Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The future of Gibraltar

Back home after a whirlwind trip to the rock :)

Stayed in the Britannia House apartments, clean and tidy however showing their age now. The new place looks fantastic.

Didn't get up the rock, it was too windy at the top and the cable cars were closed down, I obviously could have run up but Mrs JFH and the juniors were not having any of that :(

Picked up a couple of bottles of Pussers Gunpowder in the Airport (£12:80 each).

I'll stick a few pics on later :)

Well, well, well! 'They' kept this pretty quiet, didn't they? Dasher and Pursuer arriving at Gib.

Now then, I wonder if they also considered my suggestion that PSOFs should be recruited for 2 or 4 week periods to crew them!!

No doubt the Spanish PM will be on his hind legs later today protesting about British aggression......

1592809207581.png

Well, well, well! 'They' kept this pretty quiet, didn't they? Dasher and Pursuer arriving at Gib.

Now then, I wonder if they also considered my suggestion that PSOFs should be recruited for 2 or 4 week periods to crew them!!

No doubt the Spanish PM will be on his hind legs later today protesting about British aggression......

View attachment 53283
Cant see the problem, obviously lining up for the RN Med water skiing championships, needed a couple of speed boats to tow skiers.

From Navy News

TWO Royal Navy P2000 vessels have arrived in Gibraltar.
HMS Dasher and Pursuer, which arrived from the UK aboard MV Hurst Point, will temporarily replace HMS Scimitar and Sabre.
Over the next few weeks the crews from both classes of vessel will work alongside each other as personnel from the Royal Navy Gibraltar Squadron learn how to operate the Archer-class ships.
The project to permanently replace Scimitar and Sabre, which have operated from the Rock since 2003, is well underway.
RNGS Commanding Officer, Lt Cdr Walkley, a former Commanding Officer of HMS Scimitar said: “The Scimitar-class craft have provided a superb service to Gibraltar and to the Royal Navy over the past 17 years, and I have absolutely no doubt that Dasher and Pursuer will provide the same.”
Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and water
Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

Hello Guys , Dont want to steal your thunder as Im an ex pongo , but I was out in Gib in 74 and absolutely loved the place as it left me with so many good time memories of all the bars on Main Street and some of the really old back street bars (The Corjhito Bar in particular) that was owned by a guy called Pablo and was like something out of a spaghetti western film with its bar fights and characters ! And not forgetting the Hole in the Wall owned by a well known Gay chap (cant remember his name , but Im sure many of you old salts can ) . Anyway had a fantastic time there and even won on a lottery number , the prize being a shitload of booze of all kinds , I gave away the dark rum to the matelots as it didnt agree with me .
I always pay a visit back to Gib when Im holidaying in Fuengirola and it never ceases to mesmerise me but as Sonar-bender says there have been many changes , not least the bar scene . It always amuses me when I see in the media that Spain is rattling their sabres again over the British control of the Rock , I do get it up to a point but for christs sake as buffersduffer said they have enough problems trying to control Catalonian independence rights and that doesnt include the ongoing problem with Basque sepratists in the North . What about the tens of thousands of Brit holiday makers who help keep Spains head above water ? I do think they need to wind their necks in slightly when it comes to Gib . Dont know if Ive got this right but Im sure I was told a while back that Gibraltarians actually qualify for both British and Spanish pensions ???
Anyway just thought I would share this with you all .
Cheers

Thats the guy WreckerL , Charles . Last time I heard about him , he is some bigshot in the Gay community in Gib , but obviously an old character .
Thanks

Latest Threads