The Forces Pension Society - Protecting Your Interests

Having served 12 years from 1960 to 1971 I was awarded exactly nothing when I was discharged, perhaps the establishment trick was to take recruits at 15 years old and then say that I (in fact my parents!) had signed on for 9 years, starting from the age of 18? So what shall we call the 3 years before the age of 15? Slavery? Servitude? Captivity? Because if I wasn't officially serving the queen, just what was I being forced to do?

I don't feel your pain because I started my service two days before my eighteenth birthday but I must say I agree with you. I think you should at least be accredited for nine of those years.
I think, but I don't know for sure, that no pension scheme will accept members under the age of eighteen. In the case of the Workplace Pension Scheme the lower age is twenty two years.

By the way, did you know that the SSA1973 was enacted to satisfy the conditions of our entry to the Common Market? I suspect that if we hadn't joined, the pension regulations pre 1975 would have remained, they might even have worsened.

Last edited:
I find the following interesting, it's from a government information leaflet.

"Following the introduction of preserved pensions in 1975, those individuals who served after 31 March 1975 and who left the Armed Forces with a preserved pension award could have their pension transferred to another public sector scheme. "
On discharge, I was told specifically that I could not transfer my preserved pension to any other pension scheme.
I don't know whether or not being denied transferring my pension to the public sector scheme I subsequently joined on discharge has disadvantaged me financially.

Last edited:
Yet again there is a petition aimed at Parliament about Armed Forces pensions...

The post Petition to Parliament appeared first on Forces Pension Society.

I'm appalled that there is such ignorance about the taxable status of non armed forces public service pensions. Petitions such as the one reported here, based on a misapprehension of fact, paint armed services pensioners in a very poor light and does those who negotiate well founded pension issues on our behalf no favours at all.

I believe that it is incumbent upon anyone attempting to draw comparisons between the pension arrangements of the various areas of public service to make sure their information is true and accurate before jumping in with both feet.

Last edited: