The Eurovision Song Contest - is there a point to it?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by SILVER_FOX, May 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. GREAT ENTERTAINMENT FOR ALL - LOVE IT!

100.0%
  2. MIND DUMBING CRAP - HATE IT!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. DON'T GIVE A FECK EITHER WAY - OFF DOWN THE PUB!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7417527.stm

It's supposed to be an unbiased competition for amateurs but increasingly it is just an opportunity for countries, particularly from the eastern block, to vent by not voting for those they don't like. Everyone moans about it, our songs are always [apparently] crap and we all allegedly groan when this time of year comes around.

So is it a bad thing or do we all secretly like to have a peek, if only to eye up the talent [not talking about that feckin turkey here].

SF

2. Ireland's turkey was knocked out in the semis according to the BBC this morning. Apparently the jokes were in English and lost something in the translation. Mrs NG and I will be treating this songfest with the same gravitas as Terry Wogan; the more outrageous the better. :bball:

On a more serious note, the voting does illustrate the potential power of all these former Eastern Bloc nations to skew future EU policy decisions when they get their act together.

3. The answer to the question is NO. A truly pointless exercise.

The original concept was to use the New pan European Television Link. We now have Pan world Sat TV.

Sorry the Turkey has been knocked out, but it does mean that Ireland will NOT have the expense of having to stage the next one....

4. Complete and utter crap, complete waste of any TV licence money.

5. Is there a point to The Olympics?
    Is there a point to The Commonwealth Games?
    Is there a point to Jade Goodie?

The Urinevision Song Contest is a piss-take, and
    an expensive piss-take to boot. My money is on
    the Albanian entry "I'm too well-hung for my goat"
    (A tribute to Right said Fred)

6. of course there is! you get to listen to the lovely Togmeister taking the mickey!

7. It's a complete joke. If it wasn't for Teryy i wouldn't watch it.

8. Billy

Olympics OK, Commonwealth Games also pointless but Jade Goody now you can't really say she is pointless, she articulates on TV the thoughts of many contributors to these stimulating pages.

Nutty

10. Wife and daughter like it, but what made me laugh this week was the fact that the rest of the European countries have cottoned on to Wogan taking the piss.

It was reported that they're not happy that he doesn't treat the contest with the seriousness it deserves!

:jocolor:

11. Ditto. But its the only thing I can stand him in :dwarf:

12. Wogan makes it , especialy during the scoring , only bit i can watch in fact , :thumright:

13. [quote="Streaky
    Wife and daughter like it, but what made me laugh this week was the fact that the rest of the European countries have cottoned on to Wogan taking the piss.

It was reported that they're not happy that he doesn't treat the contest with the seriousness it deserves!

:jocolor:[/quote]
    I would submit that he treats the "contest" with precisely the degree of respect it deserves.i.e. as a comedy and something not to be taken at all seriously

14. Just one of the many reasons I fled the UK, kill it off.

15. Song Contest? total and utter crap, but Jade Goody!, yes Ohh yes, I would defo.

Taxi!, taxi!,.................Tax ferkin si!!!!

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nothing wrong with Jade, how many of her critics can equal her bank balance. If there's any fault look and the general public/media who have enabled her to make this sort of money.