the kings shilling.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by (granny), Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Do todays recruits still collect the 'Kings/Queens' shilling on signing on?
  2. lol Not in actual physical sense no. My palm wasn't crossed with silver in the 90's lol
  3. Mine wasn't crossed in the late 60's never mind 90's!!!!!!

Bloody cheapskates.
  4. Think i got 10 bob, thought it was a fortune then :thumright: a pint of mild was 1shilling??
  5. I'm still owed
  6. If my tankard had a glass base they would not have got me . :thumright:
  7. granny

Did you get given the Queen's shilling?
  8. I thought matelots never got given the Qeen's /King's shilling, 'cos Pusser was too parsimonious, as Jack was taken straight onboard ship, unconscious.
  9. (granny)

No. Actually by 1951 it had increased to Half a Crown. It was brand spanking new and it was King George VI. Quite proud to have served during his reign.
  10. ... but you were still given a bonus to sign on?!!

I thought that stopped with the press gangs!
  11. (granny)

I suppose that it was to make it a binding contract. Just as in the old !! days a reciept for something you bought from a shop was signed across a postage stamp.
  12. I joined in Jan 1956 and certainly recieved, nowt, zilch, zero, Never knew that the Navy ever gave it apart from press gangs.
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Never heard of it in the RN. Thought it was just a Pongo thing.
  14. Don't do that pongo thing!!!

Do you know they still get a tot. 'Gunfire' I believe they call it.

Sods stop ours and the army carries on. (Not daily but more frequent than our splicing the mainbrace).
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My understanding was that it was a historic term, a figure of speech, rather than literally receiving a token of your loyalty to the Crown...
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

For army recruits the recruiting sergeant gave the man a shilling which, once accepted, represented a binding contract. Truth or fable, it is alleged that sometimes the sergeant would go into a boozer and pop a shilling into a man's drink, and he would then be deemed to have accepted it and thus to have joined the army.

The RN made up numbers with the Press but there were also many volunteers in an England where a full belly every night might be a rarity for those at the bottom of the pile. Only those who 'used the sea' were supposed to be taken and generally easily recognised from their dress and gait. Landsmen wer no use anyway. Merchantmen such as Indiamen returning from a two-year round trip might be intercepted in the Channel and the whole crew pressed, and a skeleton crew of men with 'Protections' then put on board to work the ship up to Blackwall or wherever. Pressed men who realised they were really stuck could 'volunteer' at which point they received a bounty and were doubtless then so recorded, whioh would make modern analysis difficult.
  17. I understand the press was normally only needed in wartime when there was both good pay for merchant seamen and a need for many more men for the RN. In peace the steady pay and good food allowances made naval service relatively attractive for seamen, along with security of employement and decent promotion opportunities
  18. (granny)

Help me please some old timers. I don't think they believe me!
  19. Like i said before . Given mine at the old recruiting office at 7 ST Johns Lane Liverpool, 6th Jan 62.
  20. I only got a half-penny ... they obviously short changed me ... and that hasn't been the only time either.