The Finknottle clone situation.

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Nov 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why am I bothered?

I'll freely admit to caring about this site but should such clever cloning become widespread then who could place any trust in any replies posted to genuine queries at RR?

Re: Finknottle Mk2 (hereafter known as <<Not 'Le Fink'>>),

His recent arrival as an exact clone, acting and posting in a manner quite unlike the grand original, indicates ingenuity but has also caused some genuine confusion, particularly with regard to motives (if there are any?).

Sock-puppets we are accustomed to and live with but this cloning is a new phenomenon at RR and begs the following questions:

Why would the original Finknottle person (notably quiet on this matter – I considered running this Post through with Finks by PM before posting - But which one would have received it/replied?) suddenly clone himself and act well out of character to that which he has developed over a very long period?

I’d answer - Only if had flipped or if he suddenly started seeking unusual amusements. Either is possible but both seem unlikely. I believe that if the original Finks had something, however contentious, to contribute he’s old and bold enough to post it under his own c/s as has always been his wont.

OTOH - If <<Not 'Le Fink's>> real identity is a previous/current RR regular (highly likely given his nouse around this site and it’s members) then his mischievous activities single him out as someone with past scores to settle hiding behind his new clone; in which case the likes of NMC immediately spring to mind. I reckon that we can safely rule out Chicojiz.*

What’s to be done?

Putting it mildly this situation is confusing, annoying and in very bad taste so I recommend that the account of this cloned Finknottle be closed/locked and that GCO/BCO should adjust the registration processes to prevent any other clown from becoming a clone in the future.

*‘Outing’ the perp? – Yes please - As an example and a safeguard for any of those concerned with the future of RR.

Bob

PS To those who’d justify this cloning activity by saying ‘Ah, but ‘tis the internet!’ my reply would have to be an emphatic :censored: and goodbye.

PPS Whilst addressed to those who manage this site any input from others, and either of the two Finknottles, might be useful, too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. He has used false logins before to back up his points. I'd also question your use of the word "ingenuity". There's nothing ingenious about coming up with a clone account and then wheeling out frankly terrible insults and posts. If there was any sign of ingenuity from this person who is clearly suffering from mental health issues and an obsession with members of an internet site he'd have covertly arrived as a new member and done it with much more style.

He cries and uses CAPITAL LETTERS to highlight his rage in pm too. Poof.

Clones are easily identified by their post numbers anyway.

3. Agree, If not checked now we could have all manner of clones cluttering the site and regular posters could leave as the site turns to shite.

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's the key point. The use of mis-spelt names or letters in a diferent case has been going on since the old King died. The one thing that cannot be falsified is the number of posts - its the clone's version of the adam's apple which immediately tells you the poster is not the original.

I see no reason to sweat it, in fact target to your front - in your own time go on..........

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And I would add that it's a copy cat, not a clone as by your own admission, he is hardly a replica of the original.

6. Regarding my copycat, I have my suspicions as to who he is and I think that he hopes I will be drawn in; he will be thwarted as I have no intention of doing so.

7. Its chat not PM. And you are the one with the homoerotic bent. Whatever bad things happened to you as a child has left you angry with the world and you feel the need to push people around. If you stick to your usual methods you will now post a funny picture that shows how big and clever you are and how small and weak I am.

PS I love you really

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Other than the adam's apple referred to by silverfox, the difference between the two usernames is the 'i'. The alternate's i is a Spanish exclamation mark. Original finknottle, imposter f¡nknottle.

f¡nknottle didn't go weekenders.

9. blah blah blah, burp,fart, snort, dribble.

how much farting around to say very little that could have been covered with:-

'grow up fellas, lets stop this sockpuppet/cloning shite, admins sort it out'

ta ta.

10. Oh look the clever jack dusty has made up another username. It's a shame I was hoping your terminal illness had started to kick in by now. What a ******* loser.

11. Christ. It has become an obsession now. A major league Internet meltdown by an Olympic level turd necker. It's moments like this that make all the spaz baiting worthwhile, we might have the ultimate pay off.

Awesome, I hope the final minutes end up on dailymotion.

12. Something I have mentioned to one of the mods is the possibility that mods might be able to see the IP's of users. not for tracking to a location or anything as dramatic, but to match it with another user, to at least see if they have logged in from the same computer. I know of other forums that use this method to 'out' sockpuppets. I don't know if this is feasible, let alone possible, but that's a thought.

13. thats what proxy servers are for dipshit.

14. SA's are getting technical now days. Go and lay down and die in the corner like a good samehead.

15. Seadog

Not only does young Scruff know about officerness but he knows about modness. Scruff, don't you think that the moderators know what tools are at their disposal?

I may just start using the deleting one.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  16. Have to confess that I'm not fully conversant with the full range of Mod Powers; having said that, the ones I use on a day to day basis which relate to merging threads etc, I am pretty competent in.

I will say, in young Scruffy's defence, that this was floated to me as an idea by him/her when we were chatting about other things yesterday. He/she honestly didn't put it across in quite the way it might be coming across now - it was more a question as to whether this was something Mods had at their disposal - he/she wasn't trying to teach his/her Grandmother to suck eggs, as the saying goes, he/she just asked me in passing whether this was something Mods are able to do. If I remember correctly, I said that I thought that some Mods knew how to do this but that I didn't and would have to ask the more experienced Mods.

17. Seadog

Some of you will be delighted to know that f¡nknottle has been banned as has Bob_is_boring. Trolling ****.
    The original finknottle is still here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Apologies for my late arrival on the scene but have had a particularly busy weekend. You may also notice that we're getting db errors (again) which is proving to be quite a pain

Now sorted i think

Unfortunately this is extremely difficult to implement in practice. If you have any suggestions then I'd love to hear them!?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We use this on the PRMC forum, it works a treat: Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) - vBulletin.org Forum

Basically any chimp with a multiple ID is identified by cookies on their computer rather than IP addresses, proxy servers, etc. Even if they clear their cookie cache, it still ID's them.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.