The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by This_Tribe_Rob, Oct 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After 18 months development and vast numbers of samples we present the MkII version of the Kosa 3. Some will have seen the discussion, reviews and development on ARRSE and remember that we pulled the Mk I Kosa from sale - a fairly costly step in getting it exactly right. Well we believe that we have.

The Kosa is the 'little black number' of duvet jackets - a supremely practical jacket that looks good, works well even in damp UK conditions (unlike many down mountain duvets) and is a must for every military deployment or trip to the pub. It's very lightweight, compresses down to a tiny size, feels great on and looks really good.

They jackets are available for advance purchase at discounted price - only £79 icl VAT, for delivery within 2 weeks. Price will then be £89.

kosa_3_jacket_black_front.jpg

We are confident that this is exceptional value for money, and well below comparable spec jackets. The Kosa is a result of long development by experienced soldiers and outdoor wear designers, and you don't need to pay for a brand name to get it.

We've paid a lot of attention to detail and addressed all the issues raised in the first generation Kosa. The sizing is good, with plenty of room for broad shoulders, long arms, bulky base layers and a bit of extra round the middle.

We've added a ripstop element to the lightweight fabric so increase tear resistance. It also improves the look of the jacket.

Zips have all been upgraded - all are matt black YKK, with a vislon (chunky plastic) main zip and part covered coil zips on the pockets, so they don't feel rough when your hands are in and out.

Strong, rubber feel moulded on zip tags replace probably the weakest part of the Mark I.

The DWR coating (durable water repellant) has been improved for longer life.

The jacket fill remains the same Multitherm 10% down, 90% synthetic mix that made the original Kosa feel so good to wear - warm, airy and light. A mainly synthetic fill was chosen so that the jacket is still warm when wet. The down element gives more loft to the fill, and supports the outer fabric well. The lofted appearance is exactly right. Not the over-inflated look of many extreme down jackets, nor the flat pathetic look of fashion duvets.

There is no velcro to catch on your outer layer (particularly the velcro-covered field jacket).

Waist adjustment can be done with one gloved hand thanks to the toggle retainer.

The Kosa has a strong, tape hanging loop.

Finally and most importantly we still have If by Kipling in the back for those moments when you need some inspiration or simply the pleasure of wearing something a little special!

Buy one here!
    IMG_2436.JPG IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG IMG_2388.JPG

2. avatar35600_7.jpg Reviews by ARRSE user Ravers:

So this morning my breakfast was rudely disturbed by the postie who had come with a pressie for me, courtesy of This Tribe.

It was of course the Kosa Mk2, ready for trial and review.

Now if I'm 100% honest, I'm still cutting about in the Mk1 which I like a lot. It's served me well for the past year save for a few issues which were highlighted by most of the people that reviewed it and the guys at This Tribe themselves. The sleeves were way too tight for instance, this caused me to pop the stitching on the armpits on both sides within days of using it. A hasty repair job has been holding it together since then which has held up reasonably well. My other main gripe is the insulation round the neck, there isn't enough of it and the neck has sagged a bit. It appears what little insulation that did exist, has worked it's way round to the front, so I have a baggy bit at the back with no padding. Other people experienced problems with the zips and elastic although I can't say I've had any of these snags.

Other than that though, it's been bang on. Over the winter it saw me well up here in Cumbria, even when we had that really rough snow in March/April. I've (cold) washed it twice after getting cow shit splattered all over it while out on the quad and it hasn't lost any of it's puff. During the summer months it's been invaluable as a warm jacket when climbing the fells and camping. It's lightweight and packability means you'll barely notice it in the bottom of your bag.

With an original projected RRP of 90 quid, it was good, but not good enough, too many little snags let it down. Even in it's original form, the Kosa was a lot better than a lot of £60/£70 jackets out there. Fair play to the lads at This Tribe though, they could've just lowered the price a bit and sold it as is, but instead they've sorted all the problems out and even made a few additional improvements. They have now released the Mk2 which is what arrived on my doorstep this morning.

First impressions? Well same as before really. At first glance it's hard to distinguish from the old one. Everything I liked is still there, the Kipling poem on the inside, it's light weight, the style etc. The logo is slightly more visible due to the background grey being a bit lighter (it's possible my old one is just faded and dirty), the zips have very subtle blue striping on the toggles, which are an attractive touch, likewise the elastic is now blue. There is also a new internal pocket and if you look very carefully, you'll notice that the outer material is completely different and is now ripstop. I'd like to say there is a little more insulation compared to the original, it certainly feels that way, however this may just be because it's new.

On putting it on, I noticed that the arms are much more spacious and slightly longer. This change reflects earlier feedback from users who found the old sleeves too tight. This should stop me popping armpit seams and it's sizing now more accurately reflects UK standard sizing - order a large and that's what you'll get (unlike Snugpak who's definition of large is for Pavarotti sized people). The neck also feels a bit higher now, there is more insulation and it would seem the issue of the insulation working it's way around to the front is now sorted.

My only minor criticism is the fact that it no longer comes with it's own stuff sack. I do use this jacket for hillwalking and I found the stuff sack really useful for packing it down. It also protects the jacket when it's in your rucksack with other gear. I felt much less likely to accidentally put a tent peg through it when it was in it's sack. It's by no means a deal breaker though, you can pick up a stuff sack for pennies, I just liked the fact that the old Kosa came with it's own. Also as I mentioned before when reviewing the old one, the addition of some fleecy material in the pockets and perhaps around the inside of the neck would've really set it apart as a top quality piece of kit. It's fine without, but that would've been the ultimate cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

So what we have now is what the Kosa should've been all along and top marks to This Tribe for persevering and eventually getting it right. I'd now happily pay the £90 asking price.

Of course this review is only my first impressions, I haven't even worn it outside yet. The coming weeks will tell how it really performs, I'm hitting the hills later this week and of course it's going to be out on the farm most days. As with before I'll update you on how it goes.

Many many thanks again to This Tribe for allowing me the opportunity to review it.