Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The future of Gibraltar

The Fleet's in...!

The Battle of Toulon or Battle of Cape Sicié took place on 22–23 February 1744 in the Mediterranean off the French coast near Toulon. A combined Franco-Spanish fleet engaged Britain's Mediterranean Fleet. The French fleet, not officially at war with Great Britain, only joined the fighting late, when it was clear that the greatly outnumbered Spanish fleet had gained tactical control of the battlefield. With the French intervention, the British fleet was forced to withdraw.[

In Britain the battle was regarded as the most mortifying defeat; the Franco-Spanish fleet successfully ended the British blockade] and inflicted considerably more damage to the British than they received, causing the British to withdraw to Menorca in need of extensive repairs to the fleet. The retreat of Admiral Mathews' fleet left the Mediterranean Sea temporarily under Spanish control, allowing the Spanish navy to deliver troops and supplies to the Spanish army in Italy. This decisively swung the war there in their favour.

Thomas Mathews was tried by court-martial in 1746 on charges of having brought the fleet into action in a disorganised manner, of having fled the enemy, and of having failed to bring the enemy to action when the conditions were advantageous. He was one of seven ship captains dismissed from service.

Perhaps we shouldn't be there in any case. The Spanish might well be right.

In this case, Gibraltar's past. I would think most of you are unaware of this 'cave', though I think there may have been a documentary, or YouTube about it.

Next time you're on Gib, try a tunnel tour! You'll not see this one, but the ones you do see are amazing!

I saw a documentary about this but I can't remember exactly where.

It may have been part of 'Yesterday' channel's 'World War Weird' series.

That's nowt.
Many matelots cannot remember what they did in Gib and how they returned to their ship
How true is that - or the ride back onboard in the pinnace nearly first and middle changeover time with the OOW at the top of the gangway shouting 'quiet in the boat', followed by 'round agaaain cox'n' only to have to be towed alongside after running out of deisel.:D

The amazing thing is that the old boys had been sworn to secrecy and any survivors are just opening up (pun intended!). I think it was maybe Dr Bethany (cor!) who did a piece on it while she was visiting Gorham's Cave to view old matelots, aka Neanderthals!

@Salty-Dog , Challenge accepted and thank you for referencing me. The documentary was called Operation Tracer - Stay Behind Cave (1997) and can be viewed at the link below. It shows how the Gibraltar Caving Group discovered the cave which many others had tried to find before. In the event of Gibraltar being captured by German forces, six men would have been sealed into a secret chamber in which they would have been expected to survive and observe the activities of the Germans for a period of one year or more. Rumours about a secret chamber in Gibraltar had persisted since the war and many people devoted considerable amounts of their time to exploring Gibraltar's existing tunnels, caves and sheer cliffs in the hope of finding it. I hope this helps you guys out.

KirkCrazy

Password: Navy

Last edited:
The amazing thing is that the old boys had been sworn to secrecy and any survivors are just opening up (pun intended!). I think it was maybe Dr Bethany (cor!) who did a piece on it while she was visiting Gorham's Cave to view old matelots, aka Neanderthals!

Fine pair of quals she has too!!!

Latest Threads