsavoury record, but a Lt Hudson, anxious to give him a chance of re-habilitating himself, made him his personal servant. For some months everything went well…....

Until the 8th of July 1860; when Lieutenant Hudson missed some wine and brandy from his cabin and informed Mne. Dalliger that he was satisfied that he had stolen it.

Marine Dalliger then went and shot both Lt Hudson and the CO of HMS Leven.

After being clapped in irons he was later court-martialled.

Within 24 hours of the CM Mne. Dalliger was hanged from the yard-arm of HMS Leven on 13th July, 1860 - Not for that alcohol theft - but for his murderous attack on both his Commanding Officer and Lt. Hudson.

Full account here: NB pdf page 95

(The Naval Review: 1946 Issue 2 (Vol. XXXIV. No. 2 Page 200)
  2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Bootnecks, can't trust 'em.
  3. What a very interesting read!!
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Typical bloody Navy, blame the bootneck.
  5. A Bootneck in charge of the grog and some goes west?
    Whoda thunk it.
    IMO Lt Hudson deserved to be shot for being such a green cnut! 8O :twisted:
  6. Re: The last man to be hung from the yard-arm of one of HM S

Great post,like to study RN history especially from Nelson times and I have a lot but any others posts like this are a bonus.Thanks, any more will be welcome if you come across them.regards
  7. Re: The last man to be hung from the yard-arm of one of HM S

Did you see this one the other day?
  8. Re: The last man to be hung from the yard-arm of one of HM S

Yes I did,I have numerous books re.Nelsons Navy but of more importrance to me sometimes,are the wonderful paintings of our 90 gun and under Frigates etc.
    I have these paintings reproduced in some large books that do justice to the artists.
    We have had some fine marine artists that I never knew about much less a chance to see their work.
    I also like the annecodotes such as you posted,as well as others I have posted re.two sailors hanged from the yard for buggery!poor sods were drunk and hadn't had shore leave for a couple of years or more, but strung up they were.
  9. Could be wrong, but the last matelot to be executed for murder may have been Fireman W Croft in Italy in 1945. He had deserted, and shot one of the band of thieves he was running with. One of his oppos was also charged with murder, but the charge was reduced when the pathologist reported that the victim was already dead when the second shot was fired. (Lucky man !)
    The only reason I came across this was that a member of the firing squad wrote to the MoD in the 90s and asked why he had had to carry out this onerous duty, and I got the research job.
    ADM 156/232 at the National Archive gives the full story.