The flying Lemon: more F35 / C&T bollocks

Glad to see that the F35b is continuing to prove the worst buy ever. You are not allowed to fly it unless you you weigh more than 9st 10lbs due to the fact that on ejection your neck will be broken. This would be caused by the bulky helmet used for all round vision. It is only going to years two years to fix it. As the RAF will own the planes we can only hope they won't let the RN have any. So the RN can order the Super Hornet or the Rafael, oh sorry I forgot, no Cats and Traps. What a shambles.

Glad to see that the F35b is continuing to prove the worst buy ever. You are not allowed to fly it unless you you weigh more than 9st 10lbs due to the fact that on ejection your neck will be broken. This would be caused by the bulky helmet used for all round vision. It is only going to years two years to fix it. As the RAF will own the planes we can only hope they won't let the RN have any. So the RN can order the Super Hornet or the Rafael, oh sorry I forgot, no Cats and Traps. What a shambles.

Glad to see that the F35b is continuing to prove the worst buy ever. You are not allowed to fly it unless you you weigh more than 9st 10lbs due to the fact that on ejection your neck will be broken.
No doubt one of the resident Woo's will correct me (??urban myth) however I seem to recall that you had to be a certain height to fly the Hunter as if you were too tall the ejection seat took your legs off at the knees ... and we (UK) were flying them for eons!

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
No doubt one of the resident Woo's will correct me (??urban myth) however I seem to recall that you had to be a certain height to fly the Hunter as if you were too tall the ejection seat took your legs off at the knees ... and we (UK) were flying them for eons!
Close - it was the Folland Gnat (Hawk predecessor) and the reason we kept some Hunters was for folk too tall to fit into the Gnat.

A US friend got most of the way through carrier training in a TA-4 Skyhawk... that would have killed him if he'd had to eject (knees taken off by the instruments, plus he'd have been breaking the canopy with his head not the spikes on the seat - he was too long in the back and the thigh for the aircraft) but that was the 1970s and they got away wit this being an incentive for Jeff to fly well enough not to need to bang out...

G

guestm

March yourself briskly off and get some new material you dung trumpet, and take your time doing it. All the time you need.

Barged.

1. Ejection seats have always had limits on them for weight, height and buttock-knee length. The F35 having a limit is nothing new.
2. Who the hell weighs less than 9st 10lbs and will be flying the F35?
3. If it is associated with the helmet weight then it's a matter of beefing up the neck muscles....easily accomplished.
4. Raphael is a painter. Raphale is a Frog jet.
5. Lightning was the worst for removing kneecaps. Patching switches on the Harrier could catch the boot laces upon ejection, hence the natty flaps that Bona Mates had on their boots.
6. What Monty said.

I bet that you are a connoisseur of 'bulky helmets.' You taster of japseyes.

1. Ejection seats have always had limits on them for weight, height and buttock-knee length. The F35 having a limit is nothing new.
2. Who the hell weighs less than 9st 10lbs and will be flying the F35?
we (an overseas air force) have a girl currently in flight training with aspirations be an F35 pilot. She weighs less than 8 1/2 stone.

we (an overseas air force) have a girl currently in flight training with aspirations be an F35 pilot. She weighs less than 8 1/2 stone.
Will her feet reach the pedals?
Seriously, the F-35 isn't the only high performance aircraft with height/weight restrictions but provided she meets the other stringent criteria for flying fast jets, her aspirations should be attainable within the next 18 months:
USAF: Expanded Risk of Neck Damage to F-35 Pilots
Defense News 19 Oct 2015 said:
The Fix
In addition to designing a lighter helmet, the JPO is looking into two other fixes to the ejection problem, DellaVedova said. First, the team is working on installing a switch on the seat for lightweight pilots that will delay deployment of the main parachute. The proposed weight switch set will keep the drogue chute attached longer to further reduce the speed of the seat before the main parachute deploys.
In addition, the program will mount a “head support panel,” a fabric panel sewn between the parachute risers that will protect the pilot’s head from moving backwards during the parachute opening. This will prevent the potential hyperextension of the neck and protect the head. Martin-Baker is financing an upcoming ejection seat sled test that will test the head support panel, DellaVedova said. These two fixes will be introduced when the next upgrade of the ejection seat comes online near the end of 2016.
All three fixes will be fully implemented by summer 2017, DellaVedova noted...
One male pilot at Eglin Air Force Base was grounded by the restriction, but Air Force leadership has decided to move him to a new career path, the official said. Meanwhile, although experts expect women to be disproportionately affected, the first and only female F-35 pilot, Lt. Col. Christine Mau, the 33rd Operations Group deputy commander, is still flying the plane.