The Falklands War.

Just seen on faceache. Of interest to @Ninja_Stoker

Last night our father crossed the bar.

Lt CDR Brian Frank Dutton DSO. QGM

He joined the navy as a boy and at 16 was serving on HMS Belfast in A Gun during the Korean War.

He changed Branches to become a Club Swinger, rising to POPTI when he took and passed his maths and English O levels and went SD .

At the time we’d lived at Lossiemouth and Arbroath.

A move to Portsmouth followed. He then served on Bulwark and Albion. The promotion in the PT branch was dead mans shoes so he changed branches and became an MCDO.

He absolutely loved his mine clearance diving work and earned a QGM for a particularly nasty German mine trapped in the jaws of a dredging craft off Felixstowe.

He was twice I/C Portsmouth and Medway MCD UNIT

In 1982 he received his redundancy notice, MCDO’s no longer required. Then the Falklands happened. Redundancy Notice in hand he and his team went to the South Atlantic.

There they disposed of 8+ bombs dropped into our ships which failed to detonate.

The worst was on the Argonaut. It took over 5 days to remove. For this he received the DSO.

He came back and was made redundant.

He once,post Falklands, came down Conqueror and admitted he could not think of being in boats.

He was also wheelman on several occasions for Chatham Field Gun Team in the 50’s

RIP Dad

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Many thanks @Taztiff, understand the funeral is Weds 23rd May at Portsmouth Anglican Catherdral 16:00. I'll be paying my respects, one of many I imagine, thank you. An inspirational gentleman.

Many thanks @Taztiff, understand the funeral is Weds 23rd May at Portsmouth Anglican Catherdral 16:00. I'll be paying my respects, one of many I imagine, thank you. An inspirational gentleman.
Agree. One of the best that makes us all proud to be part of the same service.
The post came up on a closed Fisgard Facebook page so I could not post the link directly.
I will be on holiday in the West Indies that day - may have to have a small rum in respect even though I never met him.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Agree. One of the best that makes us all proud to be part of the same service.
The post came up on a closed Fisgard Facebook page so I could not post the link directly.
I will be on holiday in the West Indies that day - may have to have a small rum in respect even though I never met him.
Enjoy your hols :)

I'm working in Pompey that week as things stand, so will hopefully be able to get into the cathedral as one of the Argonaut uniformed representatives.

Frankly, if it's pissing down, chocker and I'm stood outside, it matters not, he's earned it.

This was our father Brian Dutton.

I have only just joined the NN website. I am now going through his extensive collection of photographs and I will share them on this website and others so folk can use them as they see fit and perhaps add to our understanding of the old man.

I am one of three sons, the middle one, and all three of us at one time were in the Mob. To my great shame the old man was a bubble head and the two brothers skimmers, leaving me to pursue the gentle art of being a submariner.

We also had an uncle who also serve in the RN he too was a skimmer.. ;-)

As a Naval family and all of us three sons joining up at 16 years old we never had much time with Dad, that was the way of Naval life 1950 -1980, long deployments and short leaves. So as I post pics any feedback will be welcome so we can understand what he did.

Dad's funeral was a grand affair and he was sent off with all honours. His ashes will be scattered at sea on Sept 26th. His last wish. Our Family thanks to all who attended his funeral at Portsmouth Cathedral and made it so special.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
This was our father Brian Dutton.

I have only just joined the NN website. I am now going through his extensive collection of photographs and I will share them on this website and others so folk can use them as they see fit and perhaps add to our understanding of the old man.

I am one of three sons, the middle one, and all three of us at one time were in the Mob. To my great shame the old man was a bubble head and the two brothers skimmers, leaving me to pursue the gentle art of being a submariner.

We also had an uncle who also serve in the RN he too was a skimmer.. ;-)

As a Naval family and all of us three sons joining up at 16 years old we never had much time with Dad, that was the way of Naval life 1950 -1980, long deployments and short leaves. So as I post pics any feedback will be welcome so we can understand what he did.

Dad's funeral was a grand affair and he was sent off with all honours. His ashes will be scattered at sea on Sept 26th. His last wish. Our Family thanks to all who attended his funeral at Portsmouth Cathedral and made it so special.
I think we met on the day and what a day of reflection, admiration and respect.

For me, stood with a fellow Argonaut, it was an honour to attend the service and have a brief chat afterwards.

To my surprise, during the service, I found myself stood next to my former shipmate, Barking Bob (MCDO, recently left HMS QE and finally, deservedly, promototed)... And finally meeting @Naval_Gazer. A day to remember .