The Floods.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BillyNoMates, Dec 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For all of those families currently affected by this flooding caused by the usual shit British weather this close to Christmas, I really hope that you can salvage something from the waters and that folk rally round to ensure you all have as good a Christmas as possible.
    It can't be nice and I feel for you all.

From,

Mister BillyNoMates

2. Whilst the weather is usually shit this time of year, and I have seen plenty of floods in Cumbria before, I have NEVER in my life seen them of that level. That was absolutely unprecedented. The last decade or so has seen them get progressively worse. I cannot comprehend and dread to think how they can possibly get worse than they just did, but history is now telling us that each time, they do get worse.

I await climate change deniers to wade in, in the meantime, the Met office have given up shirking away from it:

There is an increasing body of evidence that shows that extreme daily rainfall rates are becoming more intense, and that the rate of increase is consistent with what is expected from the fundamental physics of a warming world.

• Like Like x 2
  3. My tv is tuned to North East instead of Yorkshire (you are only getting a 'potted' version on main news BBC) and one report gives 13 inches of rain in one area, after 2009 and new defences in place they were told this sort of extreme weather was a once in 250 yrs event. Defences gave an early warning but they never expected this amount , HTF do you plan your life, how do you insure..again, could you sell up ?, we know how powerfull the sea can be but this is unprecedented as Monty sed , on this scale on this Island .We usually flood big time here but this time we were lucky with only a fraction of what Cumbria had to endure. Estimated £200 million just to fix the washed out roads/bridges.

4. People can't sell their houses, they're also now paying enormous insurance premiums and many companies are STILL refusing to pay out from 2009. When the 2.5 ft flood defences were added to the walls in Keswick we were told it was 'impossible' for the water to ever get high enough to come over:

Derwent.jpg
    The water was so deep in Carlisle it reached the top of front doors and ground floor windows. All around the county bridges and roads have been washed away.

Every time it happens we're told it's a one-off. It isn't, and it's getting worse every time.

5. It's not going to get better either, more incoming forecast for Thursday and Friday !!

6. I am not a Chrimbo person, but may I join with BNM, and wish you all the best.

7. to expand on MLPs phost, please see the attached that shows the normal level of the river, admittedly in a warmer dryer month

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. The depth of the water in Carlisle: image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Last night Glenridding and other areas flooded again. When locals called for more sandbags, (which were promised after last weekend) there were none to be had. They hadn't arrived.

Way to go Cobra.

10. My thoughts with the people of Cumbria, I've friends up that as well as knowing MLP.

11. Its not close to London therefore it doesn't matter :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Some more aftermath photos:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. I was working at Barrow in 2009, this looks worse.

My son a Geologist and my daughter and environmentalist, agree on one thing the world is warming up but we as dwellers are only playing a small part, but a small part can be crucial. The world turns out more gases from natural sources than the world’s population can achieve, the planet goes through heating and cooling cycles, there have been many ice ages and the London area has been in the tropics sometime in the past, so all we are doing is speeding up the process at a time of natural climate temp change increase, by how much who knows, the down side to this is the climate will keep on changing, and at this moment in history is on an up cycle aided and a bettered from us? There are no real records from that far back in history, so the boffins best guess is just that an educated guess, they do not really know.

https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-climate-change/the-science-of-climate-change/climate-variations-natural-and-human-factors/a-natural-climate-cycle/

Add to my last

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2015/dec/global-co2-emissions.cfm?utm_source=Adestra&utm_campaign=E%26T%20Daily%20-%20New%20Version&utm_medium=Newsletters%20-%20E%26T%20Daily&utm_content=E%26T%20Daily&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Feandt.theiet.org%2Fnews%2F2015%2Fdec%2Fglobal-co2-emissions.cfm&utm

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. It is. Significantly.

15. Repeat Billy's well wishes

16. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

All jokes aside, good luck up there!

17. Glad I moved along the wall when I did, however my family are still there, all 499,800 of them.

18. I'd like to add my best wishes to the good folk of Cumbria, there's nothing more soul destroying than a flood through your house.

19. Apart from TWO floods through your house.....

20. More rain forecast for Saturday Monty , stay safe mate and your family.