The Gambia to Leave The Commonwealth.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Passed-over_Loggie, Oct 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As Gambia leaves Commonwealth, its people live under a cult of witchcraft and execution - Telegraph

Well, that might be one less poo pile to concern ourselves with. I went on holiday there with some pals in '93. The Gambians were still twitchy from an earlier attempted coup. There were many signs of increasing Muslim influence but little evidence of Voodoo. Keeping well off the tourist tracks and getting to know villagers in the middle of bum f**k nowhere, I would have thought we might have noticed it. Anyway, let's hope that it reduces further the amount of our Taxpayers' money that funnels to the bank accounts of the local head sheds.

I wonder how much the rundown of the US manned space programme affected their annual income. The US owned satellite Comms facilities were extensive and NASA pretty well funded the "airport" as a Shuttle emergency landing ground.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

We didn't pay the rulers enough .. thank goodness.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Last time I was in the Gambia I went on a "Safari" from Banjul.

We drove for miles, directly to a tree in a clearing. A mangy lion was chained to a tree. On the tree was a little sign: "A present from Longleat".

Kinda summed it up.

4. Poor bugger would have been better off in the wind and rain of Longleat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Does that mean the foreign aid now stops?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Its a jungle out there !

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think we can deplore the regime without abandoning its' people. Whilst Gambia was in the Commonwealth we could be a reforming influence. Now the poor buggers are on their own

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reforming influence? Sadly, this is impossible with some "third world" regimes.

9. It's always a tough call, do you engage with such regimes and try to influence them or ostracize them and force them into isolationism?

10. That's a fair point. The standard Commonwealth response is suspension, threat of expiulsion or expulsion. In this case, the Gambia has "expelled" itself. There again, some regimes are indeed completely resistant to reforming influence; Zim springs to mind. The only measures Bobby Mugabe would be reformed by could measured in milimetres: 5.56 or 9.

11. By all means try to engage with them but historically these folk seem to go their own way regardless of our (helpful?) interest.

12. Yeah. They go their own way with most of the money we send as aid. Did anyone see Dan Snows thing on the Congo. All right the Portuguese and Belgians did a marvellous job of stuffing the place up but after independence they managed to finish the job themselves while syphoning off enormous amounts of money.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. That's what happens when you try to transform a Tribe into a Nation.

14. We were a tribe once, many in fact. Uganda seems to be going the same way and India may boycott the Commonwealth summit over alleged Sri Lankan war crimes

15. **** 'em. Bored of paying out to retard states.

Oh, bite me I'm a son of Hitler allegedly!

• Like Like x 1