Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Golden Fleece Pompey.

RumRat..

Midshipman
Must have been the roughest boozer in the UK. Now pulled down but the images will always remain... Torn up newspaper in the toilets and sawdust on the floor. Dreadful Brickwoods bitter or foul tasting scrumpy and the Crushers waiting outside at closing time. (Big lil, propping up the bar) It made the Mucky Duck look like the Savoy!

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Didn't one of the locals have a facial disformity? I have vague recollections of the place and the silent whispers that undercover SIB often graced the place with their presence looking for Jack doing - well, let's say a bit more than getting rat-arsed.
Whatever happened to pubs of character eh?

Memories are made of this....started out in classier pubs, a la Sussex etc, sterling pubs such as those mentioned above being reserved for that part of the run when you didn't care what you were drinking anymore.....followed perchance with a somewhat dubious curry.....

I can claim that dubious honour..regular stop for the Plover out of Lochinvar, compliments of a three month pier head jump.....

Stirlin

War Hero
Didn't one of the locals have a facial disformity? I have vague recollections of the place and the silent whispers that undercover SIB often graced the place with their presence looking for Jack doing - well, let's say a bit more than getting rat-arsed.
Whatever happened to pubs of character eh?

Cheapest wacky backy , black bombers , yellow perils in Pompey and Southsea

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I seem to recall the Wiltshire Lamb was just as bad, also the Bistro nightclub (a.k.a Beasties) also had the crushers regularly parked up round the corner.

Dusty70

War Hero
Aaaaaaaaahhhh Bistro (see what I did there) one of the lovely ladies gave me some free lodgers I was very popular down the aft stokers mess (as an SA) on the Exmouth

fishhead

War Hero
I think most of us went in the Fleece just so we could spin the dit about who was in there. I never knew a matelot who called it his local. Big Silve and Gilda were usually lurking in my day but I was never tempted(i.e. never that pissed).

I think most of us went in the Fleece just so we could spin the dit about who was in there. I never knew a matelot who called it his local. Big Silve and Gilda were usually lurking in my day but I was never tempted(i.e. never that pissed).
So, like me, you were never the recipient of the coveted VD Scar and Bar...:) :)

Gilda hung out at the Balmoral I think and big Silve in the Fleece.
We bow in admiration at your intimate knowledge, even remembering so accurately over so many years....:) :)......not to mention, runs ashore.
As an aside, after 24 on, afternoon, first and morning Shore side donkey boiler, first pub outside the dockyard gate was first stop. Memory banks faltering...The Standard? Royal Standard?

RumRat..

Midshipman
We bow in admiration at your intimate knowledge, even remembering so accurately over so many years....:) :)......not to mention, runs ashore.
As an aside, after 24 on, afternoon, first and morning Shore side donkey boiler, first pub outside the dockyard gate was first stop. Memory banks faltering...The Standard? Royal Standard?
Royal Standard, and according to trip advisor, it's still there. A bastian of fine dining if I remember correctly. Pickled eggs and crisps. (even that was better than pussers scan. Reckon that's why we had the tot. . . to dull the taste of the food.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Steve Waterhouse Plymouth SCC. T.S.Golden Hind. 270 SCC and URNU 1
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
MoD_RSS News story: Direct Rail Services lifts 6th Golden Whistle Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘A golden era’ heralded for North East as North of Tyne devolution deal becomes law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Strengthening prisoners’ family ties: the ‘golden thread’ to reducing reoffending MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Deal Offers Navy Sailors Golden Opportunity" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Anon78 golden handshake conditions Joining the Royal Navy 7
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
Merlin28 Golden handshake Submariners 9
K Submariner 'Golden Hello' Submariners 3
scouse Cdr Doc Golden and Winching The Fleet Air Arm 17
G Golden Hello Submariners 4
S Golden hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
golden_rivet Golden Rivet would like it to be known ... Diamond Lil's 23
T "Corrupt" MPs may lose golden handshakes Current Affairs 3
wet_blobby Golden chance for home nations? Sports and Adventure Training 2
T Golden Rivet.... where can I find? Nearest & Dearest 15
M Seniority, Ranks and the Golden Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 73
W Golden Hello answer Submariners 1
G Is this free degree the golden ticket? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 11
oberon ‘Golden hello’ bid to boost Navy recruiting Submariners 2
finknottle Have the wheels come off Boris's golden coach? Current Affairs 5
janner They've caught up with Golden Rivet The Gash Barge 2
sgtpepperband Free Film Offer - Elizabeth: The Golden Age Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Good_CO Tales of the Golden Monkey Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 13
M A golden rivet Diamond Lil's 16
RNFLUNKY Prince William Golden Jubilee Gong! The Quarterdeck 46
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) submarine golden hello Current Affairs 4
D Golden Rivet Diamond Lil's 10
Darb Golden Hellos Diamond Lil's 9
Scud Golden Rivet Diamond Lil's 22
S Engineering golden hello The Fleet 9
W Golden Eagle, Weymouth Diamond Lil's 47
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Pubs of Portsmiff (‘Fleece etc etc) The Gash Barge 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Pompey played up at Wembley & won the Cup... Sports and Adventure Training 2
Stirlin Pompey D - Day plans. History 5
Logisticogs Phase 2 - Chef training, Raleigh or Pompey? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Hooly whats the best married quarter area in Pompey/Fareham /Gosport Nearest & Dearest 21
E All the fours--Pompey-- The Quarterdeck 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
janner Parking near Pompey Dockyard The Quarterdeck 9
S Storage in Pompey? Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Sydney Morning Herald: "On Dock Of Pompey" The Gash Barge 0
soleil Pompey News: "We’re On A Roll! Bands Of Royal Marines Hope To Clinch New Record" The Corps 1
soleil Pompey News: "Prince William To Visit Gosport’s Newly-restored HMS Alliance" Submariners 4
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Drills Help England Women’s Rugby Squad" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Pompey News: "Weary Portsmouth Sailors Found Peace And Tombola In China Fleet Club" Bases / Shore Est 9
soleil Pompey News: "Portsmouth Soldiers Will Join Final Deployment To Afghanistan" Current Affairs 0
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Aviators Reach Career Milestones On Same Day" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "New Captain Speaks Of Pride After Taking The Helm Of HMS Warrior" Bases / Shore Est 0