The Kings of Britain

Discussion in 'History' started by Leatherneck, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought that would get your attention.

We yanks (not all of us) got together on the 4th of July 1776 and signed a document declaring independance. I was wondering if any of you could tell me which King we pissed off? ^_^;

My son wanted to know if King Richard was on the throne during Robin Hood's day.

Thanks in advance. :rendeer:

2. I'd guess at All of them!

3. Oh, and it was King Sean of Connery that was mincing about when Robin of Locksley was mugging the toffs ;)

4. Thanks mate. Robin was a clever lad. Considering the road from London and York went straight through the center of Sherwood forest. :thumright:

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Being located in England, Sherwood Forest does not posess a "center" nor is it "colored" green; in the UK we retain the pre-Webster spelling that, sadly, seems to be beyond our former colonials to grasp.

6. It was George III who was around during independence and Richard III (the Lionheart) during Robin Hood's time.

There was a time when I could recite the entire Kings and Queens of England but I now have a life!

7. A look at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/royalty/index.html#list will give you the overall picture (Google is your bestest friend!) and as Lamri suggested, it's a fair bet that all the Georges p**sed the Colonials off. As to which one was annoyed at your chaps, take your pick.

Bear in mind that the Pilgrim Fathers left these shores during the reign of James the 1st.

I do hope that Robin Hood isn't being taught as British history Septicside. If you stop, we will remove Jebediah Springfield from our kids' American (normally 2 lessons) history.

8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think Richard I was known as Lionheart.......

9. What song did they SING the document to?? And anyway its "SANG" :rendeer:

geoff(ers) :nemo:

10. George the Turd. I love the French, otherwise we may still have Hamerica as a colony, or nowadays a Commonwealth member.

11. A few things not known over the pond.

Robin Hood was born in what is now called Wigan. He was known in school for his love of pork/and steak and sidney pies hence the the reason we now call all Wigan people Pie Eaters.

He excelled in school in the three T sports which are very popular in Wigan The Tammer The Turdle and the Three Hundred Metres

He moved to Hathersage in Derbyshire to live with his grannie and grandfather who owned a small blacksmiths shop at a place now called Leadmill Bridge which now makes cutlery but in those days he made swords for the gentry. And arrows for the peasants.

It was here he met and befriended Little John while trying to cross the steppingstones leading to Offerton Hall. Little John worked at Offerton Hall and Bamford Railway Station. The stepping stones leading to both.

Above Offerton Hall we have Robin Hood's Stoop. A Stoop in bygone days was a meatless stew. It was here that Robin Hood sat and eat a Stoop* with Little John after the famous Quarterstaff fight on the stepping stones below hence the name of the area. It is a well known fact Robin Hood was the first famous vegetarian in England. After moving in with his G parents he was converted into the way of the light being a veggie was called in those days.

[*Hence the saying how low can you stoop meaning picking vegetables]

Little John is buried in Hathersage churchyard and his chair can be found in the Scotsman's Pack pub near the church.

A friendly tip for all visitors to England if you need a pub find a church and you will find a pub or find a vicar and you will find a pub.

[​IMG]

12. You are right, I put too many 'I' in my answer, it was Richard I (the Lionheart). Thank you SF for pointing out my inadequacies in front of everyone!

13. I think with Robin Hood based around many myths I do believe the fact Sherwood Forest partly would of been home to him in the fact sherwood forest spread over many miles by at least 200 years ago before the victorians started building many ironworks and coal mines, back of my house has an old part of sherwood forest just some small woods now!! but the tree he was supposed to live in (an oak) I do not think was big enough to have been an home, so thats just pure myth but backerpacker1 you seem pretty clued up there, Ive visited Lil johns grave on that picture.... I live not too far away at all But I would love somebody to put a real frame on who this guy really was, not many official documents though!! just somebody in the limelight who was possibly this guy?!

14. Yes, I admit the spelling is different, and perhaps below your standards. But I'm still learning the authetic version of English at the moment. So bear with me, I'll come round soon enough. :thumright:

15. Thanks for the interestin input here and photos.
    Had a pen-mate a year or so ago from Nottigham who sent me a breif history of Nottigham, and she included the legend of Robin Hood. We as lads growing up (in the 70's) influenced by Hollywood and films of British Legends. Always were filled with excitement and often imitated them.

16. Thank you backpacker1uk! Have printed this off, sorry about any copyright infringements. Very exciting material here!

17. LN, if your want some concurrent history, look north to Canada. In 1763, King George III signed the Royal Proclamation for all lands in British North America thus creating the legal fiction of Crown land, numerous treaties, and wardship over the First Nations.

By 1066, the "Viking" era in the UK had all but come to an end, however in Canada, it was still thriving until the mid 1400. While Robin Hood's legend was being coined in the UK in and around 1157, the Viking sagas were being coined in settlements in Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland.

Lesson to be learned Grasshopper, not all historical events are a direct line between the USA and the UK.

18. Very true and well said. 1066 was the year that the Norms (from Normandie)invaded Hastings. Were they considered Vikings as well?

19. We could do with Robbin' Hood here today, but hoods aren't allowed near Parliament at the moment ;) so there's no chance of robbin' Westminster's denizens to help the poor struggling to cope with having their income tax doubled to help finance the better off. Then again, if they could just get MPs housing allowance and food allowance, it would go a good way to easing the burden! :twisted:

Now on the subject of George III..... he was also known as Farmer George during his lifetime (perhaps he was trying to emulate Emperor Claudius before he was crowned) and also as Mad King George.

20. :afro: Thanks for pointing that out, I had better get myself a dictionary a British dictionary. :thumright: