The King's speech

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a fairly frequent movie goer, in recent years I have to say that whilst there have been the odd few good films, it's a long time since I felt moved to either recommend or suggest a great one.

The King's speech, for me, was a great film. All the more so since my missus said she wanted to see it & I was completely disinterested & actually went along with the intention of having an expensive & disgruntled kip once again. I still haven't forgiven her for Robin Hood, the epic that could have been literally halved and still told the strory - the erased half should take those bloody ridiculous LCVPs and shove them,

The story is set at the time of the death of King George V and the abdication of King Edward VIII, leaving the reluctant Albert who has suffered from a Pythonesue stutter all his life, suddenly crowned King George VI. Dumbledore, sorry George Vee, comes across entirely as an entirely credible bully, his missus a cold fish, Eddy Eight an ass, Wallis a trollop, Bertie dysfunctional to the max, Elizabeth (the current Queen's mother) and Logue (the speech therapist) the only sane ones amongst them. All the parts, I thought, were brilliantly portrayed. Oscar nominees have got to be Colin Firth (Bertie), Helena Bonham Carter (Elizabeth) and top of the shop, Geoffrey Rush (Lionel Logue). To be honest there were no duffers, Tim Spall as Churchill, Who would have thought it? Spot on.

For action movie devotees, give it a swerve. There was little action, only that inferred between Edward & Wallis and the body count was a paltry one (George Five).

Definitely my favourite film for a good few years.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. I agree. The best film i have seen in quite some time. They should start shining that Oscar for Firth now. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter were also brilliant; i don't recall a weak performance in the whole film.

3. My parents went and saw this yesterday. They said it was that good the whole cinema gave it an ovation at the end.

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have put this in the Reviews section to maybe get a wider audience and to keep it live for longer.

5. V Gd film, and I mean that in the OST sense!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers A_G, I'm still bumbling around with the new site layout.

One thought did occur to me regarding thisfilm was when Bertie exclaimed that he only knew the Navy & that's where he felt comfortable, rather than wishing to be King: I hope to God he wasn't a Gunnery Officer with that stutter. :toothy3:

7. FffffffffireOh Ffffffffuck it

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

G VI was no G but was a S/Lt at Jutland. Also played tennis at Wimbledon. G V got up to Captain (of HMS Crescent) before he had to chuck & do Royal Duties instead.

For me, QE got G VI through the war, and thus the rest of us. Burnt him out of course. Goodness knows what mess we would have been in if Baldwin hadn't got E VIII shifted.

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Is this a swearing forum?

Re The King's Speech; so many positive waves, I'm looking forward to an opportunity to see it.

10. Seaweed, Wasn't Bertie a turret officer aboard HMS Collingwood during the Battle of Jutland?

SP.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Eek, If he was, maybe it's what gave the Dutch the idea to invent goalkeeper.

12. Saw it this PM NZ time an awesome film.
    Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter give excellent performances. The cinema was very dusty in the final scenes.
    Noticed that in the film George VI had a MID Oak Leaf (Spotter!) on one of his WWI ribbons and as Sweetpea metions it was awarded to the then Sub-Lt Prince Albert for actions at the Battle of Jutland. Good effort that man.
    He was also Captain General of the Royal Marines 1936-52.

13. I came across this little snippet at the Naval Review’s archives recently.

In view of the acclaim on the film it strikes a chord and therefore worth sharing: Besides his take on the subject of Leadership, one must now wonder how he delivered it, too:

From a speech at Croydon, delivered circa 1930.
    By then he was 7 years married & 5 years into his speech therapy.

HM King George VI - on Leadership

Speaking as a concerned young Naval officer, in the aftermath of the Invergordon mutiny, some six years before his unexpected and, as then, unanticipated accession to the throne, he said:-

'To my mind he must possess three great qualities:

Personality, Sympathy, and above all Idealism.

I do not think I need speak to you about Personality, of Sympathy I will say just this, its keynote is personal contact and understanding.

The third quality of the leader is Idealism.

Nobody can lead unless he has the gift of vision and the desire in his soul to leave things in the world a little better than he found them. He will strive for something which may appear unattainable, but which he believes in his heart can one day be reached, if not by him, by his successors, if he can help to pave the way.'

Bob

14. Ssssssssoooooooo am Iiiiiiiiiiiii..........Bbbbbbugger !

15. Saw it last night.

Brilliant film, well directed.

When G VI took the throne, he said "I am but a Naval Officer - I know none else" (or words to that effect). Reminded me of Adm Lord West's "I am but a simple sailor"...

16. Watched it Saturday, excellent film with some unexpected funny bits in it.

17. Good film i agree, but a tad cheesy, all built up from the start to the big speech at the end. Still gotta admit i enjoyed it - reckon Geoffrey Rush stole it personally, what happened to his "best supporting actor" nomination???

18. Thoroughly enjoyable flick. It has a seam of humour running through it that cuts through the inevitable tension that is created when listening to a stammerer. A very well thought-out film.

19. Ninja_Stoker