The "Dunkirk Jack"

Discussion in 'History' started by bensonby, Sep 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I have a quick query, I was reading the wikipedia article on Dunkirk and red about the "Dunkirk Jack" - a st George's Flag that may be run up the jackstaff of a vessel that served at Dunkirk.

It's unreferenced, and its not something that I'd heard before but seems interesting, could someone point me toward more information about it and other info about the various maritime flags in use (and the rules surrounding what can be flown)? Are there many ships and boats that still have this priviledge?

2. Bensonby if you found us you should have located this which answers your questions.

Dunkirk Little Ships

3. funnily enough that didn't come up when I googled "Dunirk Jack" - I asked you lot because I knew you'd probably know a thing or two as I lurk occassionaly when pointed here from ARRSE. :)

4. The ADLS have two flag "honours";

Firstly the rigt to fly the St George Cross, defaced with the crest of the town of Dunkirk (France, naturally) at all times; provided that they are also flying a Red Ensign. Those with the right to fly blue or white ensigns usually dispense with that right, because the Dunkirk flag was earnt by the boat, rather than any individual.

Secondly, when "cruising in company" (no lewd jokes, please), the undefaced cross of St George may also be flown. As any reader will know this is the flag of the Admiralty, and may only, normally, be flown by an Admiral. Again the red ensign shows that no admiral is embarked, but continues to signify the honour bestowed on the boat for its service at Dunkirk. As the undefaced cross may only be flown when two or more boats are gathered together the potential confusion over the prescence of an admiral is therby avoided.

The ADLS continus to thrive, despite sadly losing Mr Baxter last year. They even have thier own foundation to raise money for saving and re-building the remaining "Little Ships". They hold many rallies and socials, and always invite the Dunkirk vetrans to join them. Much like HMS Victory these boats represent a significant moment in UK (maritime) history; and the owners understand the importance of maintaining them for future generations.

A lesson, perhaps, for Mr Brown?
  5. The old ferry Queen Boadicea used to run between Stonehouse and Mount Edgecumbe and carried a small brass plaque commemorating her history at Dunkirk. Strange coincidence that Lt. Piers Edgcumbe, the heir to the Edgcumbe Estate was drowned at Dunkirk.

6. I was once informed the floating Galley of fountain lake fame was used at Dunkirk & D Day ,but not sure if old salt was blowing smoke up my arse?
  7. probably a bone question, but what act, or acts, regulate what ensigns can be flown and by whom? I assume they come from acts of parliament and are not just convention.....
  8. I think Merchant Shipping Act 1894