Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The future of Gibraltar

No - just a laser pen - 'in case air raid warning rojo' is called!

If you've not been there for a while you might notice one or two changes..........

Last time 1992 360 Squadron Detachment, before that 88 (Outback) and 86 (RFA Engadine)

As long as the Beer is cheap and the wife is happy to shop with the Kids I'll be ok :)

We are booked into Britannia House for a few nights.

Last edited:
Was there October 2018...one day...before that was '73'...as above, bottle of duty free Pussers rum and shopping for the wife. Lots of changes, high rise buildings etc...but found some old runs ashore. Happy days.

Woods has gone up recently - it's now £5 a (litre) bottle. For cheap drinks stay off Main St - City Arms, Donkey's Flip Flop and Grumpy Monk all charging silly prices.

For Mrs JFH there is a M&S and Debenhams. Morrissons for food. Enjoy!

Woods has gone up recently - it's now £5 a (litre) bottle. For cheap drinks stay off Main St - City Arms, Donkey's Flip Flop and Grumpy Monk all charging silly prices.

For Mrs JFH there is a M&S and Debenhams. Morrissons for food. Enjoy!

Nice one cheers SB. As we are taking cabin bags we will have to buy duty free in the Airport, only there for two and a half days, drinking a litre of Woods in that time would probably put a dampener on the sightseeing :)

JFH Elder (17) is looking at getting some IPhone earpods? I presume that's those white things that hang out of the ears of todays yoof.

I live in Cambridgeshire, used to silly beer prices, most of the pubs think as we are less that an hour from London we must be a suburb :(

Last edited:
JFH Elder (17) is looking at getting some IPhone earpods? I presume that's those white things that hang out of the ears of todays yoof.
DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST PRICE on Main Street! Or the second! Find out how much they are on Amazon (or whatever) in the UK, then use that as a basis before parting with any dosh. Aim to get about 30% off the first price. Tell them you ARE NOT off the cruise ship (there WILL be a cruise ship or two in)......... or indeed a tourist! Tell them you live in Spain or something! There are bargains, but you do have to haggle with them. I recently got a very good price off a Hamilton watch, but it took a while!

If you go into La Linea I'd suggest you take nothing valuable - it can be quite dodgy. Leave the air-crew Brietling (good prices on them in Gib!) back in the hotel.

DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST PRICE on Main Street! Or the second! Find out how much they are on Amazon (or whatever) in the UK, then use that as a basis before parting with any dosh. Aim to get about 30% off the first price. Tell them you ARE NOT off the cruise ship (there WILL be a cruise ship or two in)......... or indeed a tourist! Tell them you live in Spain or something! There are bargains, but you do have to haggle with them. I recently got a very good price off a Hamilton watch, but it took a while!

If you go into La Linea I'd suggest you take nothing valuable - it can be quite dodgy. Leave the air-crew Brietling (good prices on them in Gib!) back in the hotel.
Used to love haggling in Gib, sort of set me up to always ask for discount where appropriate, when you know there will be a sizeable mark up.

I had a look and there isn't any cruise ships due in whilst we are there. Mrs JFH is a good haggler, I wouldn't do a deal with her :)

I'm not planning to cross into Spain, we get there Friday afternoon and Leave Sunday Lunchtime so not really got a lot of time.

I had a look and there isn't any cruise ships due in whilst we are there. Mrs JFH is a good haggler, I wouldn't do a deal with her :)

I'm not planning to cross into Spain, we get there Friday afternoon and Leave Sunday Lunchtime so not really got a lot of time.
tell them your ex matelot, so don't give me the tourist prices, don't tell them ex WAFU or they will associate you to a Crab and hike the prices ;)

tell them your ex matelot, so don't give me the tourist prices, don't tell them ex WAFU or they will associate you to a Crab and hike the prices ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if the crabs haven't got a sneaky Duty Free shop on their side of the airport!!!

We used to have a bonded store (garage) on 360 Squadron, we could take 2 crates and 1 ltr of Spirits on a Norway Det. The Crab police used to fill it, load it onto the Herc and issue it when we got over there.

We had a 'Plymouth Association' reunion in Gib 2011. What a cracking weekend (daily orders attached - usual old fart material).

What little memory I have of that weekend are:

England Vs Scotland Rugby match - the pub was heaving
Buying a cheap pair of genuine Ray Bans that I got fitted with prescription lenses back home
The cost of the drinks in the wardroom 'Rooke', I was in a round where 5 x large G&Ts were costing us something in the order of £3. We couldn't believe our luck - not sure our livers were that happy..!

Enjoy your long weekend JFH

Attachments

• Daily Orders.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 28

The SS DONOTRESUSCITATE was there when I flew in. 5,000 varicose veined, baggy shorts wearing Elmers, all called Marge or Joe let loose on Main Street simultaneously. They could've all played extras in the movie World War Z, bless 'em.

IMG_20190920_123136-2080x1560.jpg

Latest Threads