The Diving Branch

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Obelix, Jun 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To any current or recently-retired Clearance Divers out there...

What are your impressions of the branch as a whole? Positive? Negative? Please elaborate.

Furthermore, I keep reading on this site about the govt's current neglect of the Navy, and on top of this the potential introduction of carriers, more attack subs, more missile subs. Will this have a further negative impact on the smaller areas of the RN, such as diving, on account of budgets being diverted?

I'm shortly to be joining as a diver, and am quite positive about the whole thing and will join no matter what the comments here turn out to be. But having said that, I'd like to enter with my eyes open.
  2. Obelix - As you can tell from the 'virtual' silence, the Clearance Diver Branch does not contain many website geeks like me. Most are far too busy living and working in the 'real' world.

The CD Branch has survived recent cuts almost unscathed and is actually increasing in size, responsibilities and opportunities owing to the controversial axing of nearly all the 'part-timer' Ships' Divers. To the best of my knowledge, most CDs are v. happy in their jobs despite some recent problems with their principal diving set. These should be resolved with the introduction into service of CDLSE (Clearance Divers' Life Support Equipment) later this year.

The CD Branch is one of the few elements of the RN that undertakes its primary wartime role, i.e. Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD), every day of the year. It is also involved in underwater maintenance and repair work, underwater reconnaissance and clearance operations, MCT (Maritime Counter-Terrorism) and other MACP (Military Aid to Civil Powers) tasks. Opportunities for 'travel & adventure' are better than average.

More information about becoming a CD, including this glossy, is available via the RN website here. News of recent CD Branch activity, both professional and social, is available on the MCDOA website here. Historical facts and stories about the Branch are also available on the same website.
  3. My old mate Chaz keeble joined the CD branch, apparently what we were doing inside other countries three mile limits wasn't steely eyed enough.
    What an odd person he was.......never happier than when playing with nuts and bolts.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. Cheers N_G

Informative post, relieved to hear that the branch is still strong, I was concerned that it would bear the brunt of cuts, but what you say makes sense with the disbanding of ship's divers, etc. I guess if the navy was to downsize their blue-water capability, they'd strengthen their smaller inshore capabilities. Um, just like the Belgians.

I applied in June last year, hoping to get into the diving acquaint course in Sept, so may get in the Dec intake to Raleigh if there are still spots. So basically, I'm just a bit bored and frustrated with the wait, and asking questions just for the sake of it. Guess I should rather be outside working on my run times :rambo: