The General's Report

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Bergen, Jun 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. silverfox

    silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

    With all this happening at one end of the scale, and Bremer weaving his magic at the other - its not really surprising that things didn't get of to a good start vis a vis the reconstruction.....
  2. The article begs the question, "Who are the enemies of Western Liberal Democracy?".

    Perhaps a few more people in the good old USA may now realize why they, as a Nation, are disliked and mistrusted in Europe but I doubt it.

  3. the original acts were criminal - of that there is no doubt. The treatment of the general following his report is utterly shameful. Theres an old expression "never ask a question that you don't want to know the answer to". They set him the task and he acted on it in an honest and professional manner and look where it got him.


  4. Yes they were criminal but very well covered up to protect the US chain of command. Even the lower ranks fared relatively well; one example was Sergeant Santos Cardona, found guilty of Dereliction of Duty and Aggravated Assault - he received 90 days and on his release from military prison was immediately promoted and sent to join the 23rd Military Police Company training Iraqi police. Go figure.

    Lest we forget:-

    General Janet Karpinski who was in charge of Abu Ghraib estimated that 90% of the prisoners were innocent of any crimes and the remaining 10% were mainly petty criminals. Despite this, prisoners were sodomised by their US guards, including anal rape with batons. A young Iraqi woman prisoner was raped. Prisoners were smeared with feces. Prisoners were harassed by dogs. Prisoners were murdered and yet US Army doctors routinely issued death certificates stating "Died during sleep' and "Died of natural causes". The 16 year old son of an Iraqi general was brought to Abu Ghraib and tortured in front of his father as a means of encouraging his father to talk.

    There are thousands of additional photographs of the abuse that were never released but were shown to Congress. They were generally considered to be far more horrific than the ones shown to the public.

    Something that has puzzled me from day one was not that the USA, as a signatory to the 3rd and 4th Geneva Conventions, and a country that has ratified the UN Convention Against Torture allowed this to happen [indeed encouraged it at the highest levels] but the real surprise was the involvement of American women in the torture, sexual humiliation and abuse of prisoners at every level. It drew parallels with the female SS guards in the Nazi Concentration Camps. We all saw the female guards at Abu Ghraib but the real culprits such as General Barbara Fast were allowed to slip away scot-free.

    The US lost any hope of controlling Iraq by it's behaviour towards the Iraqi civilian population and the real pity is that the United Kingdom did not see the writing on the wall 4 years ago.


Share This Page