Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Forces Pension Society - Protecting Your Interests

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not a messdeck lawyer at all, just stating facts.

You knew the pension rights when you signed on, do 22 or no pension. Thems were the rules in them thar days, harsh maybe, but that's the way it was.

The sales pitch is for those hardest hit by Forces pension changes. You don't qualify for a Forces pension under the rules you signed up to so don't have a case!

I am a Naval pensioner but I don't qualify for a pension by the rules as they were when I signed up in 1966, so your point is specious. However, I do qualify under the Social Security Act 1973 and the regulations of the consequent AFPS 1975.
The point is not about the qualifying rules as they were when signing up but the chronological scope of application of subsequent rules which favoured some who signed up under the previous narrowly drawn pension rules and not others.

I hadn't expected a pension when I took my discharge, I thought I didn't qualify and I was pleasantly surprised when I was awarded a preserved pension.
I believe that before April 1975 anyone who completed 12 years reckonable service and less than 22 years was awarded a pro rata gratuity on top of their resettlement grant on discharge.
Perhaps it would have been wise to have invested that gratuity in a private pension scheme instead of treating it as a windfall to be squandered.
I'm sure that some did invest it but I suspect many didn't.

"There have been long-running campaigns that the right to a preserved pension should be extended to those who left before April 1975. Successive governments have argued that discretionary changes to improve the benefits from public service pension schemes should be implemented from a current date for future service only. Improvements are not applied retrospectively, as to do otherwise would “make any worthwhile improvements unaffordable.”

House of Commons Library
Armed Forces Pension Scheme and preserved pensions Standard Note: SN 1151

The bottom line, then, is that it would cost too much since, ironically, for the sake of fairness, such discretionary arrangements would have to apply to all public service employees affected as well.
Do I think this is unjust? Yes, I do.

Last edited:

Jack Sparrow

Lantern Swinger
I don't qualify for a pension by the rules under which I signed up in 1966 but I do under the Social Security Act 1973 and the regulations of the subsequent AFPS 1975.
I hadn't expected a pension when I took my discharge and I was pleasantly surprised when I was awarded a preserved pension.
I believe that before April 1975 anyone who completed 12 years reckonable service and less than 22 years was awarded a pro rata gratuity on top of their resettlement grant on discharge.
Perhaps it would have been wise to have invested that gratuity in a private pension scheme.
Having served 12 years from 1960 to 1971 I was awarded exactly nothing when I was discharged, perhaps the establishment trick was to take recruits at 15 years old and then say that I (in fact my parents!) had signed on for 9 years, starting from the age of 18? So what shall we call the 3 years before the age of 15? Slavery? Servitude? Captivity? Because if I wasn't officially serving the queen, just what was I being forced to do?

Having served 12 years from 1960 to 1971 I was awarded exactly nothing when I was discharged, perhaps the establishment trick was to take recruits at 15 years old and then say that I (in fact my parents!) had signed on for 9 years, starting from the age of 18? So what shall we call the 3 years before the age of 15? Slavery? Servitude? Captivity? Because if I wasn't officially serving the queen, just what was I being forced to do?

I don't feel your pain because I started my service two days before my eighteenth birthday but I must say I agree with you. I think you should at least be accredited for nine of those years.
I think, but I don't know for sure, that no pension scheme will accept members under the age of eighteen. In the case of the Workplace Pension Scheme the lower age is twenty two years.

By the way, did you know that the SSA1973 was enacted to satisfy the conditions of our entry to the Common Market? I suspect that if we hadn't joined, the pension regulations pre 1975 would have remained, they might even have worsened.

Last edited:
I find the following interesting, it's from a government information leaflet.

"Following the introduction of preserved pensions in 1975, those individuals who served after 31 March 1975 and who left the Armed Forces with a preserved pension award could have their pension transferred to another public sector scheme. "
On discharge, I was told specifically that I could not transfer my preserved pension to any other pension scheme.
I don't know whether or not being denied transferring my pension to the public sector scheme I subsequently joined on discharge has disadvantaged me financially.

Last edited:
Yet again there is a petition aimed at Parliament about Armed Forces pensions...

The post Petition to Parliament appeared first on Forces Pension Society.

I'm appalled that there is such ignorance about the taxable status of non armed forces public service pensions. Petitions such as the one reported here, based on a misapprehension of fact, paint armed services pensioners in a very poor light and does those who negotiate well founded pension issues on our behalf no favours at all.

I believe that it is incumbent upon anyone attempting to draw comparisons between the pension arrangements of the various areas of public service to make sure their information is true and accurate before jumping in with both feet.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vauxhall Changes to the Forces Pension Society Roadshow Programme Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Forces Pension Society Appoints New Chief of Staff Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall The Forces Pension Society is recruiting Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Forces Pension Society Appoints New Chief Executive Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Job Vacancy at the Forces Pension Society Finance & Pensions 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp THE FORCES PENSION SOCIETY Finance & Pensions 1
Archstoker Forces pension and age pension Finance & Pensions 6
vauxhall Flexible Service - How does it affect your Armed Forces Pension? Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall The Armed Forces Pension is Very Good Indeed! Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Do you receive an Armed Forces Pension? MoD News 1
B Armed Forces Pension Calculator - Revisied Finance & Pensions 2
T Service Attributable Pension (SAP) =Armed Forces Attributable Benefits (AFAB) scheme Finance & Pensions 1
digger84 Armed Forces must wait five years longer for pension. Finance & Pensions 3
Forces Pension Society New Armed Forces Pension Scheme - consultation Finance & Pensions 3
scouse Armed Forces Pension Diamond Lil's 1
R Proposed Pension Plans for the Armed Forces The Fleet Air Arm 0
R Armed Forces Pension Group Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS British Armed Forces Minister arrives in Cairo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish bred at Environment Agency’s fish farm used for rehabilitation of armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Nesscliff kitchen and dining facility improves experience for armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thailand joins forces with AstraZeneca on COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thailand joins forces with AstraZeneca on COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ocean Turtle Diving: a Forces Friendly dive school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIO completes new homes for forces families in Cyprus MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS CNC joins forces with Kent Police in new community patrol initiative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for armed forces community to contribute to the Frontline Project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC achieves silver award in supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS 127 new employers awarded for supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India join forces on new £8 million research MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Armed Forces personnel to receive 2% pay rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free ‘wraparound’ childcare for the armed forces MoD News 0
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding to support armed forces charities doing vital work during pandemic MoD News 0
soleil Forces News: "How Is The Defence Animal Training Regiment Working During Lockdown?" Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces Maintaining Critical Defence Activities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: British, French and Dutch join forces in the Caribbean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's Armed Forces efforts recognised by Scottish Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government and video games industry join forces in fight against coronavirus MoD News 0