The Last Battleship

Discussion in 'History' started by SJRM_RN, Sep 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit of a gem of a video here, a Pathe news report on the decommissioning of HMS VANGUARD ...

• Like Like x 2
  2. I would have liked to have seen her, a waste of manpower these days but the septics managed to use a couple of theirs. Vanguard would have been handy for NGS down south!

Anyway, I thought Victory was our last battleship?

3. There are couple of good photographs in the Still and West recording when she was a very close neighbour of theirs.

4. Is not HMS Victory a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line and not actually a battleship seeing as the term wasn't in use when commisioned? Semantics maybe, but tradition dear boy, it's nearly all we've got left.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Please sir, please sir, I went on board Vanguard as a schoolboy in 1953 and stood on her quarterdeck under those guns.

Last seen by me in Gib in 1955. There was a story that she was slightly twisted after being thumped by Implac while Implac was berthing, don't know if there was anything in that.

6. It was Indomitable February 1951.
    She was squeezing in between HMS's Bulawayo ( a captured German oiler) and Implacable

7. She certainly was - I saw her as a young lad when we had a family outing down Rhu Narrows to watch her come in. What a beautiful looking ship for the time.

8. Gibraltar was desperate run ashore when the Home and Med Fleets were in.
    Few nubile females thousands of randy matelots.
    La linea did well however
    Bars and Putas had a roaring trade.
    The street silk screen printer saw them queueing up to have their names on the bull-fighting poster as the Torreador.
    The while-you-wait street photographer to snap them with a puta of their choice in front of a bored-out of-its-mind mule. At least the puta had a smile on her face as she had just relieved the lad (and probably the rest of his ship's company) of a few Pesetas on the nearby cama de matrimonio