The future of Gibraltar

Woods has gone up recently - it's now £5 a (litre) bottle. For cheap drinks stay off Main St - City Arms, Donkey's Flip Flop and Grumpy Monk all charging silly prices.

For Mrs JFH there is a M&S and Debenhams. Morrissons for food. Enjoy!
Nice one cheers SB. As we are taking cabin bags we will have to buy duty free in the Airport, only there for two and a half days, drinking a litre of Woods in that time would probably put a dampener on the sightseeing :)

JFH Elder (17) is looking at getting some IPhone earpods? I presume that's those white things that hang out of the ears of todays yoof.

I live in Cambridgeshire, used to silly beer prices, most of the pubs think as we are less that an hour from London we must be a suburb :(

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
JFH Elder (17) is looking at getting some IPhone earpods? I presume that's those white things that hang out of the ears of todays yoof.
DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST PRICE on Main Street! Or the second! Find out how much they are on Amazon (or whatever) in the UK, then use that as a basis before parting with any dosh. Aim to get about 30% off the first price. Tell them you ARE NOT off the cruise ship (there WILL be a cruise ship or two in)......... or indeed a tourist! Tell them you live in Spain or something! There are bargains, but you do have to haggle with them. I recently got a very good price off a Hamilton watch, but it took a while!

If you go into La Linea I'd suggest you take nothing valuable - it can be quite dodgy. Leave the air-crew Brietling (good prices on them in Gib!) back in the hotel.

Sumo

War Hero
DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST PRICE on Main Street! Or the second! Find out how much they are on Amazon (or whatever) in the UK, then use that as a basis before parting with any dosh. Aim to get about 30% off the first price. Tell them you ARE NOT off the cruise ship (there WILL be a cruise ship or two in)......... or indeed a tourist! Tell them you live in Spain or something! There are bargains, but you do have to haggle with them. I recently got a very good price off a Hamilton watch, but it took a while!

If you go into La Linea I'd suggest you take nothing valuable - it can be quite dodgy. Leave the air-crew Brietling (good prices on them in Gib!) back in the hotel.
Used to love haggling in Gib, sort of set me up to always ask for discount where appropriate, when you know there will be a sizeable mark up.

I had a look and there isn't any cruise ships due in whilst we are there. Mrs JFH is a good haggler, I wouldn't do a deal with her :)

I'm not planning to cross into Spain, we get there Friday afternoon and Leave Sunday Lunchtime so not really got a lot of time.

Sumo

War Hero
I had a look and there isn't any cruise ships due in whilst we are there. Mrs JFH is a good haggler, I wouldn't do a deal with her :)

I'm not planning to cross into Spain, we get there Friday afternoon and Leave Sunday Lunchtime so not really got a lot of time.
tell them your ex matelot, so don't give me the tourist prices, don't tell them ex WAFU or they will associate you to a Crab and hike the prices ;)

Taztiff

War Hero
tell them your ex matelot, so don't give me the tourist prices, don't tell them ex WAFU or they will associate you to a Crab and hike the prices ;)
Also have a wash so they don't think you are a smelly money grabbing submariner.

It wouldn't surprise me if the crabs haven't got a sneaky Duty Free shop on their side of the airport!!!

We used to have a bonded store (garage) on 360 Squadron, we could take 2 crates and 1 ltr of Spirits on a Norway Det. The Crab police used to fill it, load it onto the Herc and issue it when we got over there.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
We had a 'Plymouth Association' reunion in Gib 2011. What a cracking weekend (daily orders attached - usual old fart material).

What little memory I have of that weekend are:

England Vs Scotland Rugby match - the pub was heaving
Buying a cheap pair of genuine Ray Bans that I got fitted with prescription lenses back home
The cost of the drinks in the wardroom 'Rooke', I was in a round where 5 x large G&Ts were costing us something in the order of £3. We couldn't believe our luck - not sure our livers were that happy..!

Enjoy your long weekend JFH

Attachments

BillyNoMates

War Hero

The SS DONOTRESUSCITATE was there when I flew in. 5,000 varicose veined, baggy shorts wearing Elmers, all called Marge or Joe let loose on Main Street simultaneously. They could've all played extras in the movie World War Z, bless 'em.

IMG_20190920_123136-2080x1560.jpg

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
It wouldn't surprise me if the crabs haven't got a sneaky Duty Free shop on their side of the airport!!!

We used to have a bonded store (garage) on 360 Squadron, we could take 2 crates and 1 ltr of Spirits on a Norway Det. The Crab police used to fill it, load it onto the Herc and issue it when we got over there.
Oh are YOU in for a surprise when you see the airport...........!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Buccaneers was down the hill from the piazza IIRC, I think it had a suit of armour at the entrance.

Sumo

War Hero
It looks like it although it wasn't decorated like that when I last was there.
I wasn't sure what any of the watering holes looked like, I think about visit 17 I decided to stay sober and walk around to find places, I have no idea how I ever found those place, when socially confused?

didn't repeat the sober thingy on my last few trips ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Gibraltar Discuss Future and Conclude Agreement on Gambling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future of flights at RAF Gibraltar secured following £8 million runway resurfacing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary announces new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important work in tackling future risks restarts at Sellafield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving Venezuela toward a democratic future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Pioneers Future Submarine Command Space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Securing a peaceful future for Israelis and Palestinians MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Future Fund launches today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Negotiations on the UK’s future trading relationship with the US: Update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for ‘long term’ approach to prepare for future pandemics at World Bank meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building flood defences fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Future of Our Cities: Dstl publishes new report on the future of urban living MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million to support transition to future farming system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Preserving our water resources in a changing climate – industry and government tackle threat to future water supplies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robert Jenrick plans for the future to get Britain building MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary outlines future of EU relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million government investment in the future of UK science MoD News 0
MoD_RSS "There is space for hope and for a brighter future for the Iraqi people" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister launches competition to deliver homes fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern franchise enters new future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces details of new review to protect the future of radio MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our future relationship with the EU: Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster's statement to Parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans for future greener farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defusing the 'Weather Bomb': The Future of Flood Defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eustice unveils plans for future greener farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK launches an improved website and looks to the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prosperity Fund’s Future Cities Programme launches in South Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Profitable and sustainable future for UK fishing industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New National Plan to shape the future of music education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK is taking forward future trade and investment relationship with Japan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The future for environmental standards in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain’s first all-electric bus town to pave the way for green communities of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vice Chief of the Defence Staff signs future force development charter to reaffirm UK/US defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nicky Morgan's speech on the future of media and broadcasting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Future Relationship between the UK and the EU MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Environment Bill sets out vision for a greener future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going East: Midlands healthcare firms head for a global future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third generation mariner to turbocharge the future of maritime’s brightest talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New data to help students see future earnings boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister hails UK-Morocco future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protecting the future of ash trees on Salisbury Plain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alok Sharma heralds green cities of the future on Kenya visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A vision for future farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK is helping to pick a ripe future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academic research group builds skills for future of decommissioning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Orange peel, rubbish and fatbergs: the fuels behind the future of green transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to consult on future analogue radio licences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A brighter future for Wales outside the EU MoD News 0