THE DEMISE OF JACK THE SAILOR

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by The_Jimmy, Oct 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having had a good laugh reading some of the posts on RR and I know they are a few old salts out there would appreciate this I have ripped this off of some web page some time ago and I cannot remember where, but I am sure most of us can relate to it. I wish the Author well and invite him/her to enlighten us of his/her presence.

THE DEMISE OF JACK THE SAILOR

The traditional male sailor was not defined by his looks. He was defined by his attitude; his name was Jack Tar.

He was a happy go lucky sort of bloke; he took the good times with the bad. He didn’t cry victimization, bastardization, or discrimination or for his mum when things didn’t go his way. He took responsibility for his own, sometimes self destructive actions.

He loved a laugh; at anything or anybody. Rank, gender, race creed or behavior, it didn’t matter to Jack, he would take the piss out of anyone, including himself. If someone took it out of him he didn’t get offended; it was a natural part of life. If he offended someone else, so be it. Free from many of the mores of polite society, Jack’s manners were somewhat rough.

His ability to swear was legendary. He would stand up for his mates. Jack was extravagant with his support to those he thought needed it. He may have been right or wrong, but that didn’t matter. Jack’s mate was one of the luckiest people alive.

Jack loved women. He loved to chase them to the ends of the earth and sometimes he even caught one. (Less often than he would have you believe though) His tales of the chase and it’s conclusion, win or lose, is the stuff or legends.

Jack’s favorite drink was beer, and he could drink like a fish. His actions when inebriated would, on occasion, land him in trouble. But, he took it on the chin, did his chooks and then went and did it all again.

Jack loved his job. He took immense pride in what he did. His radar was always the best in the fleet. His engine’s always worked better than anyone else’s. His eyes could spot a contact before anyone else’s and shoot it first. It was a matter of personal pride. Jack was the consummate professional when he was at work and sober. He was a bit like a mischievous child. He had a gleam in his eye and a larger than life outlook. He was as rough as guts. You had to be pig headed and thick skinned to survive. He worked hard and played hard. His masters tut-tutted at some of his more exuberant expressions of joie de vivre, and the occasional bout of chooks let him know where his limits were.

The late 20th Century and on has seen the demise of Jack. The workplace no longer echoes with ribald comment and bawdy tales. Someone is sure to take offence. Warries, those stories of daring do and ingenuity in the face of adversity, usually while pissed, lack the audacity of the past. A wicked sense of humor is now a liability, rather than a necessity. Jack has been socially engineered out of existence. What was once normal is now offensive. Denting someone else’s over inflated opinion of their own self worth is now a crime. And so a culture dies.

Vale Jack the Sailor.

Author unknown.

I didnt see this posted anywhere on RR

Cheers

2. That last bit is all to true mate.

3. The American spellings and some of the wording hints at a non British source to me ;-)

4. You could put that down to American Spell checker on puter and the fact that it is now acceptable to use both spellings....unless of course someone wants to be anal about it....

5. Could it be that the Septics have "appropriated" the text for their own sites. The text I have posted was set to me personally by the author and was on the Crosby RNA website for several years. Dave is a well-renowned author and musician.

Unfortunately, he also plays a leading role in Crosby RNA's Sod's opera. :sign5:

James

6. deffo a possibility :) wtf are chooks btw ? thought that was an Aussie chicken :)

7. Chooks = either men under punishment, or the punishment itself.

8. you beat me to it :thanks:

9. Educated Brits have been called many things but I believe that may be a new one. We tend to find neither ignorance nor idleness impressive.

10. :thumright: Just read a book you might like to read A bit of a "TIFF" by Former Naval apprentice Bill Drake isbn o9546185 o-5 :thumright:

11. I don't know about modern matelots, but the piece certainly describes the matelots I knew both in Gens and moreso in Boats in the 50s and 60s all great characters and mates (since then it's only aquaintances).

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Feck me theres a rare thing, a WAFU Scouser thats read a book. (Big letters and lots of pictures?) :dwarf:

13. Oh dear! How can us oldies expect the textspeak generation to communicate properly when American English spelling and pronunciation become as acceptable as British English? Sadly most British people seem to, for example, pronounce TRAIT as trate - the US pronunciation, whereas it should of course be pronounced TRAY! Will we start to call the traditional british CHIP 'freedom fries'??!! o_O

14. Yo Bro ya wanna fried mars bar wid ya freedom chips? :brave: :headbang: