Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Execution of Saddam Hussein Al-Tikriti

There is much controversy about the hanging and its filming. I for one am not against the filming it reminds us not only how brutal an event it is but also of the fact that by applying this sanction society actually turns the villain into a victim - hard to believe in the case of SH but I felt there were elements of this even in this case.

It is tragic that he wasn't tried at the International Criminal Court - farcical though this seems at tiems - but we all know why that didn't happen given the US's fear of being dragged there too given the actions of their soldiers and leaders and also (as Bergen pointed out) the publicity this would give to western involvement in SH's taking and maintaining power.

If the death penalty had to be applied then this was obviously the wrong time and place to do it - and in the case of SH with his 4 doubles lots of people will I am sure be wondering who exactly it was who they saw being executed.

To stop the conspiracy theories of Saddam's double being hanged instead of him, why not hang anyone that looks like him. That would probably account for 80% of the population including many of the women. :twisted:

Jimmy_Green said:
To stop the conspiracy theories of Saddam's double being hanged instead of him, why not hang anyone that looks like him. That would probably account for 80% of the population including many of the women. :twisted:

They could have some kind of field execution squad to do this! They could be issued with trilby hats and berets. I can see it now....

"excuse me sir.. could you just pop this hat on for me".
"what like this"?
"yep, thats it you mudering b*****d! You cannot hide from us Saddam, not now we are using the powerful justice seeking trilby hats"!

golden_rivet said:
There is much controversy about the hanging and its filming. I for one am not against the filming it reminds us not only how brutal an event it is but also of the fact that by applying this sanction society actually turns the villain into a victim - hard to believe in the case of SH but I felt there were elements of this even in this case.

It is tragic that he wasn't tried at the International Criminal Court - farcical though this seems at tiems - but we all know why that didn't happen given the US's fear of being dragged there too given the actions of their soldiers and leaders and also (as Bergen pointed out) the publicity this would give to western involvement in SH's taking and maintaining power.

If the death penalty had to be applied then this was obviously the wrong time and place to do it - and in the case of SH with his 4 doubles lots of people will I am sure be wondering who exactly it was who they saw being executed.

The ICC would have been the correct venue and his trial should have been beyond reproach. What people may have forgotten is that the first trial judge Rizgar Amin was removed from his post by the USA for criticising American interference in the trial procedures. He was a Kurd and one of the most respected judges in Iraq. At the same time 3 of the Defence lawyers were assassinated because the Shi'ite governement would not approve bodyguards for them. They were replaced by an inexperienced Shi'ite appointed team of lawyers who simply provided lip service to the US kangaroo court.

If anyone took the trouble to listen to Saddam's last words he was saying words to the effect that the Persians were the executioners; and in this he was perfectly correct. The Iranians are the big winners here and they control the Shi'ite government in Iraq and al-Sadr's militias.

At the end of WW2 the Nuremburg trials disposed of the Nazis and there was little dispute that the trials were impartial and followed international standards of jurisprudence. This trial and the subsequent lynching have set Saddam up as a potential martyr for the Sunnis; not only in Iraq but throughout the Umma. The west will have to think and act a lot smarter than this.......as I've said before; when you find yourself in a big hole the first thing to do is to stop digging.

RM

To be fair what amases me more than anything about the whole affair is the fact that he ever got to court let alone be hanged (after all it was a known fact that they would give him a fair trial and THEN hang him).

Makes you wonder what would have happened had some real soldiers been the first into that hole in the ground?

"Look what we've got here"..."he's trying to escape" Oh damn my grenade just went off and he's the only one down there, and look his head has come off! let's take it back to show the world"

And don't you know that if the CIA or any other sensible organisation had got there first that would have been the scenario - 'end of'

the Walrus

Safewalrus wrote
Makes you wonder what would have happened had some real soldiers been the first into that hole in the ground?

"Look what we've got here"..."he's trying to escape" Oh damn my grenade just went off and he's the only one down there, and look his head has come off! let's take it back to show the world"

Is that your idea of a real soldier's behaviour when taking a prisoner? :roll:

And don't you know that if the CIA or any other sensible organisation had got there first that would have been the scenario - 'end of'

No we don't know. Neither do you. And please open the PM that has been in your inbox for days through several logins. Thank you.

There seems to be more news and a little more clarity around the circumstances leading up to the hanging.

The top two US officials in Iraq were both away on leave [General Casey Head of US Forces and US Ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzhad]. Neither had knowledge of the intended execution and both attempted to stop it by urging the US not to hand over custody of Saddam Hussein.

They were overruled by Condoleeza Rice [AKA Madam Supertanker] and Stephen Hadley, a well known neocon and Shrub's security advisor. The President of Iraq Jalal Talabani refused to sign the execution order and also attempted to stop it being carried out until after Eid.

More worrying - and something that is being widely reported in the Arab press is that the Shi'ite militia leader Muqtada al-Sadr was actually in the execution room and was one of the hooded figures verbally abusing Saddam Hussein in the seconds before his death. Also reported is that the hangman's noose is in al-Sadr's possession and that a Kuwaiti businessman is offering $10 million for it.

Money for old rope?

RM

Seadog said:
All very interesting and likely Bergen. Where did you read this? According to whom?

Hi Seadog

There are numerous but scattered references to all of this and I will try and cross-reference to the most conservative sources:

The International Herald Tribune [Africa and Middle East section] has an extensive and detailed article titled "Iraq & US officials feuded over Saddam's execution". A key paragraph in the article states "Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice supported by National Security Advisor Stephen J. Hadley gave the green light for Hussein to be turned over despite objections by US military commanders on the ground in Baghdad".

Corriere della Stella an Italian newspaper has the best account of al-Sadr's presence in the execution room with highlighted photographs comparing one of the hooded hangmen to Muqtada al-Sadr himself. It is also reported in various arabic newspapers and all of them point out the fact that al-Sadr's father was himself executed by the Ba'athists on Saddam's orders.

Al Arabiya television there are many references to the Kuwaiti businessman's attempt to buy the hangman's noose but the most detailed is carried by Al Arabiya which is a Dubai based TV station and again quite conservative.

I suppose what I'm trying to point out is that there were a lot of senior people who could see that the execution during Eid was simply going to provoke the Sunnis across the entire region. The way that the execution descended into a lynching showed how little control the US has over the Shi'ite government of Maliki and the Shi'ite militias in general.

I'm sure that you can picture how the Iranians must have been smiling in the background.

RM

Latest Threads