The Duke of Buccleuch. RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ordinary Seaman Johnnie Dalkeith (served RN 1941-45) died on 4 September 2007. Better known as the Duke of Buccleuch (pronounced: Buckley) & Queensbury, he has a distinguished career joining the RN at the age of 18 for his war service, unusually (then) in the ranks for a youth was was an Earl, and followed his naval career with service in the House of Commons until he suceeded his father to the Dukedom. Before and during the BSE crisis the Palace of Westminster bought its beef from his Estate.

My condolences to his people.
  2. Re: Ordinary Seaman Dalkeith RIP

Sorry AAC your accent is not quite right, it is more like Buckloo. A well respected gent, the acceptable side of land owning aristocracy.
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Ordinary Seaman Dalkeith RIP

Commissioned in short order and demobbed as a Lt Cdr RNVR if I'm not mistaken. Subsequently Honorary Captain RNR I'm sure of.

His other title was Duke of Queensberry (not Queensbury). His Grace was well respected by all accounts.
  4. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

According to Wikipedia

One of the newspaper obituaries I read today said that he had distinguished himself at Eton by putting out a fire caused by an incendiary bomb.

Well thought of in Scotland. RIP.