The Holy Grail of RM fitness books?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Cubeh, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been trying to get hold of the following book:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180172662294&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

The reviews I have read of this book are all incredibly positive. There is a diet guide and multiple courses to achieve high levels of fitness plus other information on conditioning your body before going into the PRMC.

The only problem, is that it's so bloody expensive. Amazon aren't selling it for less than £50, and the last one on ebay sold for £37 (it's not being printed anymore).

What I would like to know, is if there are similar guides around that anyone can recommend. Is it as reliable? Will it tell me exactly what I need? Or is the above book the holy grail and should be sought after at any cost?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Got my optician report today, my eyesight ain't as bad as I thought it was and I'm eligible for joining the RM!

2. Hi Cubeh and welcome to RR, you could try and get hold of a copy from your local Library for a look see, try looking in the health/ fitness section.
    The author of the the Circuit Training book you're after, Robin Eggar, has previously published another one called 'Royal Marines Total Fitness' published by Vermilion in 1993, ISBN 0-09-177699-6. This probably has much the same information exercise and diet wise, but without the emphasis on PRMC.
    When I went in the pre joining fitness regime was printed on an A4 piece of card with stickmen illustrations!! So get the most out of all the information that is out there that you can, it will improve your chances of success no end. Good luck.
    NZB

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fucksake it aint rocket science,

I joined up at 16, eat well, exersise well (normal 16 year old shit) and have a bit of determination.

your not expected to join as superman, they'll teach you that.

4. Well thats your chances of MODship ferked then!! :thumright: :thumright:
    NZB

5. Join a library,and order it.Even if it is not in your county most libraries will get a copy for you to borrow for a couple of ££.

6. Ooer, Interloans the Dark Side of Library Services.
    NZB

7. wet_blobby

NZB your a harsh uncouth animal, (cubeh you aspire to be like him) I'll have you know I have no intentions of being a mod and funnily enough no-one has approached me to be one...what do you reckon I'm doing wrong?

8. I have cost my local library a fortune over the years.It is one way of getting your council tax back as I was told it cost them £75 every time they did it!

9. Blobbs
    A)You haven't left in a humpty and come back.
    B)Given good advice.
    C)Turned on your spell checker.
    Do all 3 and your in with a chance I reckon!! :thumright:
    NZB

10. Have you ever thought that your Council Tax may be so high as the Library Service is trying to recoup some of the funds it has to spend in supplying your Interloan requests, just a thought! :money:
    NZB

11. Don't worry about the book if your getting ready to join, the PTI's are the book, and they will read to you aloud in the form of period zero circuits.

You'll get all the PT education you need!

12. Bruce Lee's 'expressing the human body', albeit not witten by him, but primarilly of his recorded research, workouts and notes.
    Covers diet, nutition, weights, calisthenics, cardio, gym workouts, isometrics, conditioning and much, much more.
    About £12.99 at any good book store.

13. wet_blobby

This subject of peak fitness and diet before you join is getting a bit much, It's called "training" lads and geuss what, SHOCK....HORROR....the fcukers actually train you. I,like NZB had the stick man card, it actually was quite good, it told you what exersises to do. I expect your AFCO will give you something similar today and believe it or not it will be a good bit of kit to use as a reference.

If you want something more why dont you buy a full length mirror,place it standing in a field. Stand infront of it and say, "Round my beautiful body and back GO" and pretend your a PTI.

14. What's wrong with preparing for training? I'd rather go there fully prepared to make it a little easier than possibly drop out due to how hard RM training is.

Why don't you stop being a sarcy bastard and give us some positive encouragement?

15. wet_blobby

OK, I'll stop being sarcy and give positive info.

The train station at Exeter (St Davids) does connecting trains to most major UK citys.