The future of Gibraltar

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I have posted this next door, but on reflection, since a lot of us have an association with Gib, I thought I'd share here. Remember we are in CA!

As anticipated, The new Spanish government, a hodge-podge tri-partite coalition led by Sanchez, has moved swiftly to include Gibraltar in EU discussions. For years they have been illegally entering the territorial waters off Gib on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. The will also shut down the border on a whim at a moment's notice to carry out 'searches' - which is of course their prerogative. However now they have also started to illegally over-fly Gibraltar air-space, which is somewhat more potentially dangerous.

Many of the ARRSE collective will never have visited or served on the Rock. As 'the guardian' of the entrance to the Med it is still of huge strategic importance to NATO. I'll not go into specifics! The Spanish government gets very upset with British warships and nuclear submarines entering Gib. However, in another bout of double standards they have long had a USN base in Rota and have recently been refuelling Russian warships!

What really annoys me is that so few people are aware of the hypocrisy of the Spanish regarding their enclaves in mainland Morocco - Mellia, Cueta and a military outpost on the The Parsley Islands (Las Islas Perejil). When talking to any Spaniard (who actually cares about Gibraltar - most don't), the response is that these enclaves are 'totally different' to the Gibraltar situation.

Reading the comments in some of the red tops, it is quite straightforward - we just go in there, nuke the Spanish after throwing those living and working in Britain out of the UK and then everyone cancelling holidays there. Not too realistic!

The Rock was lost by the Spanish over 300 years ago. The Gibraltarians do not want to be Spanish or subservient to them.

What is the way ahead?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I then had a G&T and thought of this!

Actually, and I have to admit after a couple of pre pranadial G&Ts, I’ve just had a STONKING idea!

1. The RN has just finished the lease of at least one general purpose River Class patrol boat (HMS Tyne springs to mind). So far as I’m aware, this is now sitting idle.
  2. The Forces have been asking silly old farts experienced personnel to rejoin up to age 56/7.
  3. The average Brit loves a bit of sun and a foreign jolly (cheap booze etc!).

My plan is therefore this:
Send at least one of these boats to Gib, where it would park up but be ready to go and see off the regular Spanish incursions at a moment’s notice. The Skipper could be a keen young (Regular) thruster who is on a fast track programme.

Ashore would be 2 crews (24 on / 24 off) of silly old farts steely eyed, albeit older and therefore experienced warriors, possibly with their families shore-side in MQs, or at least significant other, on deployment for a month (say) at a time.

Although this is a facetious and simple idea, it could, just possibly, have wings…..

Agreed, but far to sensible for politicians to grasp.....that and they real don't have the will to do much of anyhing regarding Gib, the Falklands, for all their sabre rattling and bluster....when circumstances dictate.....

buffersduffer

Badgeman
Keep Gib at all costs, not just because I love the place but because the good folk of Gib voted to stay as they are

I don’t wish ill of the Catalans but hopefully the Spanish will have more to deal with at the top of their country than our rock at the bottom of it

fishhead

War Hero
I think the Spanish politicians like to think making a fuss over Gib. is a vote winner. They don't see that Spain squatting on other country's territories is in any way comparable to the UK being in Gib.
I think it winds them up that the UK roundly ignores them throwing a hissy fit every now and again. They'd love to provoke a response which enable them to go crying to the EU or even the United Nations. I don't think trying to copy their stupidity is a way forward.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The UK could always support Morocco in the UN with regards the enclaves now we're not in the EU. Couldn't do us any harm as a threat in the upcoming negotiations.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
From a guy in Gib:

Apologies for bombarding with posts but a Spanish Air Force CN295 (callsign BARBO61) has just overflown RAF Gibraltar and the Bay. This adds to the incursion in the Bay of Gibraltar on our side by SPS Furor this morning. We are now very concerned here. Any awareness or assistance is welcome. Thanks
Image may contain: bird and sky

No - just a laser pen - 'in case air raid warning rojo' is called!

If you've not been there for a while you might notice one or two changes..........
Last time 1992 360 Squadron Detachment, before that 88 (Outback) and 86 (RFA Engadine)

As long as the Beer is cheap and the wife is happy to shop with the Kids I'll be ok :)

We are booked into Britannia House for a few nights.

Last edited:
Was there October 2018...one day...before that was '73'...as above, bottle of duty free Pussers rum and shopping for the wife. Lots of changes, high rise buildings etc...but found some old runs ashore. Happy days.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Woods has gone up recently - it's now £5 a (litre) bottle. For cheap drinks stay off Main St - City Arms, Donkey's Flip Flop and Grumpy Monk all charging silly prices.

For Mrs JFH there is a M&S and Debenhams. Morrissons for food. Enjoy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Gibraltar Discuss Future and Conclude Agreement on Gambling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future of flights at RAF Gibraltar secured following £8 million runway resurfacing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary announces new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important work in tackling future risks restarts at Sellafield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving Venezuela toward a democratic future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Pioneers Future Submarine Command Space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Securing a peaceful future for Israelis and Palestinians MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Future Fund launches today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Negotiations on the UK’s future trading relationship with the US: Update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for ‘long term’ approach to prepare for future pandemics at World Bank meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building flood defences fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Future of Our Cities: Dstl publishes new report on the future of urban living MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million to support transition to future farming system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Preserving our water resources in a changing climate – industry and government tackle threat to future water supplies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robert Jenrick plans for the future to get Britain building MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary outlines future of EU relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million government investment in the future of UK science MoD News 0
MoD_RSS "There is space for hope and for a brighter future for the Iraqi people" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister launches competition to deliver homes fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern franchise enters new future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces details of new review to protect the future of radio MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our future relationship with the EU: Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster's statement to Parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans for future greener farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defusing the 'Weather Bomb': The Future of Flood Defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eustice unveils plans for future greener farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK launches an improved website and looks to the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prosperity Fund’s Future Cities Programme launches in South Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Profitable and sustainable future for UK fishing industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New National Plan to shape the future of music education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK is taking forward future trade and investment relationship with Japan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The future for environmental standards in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain’s first all-electric bus town to pave the way for green communities of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vice Chief of the Defence Staff signs future force development charter to reaffirm UK/US defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nicky Morgan's speech on the future of media and broadcasting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Future Relationship between the UK and the EU MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Environment Bill sets out vision for a greener future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going East: Midlands healthcare firms head for a global future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third generation mariner to turbocharge the future of maritime’s brightest talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New data to help students see future earnings boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister hails UK-Morocco future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protecting the future of ash trees on Salisbury Plain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alok Sharma heralds green cities of the future on Kenya visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A vision for future farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK is helping to pick a ripe future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academic research group builds skills for future of decommissioning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Orange peel, rubbish and fatbergs: the fuels behind the future of green transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to consult on future analogue radio licences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A brighter future for Wales outside the EU MoD News 0